Author Topic: just back from the vet - what do you all think about this?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: just back from the vet - what do you all think about this?
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 12:19:49 PM »
sounds really penny pinching to me to re-use a syringe. I'd not be happy about it either (at least he changed the needles, but still).

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 01:35:58 AM »
Ive read (maybe on here?) that twice is acceptable but three times is a no no.....with every jab they are getting more blunt....Grrr! Me thinks the vet should of got the third one!  >:(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 20:53:56 PM »
I get conflicting advice when i dont see my no1 vet (if its routine visit il take whatever appt i can get). Lolas teeth are deemed dirty so im to give her more dry, next visit vet decided she needs to lose weight so im to use less dry. Next visit lola had cystitis and im asked what i feed her, i say mainly wet food and i get oh good, keep it that way  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Lucky i dont bother taking their advice cos lola would never know whats happening. Nor would i come to think of it  :shocked:

Dark Moon

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 23:36:31 PM »
thanks all.  As I said, I wasn't worried about it. If they were going to 'catch' something from one another , they would have already - long since. It's just that I had never seen this before. And, trust me, I have been to soooooooo many vets with soooooooo many cats over the years. Thought I had seen it all. Even worked with a real 'old timer' for a summer and even he used separate needles and syringes for each animal. Well, I guess in this day of recycling.... and if it does no harm.....

I have to say, I have three very subdued kitties tonight. The rest too (wondering when their time will be?).

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 23:22:05 PM »
Mine had their jabs last month and they had a separate needle and syringe for each kitten.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 22:16:36 PM »
When Memphis' litter got vaccinated I distinctly remember them using the same syringe. The only thing that was changed were the vials of vaccine.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 22:04:05 PM »
It seems unusual in this day and age - when I was working as a vet assistant many years ago we had glass syringes, and these were sterilised between patients, but (and here we are dragging aside the heavy folds of curtains that lie between then and now), I seem to recall he would reuse them with the patients brought in by the same person. Mind we had so few multiple appts in those days. Vaccinations these days generally come in glass vials which the vet uses disposable syringes on. I don't think I would be too happy, but as you say, they are all from the same household so the risk of cross-contamination is minimal ... Hope he at least changed needles ... or the third one would have been getting a painful jab ... >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 21:58:15 PM »
Sorry dont know about the syringe thingy but am sure that we have peeps whi do.

Yes vets conflicting advice is not new sadly, especially on nutrition

Dark Moon

just back from the vet - what do you all think about this?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 21:50:19 PM »
Started the conveyor belt that constitutes our yearly trips to the vet for vaccines. 3 of us went this time - Simon, Edgar and Mariah. They were all very well behaved.... well... the boys were. Mariah was somewhat less inclined to keep her opinions to herself.... (and more inclined to back them up with actions!)  Anyway this is not our 'good' vet but the local vet facility we use for 'routine maintenance' - primarily because it's 50 km closer and also less expensive. But what do you all think of this?

Each cat got 3 shots. The vet used different syringes for the three shots - BUT used the same syringe for all three cats. Changed the needle in between, but not the body of the syringe. Technically that should be o.k. as it was sterile to begin with and the serum is sterile ... but even so I feel rather uncomfortable with it. Never have seen it done before (even by this same facility).

I also get infinitely weary of vets handing out conflicting advice. This vet tells me that the cats should be fed ONLY dry food. My 'good' vet prefers that they be fed ONLY moist (though understands about some cats wanting dry).  Well, my cats have both available to them and it'll stay that way. I have had cats who ate almost only dry and yet had horrible teeth, just as I have had those who ate mostly only canned and had wonderful teeth. And every mixture in between.

But really - what do you think about the re-use of syringes? For my lot it is o.k. I guess since they would long ago have given each other pretty much anything they might have had, but it just doesn't seem like good practice to me.

Link to CatChat