Author Topic: vacinating my cats?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: vacinating my cats?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 13:26:43 PM »
When I adopted my cat I had to wait for his medical card for ages from his previous owner (who said he was up-to-date with the boosters.) Well it turned out he wasn't, he was 5 months over-due so my vet adviced me to start from scratch.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »
Depending on the make of vaccine - my vet said 6 months over is OK as a one-off but don't make a habit of it. Mine went about 6 weeks over and it was fine.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »
There's usually a bit of leeway.  I've been 4/5 weeks late before and not had to start again.  A lot will depend on the specific instructions the vaccine manufacturer gives (regardless of whether they really do last longer than 12 months, if the vaccine says boosters every 12 months required, the vet is within his/her rights to insist you start over and will claim to be just following the instructions) and your vet's interpretation of them. 

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 23:50:43 PM »
I personally see no reason why they should have to start the course again (other than money reason for your vet!!)
It is a "live" vaccine that is used and it doesnt just ran out at 12mths. I have made it clear on here many times that i dont vaccinate my cats at 12mths intervals. (my choice though)

However, You need to speak to your vet xxxx

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 22:57:45 PM »
Hi, thanks for your replys will be speaking to the vet on Monday.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 20:34:07 PM »
I would think no to doing it yourself, VNs cant do initial vaxs or boosters.

You may get away with it, feb is a short month, best phone them monday! You could get a home visit...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 19:44:35 PM »
I dont think a vet would allow you to do them at home, as they need a checkup before they are vacc'd to make sure that they are healthy and it is safe to give them the jabs, or they could be poorly. Also, while rare, cats can have reactions, so you need to make sure you are close to the vet in case it happens.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 19:05:51 PM »
You will need to speak to your vet about the time limit, you have to remember that there are different makes of preparations and not all may have the same time limit on them.

Regarding injecting at home, to be honest I do not think many vets would agree to this, then again what do I know?  This needs to be discussed with your vet, although the injection time is an ideal way for cats to have an annual MOT.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 20:03:33 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
vacinating my cats?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 18:49:56 PM »
Hi, I am a bad meowy and just realised that Leo and Lawrence my two scardy cats were due for their boosters the end of January :-[  Can they still have their boosters or will they have to start their courses again?

Another thing is I'm wondering if the vet would allow me to give them their injections at home (I'm a qualified nurse, but obviously realise that humans are different to animals) as I'm worried i will never be able to catch them and if i do the whole process will traumatise them and i will have to start all over again in gaining their trust. I realise it is important for them to have their injections as they do go out now and again, apparently when Lawrence had his first lot of injections he had to be darted through his cat carrier because he was so unapproachable :rofl:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks x
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 18:52:01 PM by ginge66 »

Link to CatChat