Author Topic: ISO info & suggestions: a cat with epilepsy  (Read 1429 times)

cat man do

Re: ISO info & suggestions: a cat with epilepsy
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 18:38:10 PM »
Eplieptic seizures are due to abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Sometimes rigors (extremes in body temperature) look like a seizure. The body starts shaking in an attempt to heat or cool itself.

Usually caused by abnormal brain tissue of some kind but can also be due to metabolic disorders. Tumours of the brain can sadly cause epilepsy. (benign and malignant).

The actual seizure itself is the brain tissue firing in an unorganised way causing muscle spasm and other things like biting on the tongue, drooling.

It can range from just general confusion to a full grown "grand mal" seizure with loss of consciousness and muscle spasm.

Humans sometimes talk of an "aura" before a seizure. This refers to some kind of symptom beforehand. ie a headache or bright light.

Seizures can be partial or complex partial in nature. The kind of seizure it is will denote the response.

After there is normally a period of tiredness or confusion and then the condition resolves.

It can be very distuirbing to see. Unfortunately, during a seizure nothing can be done except keeping the patient safe.

Do not try and put fingers in the mouth.

Usually controlled by anti epileptic drugs. In felines this is usually phenobarbitone or diazepam.

Treatment in humans can involve removal of the abnormal brain tissue (if accesible), but unsure of this in felines.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 18:51:26 PM by cat man do »

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 19:39:15 PM »
Thanks Lynn, I will remind him of that, too :)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 19:36:10 PM »
forgot to say he will / should have minimum 12 monthly blood tests to make sure his internal organs are functioning fully and can cope with the meds (normally liver enzymes in particular is what we watch) 

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 19:32:12 PM »
Thanks Lynn for your response!!  I thought just as well about him roaming about outside... according to Vincenzo Felix doesn't get stricken with seizures anymore but you may never know.  He just left, but we will pass on your advices.  I can just say that they are lucky that the kitty takes his medications without problems, since this will be an everyday procedure for the rest of his life!!  Thanks again :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 18:14:20 PM »
Personally i wouldnt let him out no.

They need to educate themselves on what to do when he has the seizures, cats are highly dangerous in that state & also they need to make sure they know exactly how long to leave things and when to call the vet asap.

He may be fine for many years on drug therapy, i would not expect a cat to reach mid teens without the condition worsening or becoming unstable at some point, i've never known idiopathic epilepsy in felines to just "dissapear" either.

I would suggest in a cat so young further tests may be carried out to rule out the possibilty of any other cause of the fits.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 16:39:13 PM »
Okay Vincenzo is here and I talked to him about Felix the epileptic kitty personally.  I guess Cristiano dramatised the whole thing a bit, he told me since they took Felix to the vet and start his medication his seizures (which used to happen daily) subsided and he is doing well now, he is also by now used to medication and takes it everyday without causing any scene so I guess at least for now he is okay.  The only thing that worried me a bit is that they still let him go outside by himself.  Do you guys think it is adviseable?  I wouldn't if I were them, I would be worried (among many other things) he wouldn't be around when he needs to be medicated! :scared:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 23:14:28 PM »
Thanks CC!!  Will wait for her response!! :hug:

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 22:53:44 PM »
Dawn (DD) has a cat with this she should be able to give some info.  :)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
ISO info & suggestions: a cat with epilepsy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 22:33:22 PM »
A friend of ours got a young cat (I think he is slightly younger than Oliver, about 6-7months) for his two daughters a few months ago, no one knew about it however they found out the cat was epileptic.  Though I have never seen an epileptic cat but I can imagine it can be highly frightening when a seizure attacks, and understandably the whole family is concerned.  This is the first cat for them and they are not sure how to deal with the situation.  At this point I don't know the details yet personally, Cris has talked to him earlier about something else and found this out by chance, and this friend is coming over Saturday, so I will try to find out more, the severity of his condition, if they went to the vet already and if they did what were they told etc.  Does anyone have any experience with cats with epilepsy?  what sort of treatment are there available, and/or their chance of living a happy fullfilling life?  I will repost again with more details after we talk to our friend again, it also must be noted that the younger daughter (6 year old) can be a riot, rather unruly and possibly be a nightmare for the cat.  (Oliver hissed only once since he came to us, and it was at this girl bugging him relentlessly!)  What do you think of the presence of this girl, the stress induced by her might do him unnecessary harm?

Any advice would be appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 22:34:59 PM by dolcetta46 »

Link to CatChat