Author Topic: Gizmo had to be catheterized  (Read 10996 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Gizmo had to be catheterized
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2007, 11:35:26 AM »
Good work, Gizmo!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2007, 07:34:09 AM »
WExcellent
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2007, 21:10:33 PM »
Great  ;D

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2007, 21:06:05 PM »
Gizmo's progress update.

Giz went back to the vets yesterday. She was delighted with his progress and he doen't need to go back for three months !  ;D

He is currently sat by my PC giving me the "feed me now" glare !  ;D

Gia
x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2007, 16:06:56 PM »
Excellent news about Gizmo - you must be so happy. What a wonderful start to the year   ;D
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
I am so pleased for both of you, this is wonderful news!!
Please spay your cat

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
Re: Gizmo had to be catheterized - update
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2007, 12:49:42 PM »
Gizmo went for his two week check up last night.

The vet was very pleased. Everything has healed beautifully, his bladder is perfectly normal and we can reduce his medication.

He has lost 2lb in weight and only has another pound to go (wish I could say the same  :) )

Since he has lost weight he is much more active and happy.

He goes back for another check up in a month.

What a beautiful little star he is  ;D

Gia
xxx
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:50:12 PM by gia »

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2007, 06:06:06 AM »
I would just give the vet a quick ring Gia (the emergency vet will do) - some tablets do need the coating, some don't.

Yes good thinking Desley.

I will call them today.

Thanks

Gia
xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 19:30:00 PM »
I would just give the vet a quick ring Gia (the emergency vet will do) - some tablets do need the coating, some don't.
Please spay your cat

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2007, 18:52:17 PM »
Hello people and Happy New Year.

Gizmo is still doing fine and goes back for a check up on Friday.

Now my problem at the moment is - he is on three half tablets (Myotonine) a day. He generally is very good at taking tablets. But he is now getting absolutely fed up with it.

Do you think that it will be okay to crush them up in some food ? I know he will definitely eat them then.

Gia
xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2006, 17:56:37 PM »
Thanks Gia - I have started a new thread so as not to ruin yours - you could have been in the same position, but thankfully you aren't. I think we are in need of some new pics!!
Please spay your cat

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2006, 17:49:29 PM »
Don't worry about that.

I could so easily have been in a similar position to you today.

There are very few genuine animal lovers in the world. Having read your threads/ posts for some considerable time now, I can tell you are one of them. So I can imagine how deeply you are feeling your losses.

If you ever need a friend .....

Gia
xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2006, 14:24:06 PM »
Not particularly, but dont want to spoil your thread, I am pleased for you.
Please spay your cat

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2006, 17:10:13 PM »
Excellent news!!

I know.

Have been thinking on and off all day how lucky we are the Giz is still with us and so much better.

Hope you are doing okay today Desley. I know you have been through a very difficult time recently.

Gia
xxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »
Excellent news!!
Please spay your cat

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 19:57:58 PM »
Thanks Roz

Same to you

Gia
xxx

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006, 19:20:56 PM »
Wonderful news Gia.  I'm so pleased for you both.

Well done Giz......

What a lovely Christmas present.

Lots of love to you and some more of these for the beautiful little star :ahh: :ahh:

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2006, 17:43:18 PM »
Yesssssssssssssssssssssss thats great  ;D

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2006, 17:40:26 PM »
Good News  ;D ;D ;D

Gizmo does not have to go back to the vets for two weeks !

Gia
xxx

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 16:20:45 PM »
Off to the vets in twenty mins - bit nervous

Gia
xxx

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 13:03:04 PM »
Hi Gia,

Such good news for this lovely little guy.  Everything crossed for his continual improvement and good luck at the vet's tomorrow morning.    :clap:

A little hug to him from me too. ha ha  :ahh:

Lots of love to you both and to Ftse

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 21:51:34 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thanks  ;D ;D

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2006, 20:54:28 PM »
My goodness that is good news and I hope he keeps on improving..............Have a great Christmas both of you  :wish: :ok: :yayyy: :yayyy: :oolala: :oolala: :oolala:
And finally specially for the top boy  :ahh: :ahh:

Gizmo and I love your post  :thanks:

Giz sends deepest purrs and feline compliments of the season  ;D

Gia
xxx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 22:43:49 PM »
My goodness that is good news and I hope he keeps on improving..............Have a great Christmas both of you  :wish: :ok: :yayyy: :yayyy: :oolala: :oolala: :oolala:
And finally specially for the top boy  :ahh: :ahh:

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 18:09:55 PM »
i have only just found this thread, and am soo glad that things are looking better for him, fingers crossed they continue to improve for both of you.

Thank you so much

Gia
xxx

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2006, 09:14:39 AM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:

Woohay!! ANother excuse to use the dancing banana!! Fantastic news Gia, hope it keeps getting better  ;D
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »
i have only just found this thread, and am soo glad that things are looking better for him, fingers crossed they continue to improve for both of you.
Please spay your cat

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2006, 06:20:48 AM »
Oh, that is such good news Gia.  Well done Giz......you truly are a beautiful little star. ( I wish we had some star emoticons......we've got everything else :)

Will be continuing to keep Giz in my thoughts and look forward to reading more good news.

Lots of love to you both

Roz....and Jet  :Luv:

Morning Roz and everyone.

I wish there was more emoticons to, cos believe me I would be using all the positive ones  ;D

My little star Gizmo is just having his 2nd wee if the morning !

He sends tonnes of purrs to you and Jet  ;D

Gia
xxx

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2006, 00:20:14 AM »
Oh, that is such good news Gia.  Well done Giz......you truly are a beautiful little star. ( I wish we had some star emoticons......we've got everything else :)

Will be continuing to keep Giz in my thoughts and look forward to reading more good news.

Lots of love to you both

Roz....and Jet  :Luv:

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2006, 20:34:35 PM »
Have you got any pictures of the little man in question??!

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006, 20:27:32 PM »
Oh Gia, thats such fantastic news. You must be so pleased!

I can't even hardly put it into words Amanda.

I am so relieved, happy, thrilled and every other positive thing you can imagine.

Gia
xxx

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006, 20:25:55 PM »
Oh Gia, thats such fantastic news. You must be so pleased!

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006, 20:21:51 PM »
How's our little 'star' this morning Gia?

Hello Roz and everyone.

The little furry Gizmo is doing better each day  ;D

Took him back to the vets tonight and she said his bladder is tiny and he is doing extremely well considering how ill he has been  ;D

He has started weeing in a controlled way now. Always in the tray or soil and no incontinence.

I am so proud of him I could burst !!  ;D ;D ;D

Yesterday and today he has been showing all his own demanding, querky little, affectionate traits  ;D

I know he is not totally out of the woods but I am pleased with his progress.

We see the vets next on Friday for a check up. Which is good cos up until Saturday he was going once a day.

You will never know how much I have trully appreciated the support you have offered Roz. A very special thank you to you and Jet.

And thanks also to Amanda, Gill and everyone else who has posted and followed Gizmo's progress

You have been so lovely and kind.

Gia
XXX
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 20:26:15 PM by gia »

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
How's our little 'star' this morning Gia?

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 18:20:40 PM »
Hi Gia,

I`ve only just caught up with Gizmo`s progress but like Roz says, and i know it really is easier said than done, try not to worry too much at this stage. I have seen some cats with similar problems that have made a full recovery but it can take time. I don`t want to bad mouth vets in any way but i have found with some of the ones i have worked for in the past that they don`t give things like this enough time to sort themselves out. I remember one cat in particular that had been hit by a car and was unable to urinate on his own. He was put on myotonine and the vet was expressing his bladder frequently each day. The vet ended up keeping him and she continued to express his bladder. After a few months he began to urinate on his own and is now back to normal. I very much hope that a similar thing happens with Gizmo. I personally have never heard of a cat being catheterised long term but maybe you could learn how to express his bladder for him if it comes to it.

There is another drug called Dibenyline that can sometimes help but you would need to check with your vet to see if this would be suitable for Gizmo.  This usually helps when the bladder goes into spasm but as you`ve said that your vet can express him then this may not be happening.  Did you get results back from the urine that they sent away?

Hi Amamda and everyone

Yes I think vets generally are superb but as you say can sometimes be a bit impatient for results. And sometimes I think some vets may fails to look at the whole holistic picture - ie the cats temperament etc.

Gizmo was seen by two vets initially who said myotonine should work within 24 - 48 hours. In the end it took four days for them to do any good at all.

Also I suggested that Giz should have anti inflammatories cos his penis was so sore and swollen from being catheterized twice and his version of self removal   >:( ! However the vets said no that would not help. Five days later, when they are starting to get desperate, they agree to the anti inflammatories and things start to improve.

Giz is now seeing a lady vet now and she is a bit more - lets take this slow, this is a long road to recovery and every little improvement is excellent. She looks at things a lot more slowly.

I am not slating the other vets tho cos they were great, if a little impatient.

Permanent catheterization was just a last resort thing that I discussed with one of the other vets. For him it was either that or euthanasia ! So black and white.

i would express Gizmo if needs be but the problem was that it was not possible for the vets half the time, let alone me. The reason being, the nerve that controls the open shut value in his bladder was just not working.

However, I am very, very, very pleased and proud to say that Gizmo is producing larger wees today ! So much so I am going to have to change his littler try for the second time today ! My husband and I have been stood over the littler tray proudly admiring his wee ! ;D

My boy is a beautiful star !  :Luv:

Please keep fingers crossed that he keeps improving.

Gia
xxx
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 18:30:52 PM by gia »

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2006, 13:54:35 PM »
Hi Gia,

I`ve only just caught up with Gizmo`s progress but like Roz says, and i know it really is easier said than done, try not to worry too much at this stage. I have seen some cats with similar problems that have made a full recovery but it can take time. I don`t want to bad mouth vets in any way but i have found with some of the ones i have worked for in the past that they don`t give things like this enough time to sort themselves out. I remember one cat in particular that had been hit by a car and was unable to urinate on his own. He was put on myotonine and the vet was expressing his bladder frequently each day. The vet ended up keeping him and she continued to express his bladder. After a few months he began to urinate on his own and is now back to normal. I very much hope that a similar thing happens with Gizmo. I personally have never heard of a cat being catheterised long term but maybe you could learn how to express his bladder for him if it comes to it.

There is another drug called Dibenyline that can sometimes help but you would need to check with your vet to see if this would be suitable for Gizmo.  This usually helps when the bladder goes into spasm but as you`ve said that your vet can express him then this may not be happening.  Did you get results back from the urine that they sent away?

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 12:17:20 PM »
Hi again Gia,

So when your vet refers to the 'neck' of the bladder does she mean the beginning or the end....from what you just said it would appear to be the end which is normal in this condition.  I was, perhaps erroneously, assuming that the neck in Gizmo's case was at the beginning.

I cannot therefore see why an op such as Jet had would not be helpful...as a last resort.  Nigel (not Whitegates...which would have been great if it was 'cos he was brilliant with my little guy.... but Cromwell's in Huntingdon) told me that although the surgery was very drastic and invasive, in cases like Jet's, it was the only real option because although he may still suffer from FLUTD from time to time, the operation would ensure that he would never again be at risk from dying from a blocked bladder.  It effectively shortens the urethra to resemble a queen's (hence why it is often referred to as the sex change op) thus facilitating an easier flow of urine through the bladder.  The male urethra is long and narrow and once a cat has suffered with crystals, the wall of the bladder becomes inflamed and leads to symptoms such as cystitis which results in a thickening of the bladder wall over time.  All the gunge etc that then collects in the bladder together with any crystals that may be present, eventually form a plug that prevents any urine from being eliminated via the penis.   Jet has never even suffered a bout of cystitis since having the op.....and does lovely wees now (still manages to overturn the litter tray most times though cos he stands on the edge :innocent:).

I hope that helps you Gia.

Fingers crossed for your little guy.

Lots of love

Roz

P.S.  For anyone who has read about Jet a thousand times already, my apologies. :tired:

Hi Roz, Jet, Gill, Amanda and everyone.

Thanks so much for all your kind thoughts and concern.

Here's the latest on my furry friend -

Giz went back to the vets today and she was really quite pleased with him. So much so that he doesn't need to go back til Monday night, Which I know is soon but it's still a whole lot better than every 24 hours !

She said his bladder was tiny(much smaller than yesterday even) so she didn't need to "express" him. He hasn't had to have his bladder forcibly emptied since Wednesday. Which again is an improvement cos it was once a day.

Each time he has had his myotonine he pees little and oftern for a while. The vet said that is plenty good enough for now.

He will almost certainly be on myotonine for life but that's not so bad.

She said it is a long road to recovery so not to expect too much too soon.

I am still very worried and it is early days but I can't ask for anymore at the moment.

I love my little Giz so much.

Roz - I asked her about the neck thing and ashe said yes she did mean the exit part of the bladder, but they call it the neck for some reason. Gizmo's problem is the nerve at the neck is not receiving the correct message to the release muscle. That's where mytonine come in. I didn't pursue the penilectomy idea for now as I just want to see how/if he progresses on the medication.

Gia
xxx
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:20:53 PM by gia »

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 16:54:22 PM »
Hi again Gia,

So when your vet refers to the 'neck' of the bladder does she mean the beginning or the end....from what you just said it would appear to be the end which is normal in this condition.  I was, perhaps erroneously, assuming that the neck in Gizmo's case was at the beginning.

I cannot therefore see why an op such as Jet had would not be helpful...as a last resort.  Nigel (not Whitegates...which would have been great if it was 'cos he was brilliant with my little guy.... but Cromwell's in Huntingdon) told me that although the surgery was very drastic and invasive, in cases like Jet's, it was the only real option because although he may still suffer from FLUTD from time to time, the operation would ensure that he would never again be at risk from dying from a blocked bladder.  It effectively shortens the urethra to resemble a queen's (hence why it is often referred to as the sex change op) thus facilitating an easier flow of urine through the bladder.  The male urethra is long and narrow and once a cat has suffered with crystals, the wall of the bladder becomes inflamed and leads to symptoms such as cystitis which results in a thickening of the bladder wall over time.  All the gunge etc that then collects in the bladder together with any crystals that may be present, eventually form a plug that prevents any urine from being eliminated via the penis.   Jet has never even suffered a bout of cystitis since having the op.....and does lovely wees now (still manages to overturn the litter tray most times though cos he stands on the edge :innocent:).

I hope that helps you Gia.

Fingers crossed for your little guy.

Lots of love

Roz

P.S.  For anyone who has read about Jet a thousand times already, my apologies. :tired:

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 14:00:30 PM »
Hi Roz

I am not actually sure why she thinks it is the neck of the bladder. I go in there asking lots of questions, gets lots of answers and then have to calm down and assimulate it. The pee can get in the bladder, it's the coming out that is the problem.

Permanently catheterization is rare but it may be possible. But we will explore other avenues first.

I will mention Dick White, if it becomes necessary.

No Giz is not insured but we have put money aside for some time to cover such an eventuality.

Yes Giz is a happy but highly strung little fella. He gets on pretty well with his brothers tho. The vets said just to let him completely chill, come and go as he pleases etc. Make his life as normal as possible. So not sure isolating him would be right at the mo. But will think some more about it.

You mentioned you local vet was called Nigel. We have a vet called Nigel at Whitegates surgery, Washingborough, Lincoln, Lincolnshire. Don't suppose it's the same guy ?

Will make that cup of tea. This is all doing my weight loss tonnes of good cos I have no appettie and yesterday only had one cup of tea all day ! Not good I know. I seem to live, breath and sleep Gizmo at the mo.

Gia
xxx
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 14:04:09 PM by gia »

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 13:32:31 PM »
Hi Gia,

Only just logged on today but to hear that Gizmo had a wee, even if uncontrolled, does sound hopeful.....bless that little guy.  I've never heard of the problem being associated with the neck of the bladder before, but yes, I can imagine that if the urine cannot even pass through to the bladder itself, there wouldn't be any advantage in merely shortening it.

How does the vet know that the problem is with the neck of the bladder...if that isn't a silly question? Does she think that the nerve endings have been damaged locally?  They often repair themselves should that be the case.

Is Gizmo insured....Jet wasn't.....but insurance would certainly be helpful in cases of FLUTD?  If he is, perhaps the vet would refer him to a specialist if he does not respond to any of the treatment she has tried.  Jet was taken to see Dr Dick White,  a top veterinary urologist, five days after his operation.....just to have his condition evaluated and for a post operative examination.  Dr White has a surgery near Newmarket... Suffolk/Cambs border.  I was very lucky because Nigel, Jet's vet took him along to see Dr White at no cost to myself.  The wonderful doctor examined Jet as a favour to Nigel because he had taught him at Cambridge University Veterinary School.  Jet was leaking a little initially...and Nigel was afraid that some of the urine might be penetrating the underlying skin tissue around the site of the wound...which would inevitably have been fatal unless arrested) but no, it was only superficial and soon stopped as he started to gain more control of his muscles. I know during Jet's first hospitalisation (in April) that the vets called Dr White's clinic many times to ask for advice on how to treat him....so let's hope that one of the specialists can come up with something.   

Gia, I can't comment on permanently catheterizing a cat, but would have thought it impossible, painful and very, very expensive.  Jet had so many catheters inserted during the last few months of his illness, which is why the vets suggested the operation...as a last resort.  His long term prognosis was so poor and, bless him, he had had enough.

Poor Gizmo sounds like his problem might be as difficult to treat, although in a different area.  Has the vet given you any indication of what might have caused the neck of his bladder to stretch?

One last thing Gia.  Is Gizmo a stessed cat at all?  If he is and doesn't get on well with Ftse, try to keep him in a room on his own for the time being..... somewhere that is quiet and peaceful and where he can relax and rehabilitate.  Urinary probs are often stress related.   

I can't think of anything else to add at this juncture except to wish that poor little baby well.

Try not to worry too much (I know that's easier said than done). Take five and make yourself a nice cuppa and relax for a few minutes.  Put something in it if you're not driving or working  ;)

We're all sending mega positive thoughts to Giz for a very speedy recovery.

Lots of love to you both  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Roz
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 13:38:20 PM by Roz »

Link to CatChat