Author Topic: Using generic drugs on cats  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Using generic drugs on cats
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 20:08:50 PM »
The vet came alone the last time - I suppose you are lumbered with whoever is down for home visits. Hopefully not the same person all the time. I just thought her a bit heavy-handed. The other woman vet is brilliant with the cats and talks gently to them. The other one uses arm-locks and barks at them  :evillaugh:

Was it was just boosters last time? I wouldnt have a heavy handed vet taking blood out of my animals and id tell them why  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 20:05:58 PM »
I think you need a vet who meows not one who barks  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 19:45:24 PM »
It wont hurt to request a certain vet, you may not get the best as they are busy doing important surgery, home visits will get lumbered on the less 'important' vets. Will need to have a vn too to help restrain

The vet came alone the last time - I suppose you are lumbered with whoever is down for home visits. Hopefully not the same person all the time. I just thought her a bit heavy-handed. The other woman vet is brilliant with the cats and talks gently to them. The other one uses arm-locks and barks at them  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 19:43:29 PM »
In theory generic drugs for humans are the same but they dont always work the same. I had a problem with one generic drug which I now have to get a private prescription for as the generic one made me very ill.

The pharmcsist said that he knew a number of people who had bad reactions to generic drugs and his theory was that the binder that they use to make them, caused the active drug not to work in the same timescale as the branded product and therefore caused side-effects. This would be especially noticeable if its something that you took life long or for 20 years or more.

This may be mainly in drugs which are addictive, which mine is but it has caused me to be very wary of generic drugs. The NHS is very short sighted with generic drugs cos the ones I take are so cheap, there is no reason to stop the branded version being supplied on NHS prescription.

I would worry about generic drugs for animals being sourced from abroad unless a vet thought it was OK.

I never though about binders and fillers. Obviously the active ingredient would be the same but the filler could be something bad for cats - ie peppermint oil or something  :scared:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 19:42:55 PM »
It wont hurt to request a certain vet, you may not get the best as they are busy doing important surgery, home visits will get lumbered on the less 'important' vets. Will need to have a vn too to help restrain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 19:38:32 PM »
Valid point but I will have Clapton done in the dining room where he rarely goes. I just think the stress will be too much for him. I will discuss with OH tonight. I think it's well worth the £25 bearing in mind it saves me 10 miles driving for starters. Would it look odd if I ask which vet is coming?. The one that came the last time I didn't think is sensitive enough to deal with cats.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 19:40:06 PM by Mark »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 19:36:52 PM »
In theory generic drugs for humans are the same but they dont always work the same. I had a problem with one generic drug which I now have to get a private prescription for as the generic one made me very ill.

The pharmcsist said that he knew a number of people who had bad reactions to generic drugs and his theory was that the binder that they use to make them, caused the active drug not to work in the same timescale as the branded product and therefore caused side-effects. This would be especially noticeable if its something that you took life long or for 20 years or more.

This may be mainly in drugs which are addictive, which mine is but it has caused me to be very wary of generic drugs. The NHS is very short sighted with generic drugs cos the ones I take are so cheap, there is no reason to stop the branded version being supplied on NHS prescription.

I would worry about generic drugs for animals being sourced from abroad unless a vet thought it was OK.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 19:27:30 PM »
You can have blood taken on a home visit, i thought about having the vet round for my lots boosters but i decided against it as although Taz hates travelling anywhere and will have bloody urine afterwards i decided the trauma of being interfered with in his own home would be as bad if not worse. Where can a nervous cat feel safe if a vet is allowed in his home  :-:
If bad things happen at the vets atleast they leave the place behind, they often behave better being out of their environment which is much better for having blood taken.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »
Thanks Dawn,

I forgot you were "in the trade"  :evillaugh:

I would never take a chance and only use them if I was 100% sure they were genuine. MM made a good point. Off topic but anyone know if vets will do full bloods on a home visit? - Clapton has started over-grooming again and I wasnt the vet to see him. He hides for 24hrs after a vet trip at the best of times but he is more nervous than usual. I would hate to put him though it unless absolutely necessary. I have considered using the vet next door but I know they don't have 24hr cover and so if an overnight was ever needed, he would either be left in the dark alone all nigh or shipped off to VetsNow. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:24:14 AM »
in humans things that affect the central nervous system usually get given branded products rather than generics but other things are usuallly considered ok

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:39:46 AM »
There was a warning about online drug purchasing on one of the early morning tv shows a short while ago.  I would be very cautious Mark.  Have I spelled cautious right cos it looks all wrong!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 18:44:05 PM »
Its not just the source id worry about, having regular checks with the vet is essential for any animal on lifelong drugs.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 13:23:34 PM »
I would, however, be cautious about your source. I was reading an article the other day that highlights the risks of buying on-line medication as some of the most 'professional' sites are actually back-yard chemists and the meds may be adulterated with things that are not good for you ...

I heard about that. If you could check the source is kosher then may be OK - I wouldn't take chances that they could have come from China and be cut with Melamine or worse  :shify:

One of the reasons I am wondering is because the generic Fortekor is sold as a powder in capsules. I know fortekor has things added to make it palatable but it isn't palatable to my cats. There is a possibility that the straight chemical could be mixed into food? - they don't seem to sell 25mg doses so it would have to be halved.

For those of us that have to medicate for life, it is worth looking into.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 13:35:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 13:20:01 PM »
I'd double check with a vet

I don't think many vets would advise you to buy somewhere else economically when you can buy it from them for 4 x the price  :evillaugh:

Maybe a pharmacist may have a less biased opinion  :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:32:09 PM »
I would, however, be cautious about your source. I was reading an article the other day that highlights the risks of buying on-line medication as some of the most 'professional' sites are actually back-yard chemists and the meds may be adulterated with things that are not good for you ...

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »
Well generic drugs are the exact same drug without the branding which is what you're paying for on the expensive products and I can't see it being any different for pet medication. I'd double check with a vet butI can't see there being a problem.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Using generic drugs on cats
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »
I was looking last night. In America, you can buy 90 generic Fortekor for $9.99. I also saw a site that ships all over the world. You would need to buy the equivalent of 240 doses but it workes out around £50 with shipping. We buy generic stuff for ourselves so wonder if it is any different for cats. Any thoughts?

Link to CatChat