Author Topic: Manx female - Milly (Now Missing)  (Read 16442 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Manx female - Milly (Now Missing)
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 18:49:01 PM »
Come on Milly where are you ... sending lots of positive vibes that she will be back home soon.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 15:35:06 PM »
Hi Helen,

No news yet - still looking.  Hoping she comes home.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 14:17:56 PM »
Any news Yvonne?  I have sent you a PM...  I'm working this afternoon, can't always get on Purrs (if it's busy it's too obvious that I'm skiving!) but will check my emails regularly.  Please could you email me with any news.  Keeping absolutely everything crossed that she comes home soon.

Helen

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 11:49:13 AM »
Thanks for that Sam,

Just come back from posting flyers through letterboxes - most people are at work at the moment.  Weather is getting quite bad, very windy.
Thank you for the other tips as well.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 10:59:21 AM »
Oh no sorry to hear Milly has escaped;

Here are a few things to try:

1. Posters, Posters, Posters  with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way). Also put one in your and friends cars – it’s amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area.   Remember you can never have too many posters out there!   It is also a good idea to offer a Reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money, a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.
2. Knock on  doors and ask neighbours to check their sheds and garages WHILE YOU WAIT … it's surprising how many people say they will check but as soon as the door is closed they forget. It is recommended to knock on 10 doors either side of your house on both sides of the street.

3. Register him lost at all vets/catteries/rescue homes within a 20mile radius (remember to keep a record of everyone you contact) follow the link and clink on the map to find local rescues in your area:  http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

4. Leave food out and a toy of his

5. Leave out an unwashed item of your clothing

6. Put the contents of your hoover bag on your garden - it’s full of smells that they will recognise and if it doesn’t bring him directly to your door will at least hopefully keep him in the area.  Alternatively if you have a litter tray that has used put some of the used litter on the garden as this will have familiar smells in it.

7. Contact the local fire brigade and see if they have had to rescue any stuck cats

8. Ask the local children to look - they are great for knowing all the local hidey-holes and love helping. Also have a word with your local post-person and milk man if there is one that delivers in your area.

9. Ask the local radio station to announce he’s missing and give out a contact number

10. Put an advert in the local paper

11. Contact your local environmental services dept (bin men) they keep a log of all animals picked on the roadside ... I know this is not a pleasant call to make and hopefully it will come back as negative.

12. Go out after dark when it is quieter with a friend / partner and walk round the local area gently calling every so often (give him a chance to answer you). Keep talking as you walk round that way if he is in the area he will hear you.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »
 :hug: :hug: Hope you find her Yvonne - good job she didn't manage to escape until she'd been chipped!! Will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:54 AM »
Fingers crossed Yvonne, I really do hope you find her.

:hug:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
Re: Manx female - Milly
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 07:14:48 AM »
Ellie good morning and thank you for your positive thoughts.

I am waiting for it to get light and I will start searching properly, I have already been out with the torch.  It is not like I have not been here before previously, I think if a cat wants to come home it will and if it does not then it wont.

I really feel sick to the stomach at the moment, really feel like I have failed.

Fortunately she was chipped on Monday, but I am really worried that she will be lost,
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »
Hi Yvonne just caught up with this thread and sorry to hear that Milly has escaped  :(

I am sure she will come back and just wanted a wee bit of freedom for a while.

I have everything crossed that Milly comes home soon xxxx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 06:11:49 AM »
Thanks Gill,

However, it is all a bit academic now as Milly has escaped.  My hubby told me at 5am this morning that Milly escaped at about midnight, she had pushed the baricades to one side and managed to get out of the cat flap, somehow.  I am hoping that she will come back.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 22:59:08 PM »
My experiences are a bit strange as Kocka was very old and sick when I moved hear and she started going out almost immediately but wasnt able to go very far.

Misa and Sasa arrived from CP but they were both terrified cats and although they used to sit on the kitchen window sill like they wanted to go out, I opened the door after about 6weeks and both of them ran back into the house. They were aged 7yrs and 4 yrs old. It took them about 3 months before they went out and now Sasa hates to be shut inside at all. I think these two were quite unusual due to their back ground.

The birmans were kept in for about 4  weeks and then hopped out the catflap and I think 4-6 weeks is a good length. Howeverr some cats go out much quicker, its all to do with how much they like their new home andknow where it is......they do learn quickly but the key I think is that they identfy their new home as somewhere they like , get fed and are warm and comfortable.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 22:46:14 PM »
Hi, as you will see post has moved from the rescue area.

Thank you to Milly and Gill for responding I really appreciate it.
As I think I mentioned previously it is a bit different bringing a full grown cat into a home from another home than it would be with say a kitten or a stray or even a cat from a rescue centre because they appear to settle down quite quickly in a new home.  Milly is still a little unhappy although she is eating and sleeping quite happily in my utility room which is situated next to the kitchen.

Milly likes to be up high on the ledge and does not stay on the floor once she has finished eating.  She will let me stroke her and pick her up but is very nervous if I take her into the lounge.  Milly came to us on 23.12.06, three weeks this Saturday.  I thought she would have been a bit more settled by now.

When I went to the Vet I ordered a harness which should be here tomorrow, does anybody know how long the prison term should be, I realise that this is the piece of string syndrome but if anybody has experience of settling an older cat in a new home I would love to hear your experience.  I have just realised that Gill mentioned six weeks, is this based on your own experience Gill? 
My existing two boys are not a problem, they have not bothered, it is just Milly that is a bit upset.

Any ideas?    :thanks:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Manx female - wanted
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 21:27:15 PM »
Sorry dont agree with your homimg officer cos if a cat is crazy to go out its best they are allowed to if possible and this is a safe way of doing it. They also get to know that this is their new home and that inside its nice and warm and has food. All part of the bonding process but of course everyone has differing ideas and this is mine.

Forgot to say Yvonne , dont feed before going out with her, so she knows when she gets back in there is nice food to come back too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 17:37:46 PM »
Do you have any type of recall with her, mine all respond to the shake of the biscuit tub  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 14:50:21 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 15:04:39 PM »
Hi Gill,

Thanks for that - Millys old home is about five miles away, so she would probably get lost.
I will get a harness from the Vet on Monday if they sell them, thanks for the idea.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 13:18:09 PM »
I think you may need to keep her in for about 6weeks but you could try getting a harness and a lead for her if she is really desperate to go out.

Some cats have always gone out and hate the idea of being locked in so it may not just be the thought of her old home. Is her old home close and did she use to go outside there?

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »
Good morning folks,

Gosh, did not realise that anybody would be that interested.

I put an advert on the local website asking for a Manx female any age and any condition considered, price negotiable but depending on age and pedigree etc.  It is, as you probably know the wrong time of year for kittens I would not expect any Manx babes until about June which is the month that I acquired Cleo back in 1991.  Within thirty minutes of placing the advert I had a phone call from a local lady wanting to rehome her cat due to the fact that she was expecting a baby.  Now, now take it easy - I do not think that she found the decision easy, Milly's owner was concerned as Milly had started to sleep in the new baby's Moses basket and so she had reluctantly decided to find a new home for Milly and then saw my advert and so decided to ring me.  She did not want any money for Milly only a good home.

Milly has only ever had the one home since being a kitten, the lady that had Milly also owned Milly's mother Molly and so Milly was born into that home.  When I brought Milly home she shot under a chair where she stayed for two days and then she came out and made her home in the utility room next to our kitchen.  Although Milly is a lot more relaxed now than she was, given the opportunity Milly would escape at her earliest opportunity and so consequently my house is now like Fort Knox, all windows and doors secured, catflap locked etc. this is a little awkward when my other cats have been used to coming and going as they please.

Milly has an appointment at the Vet on Monday to be chipped, she is already spayed.

Does anybody know how long the process of rehoming will take when she will forget about her previous home?  Bearing in mind that she has already been in a caring home, I have taken strays in but they are different they choose you rather than the other way round.

Thank you to everybody for their interest.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:38:30 AM »
She's beautiful Yvonne, what a cheeky little face she has!  How has she been getting on lately?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 20:58:40 PM »
Ahhhh isn't she lovely  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 20:47:08 PM »
Hurrah! Where's she from then? How old is she? Details, please!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 19:39:54 PM »
Success - meet Milly

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 12:33:46 PM »
Hi Yvonne I've just loooked at the link again and it semms it's a form to put an anmila up for rehoming rather than offer a home .... however it might be worth just emailing them and letting them know you have a home just waiting for a Manx should one need it.

Good luck

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 09:30:06 AM »
Good morning Ela,

Yes I do vaguely remember the Manx cattery, it is very unfortunate that it was closed down.  I have a fear that during our lifetime the Manx cat will be extinct in the Isle of Man and possibly the Uk.  As far as I am aware very little is being done to preserve the breed. 

Good morning Sam,

Thank you for your info, I will certainly look into that link but I have already been trawling the internet for the past two weeks and found very little, most searches have been taking me to California.  I think in generations to come there will be a belief that the "Manx" is born, bred and originated in the United States.

I will keep looking, I have been assured that there should be more luck in the spring although I do not necessarily want a kitten an older cat would be fine for me.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 08:29:56 AM »
You would think living in the Isle of Man there would be no shortage, not so, they are very rare.  Even in the UK there are
very few.

Are you old enough to remember the Manx Cattery in Nobles Park?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 20:50:42 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble finding a manx .... maybe if you fill in the form on the attached link they may be able to assist.  I think Manx's fall under the british shorthair category so it might be worht seeing if there are any 2british shorthair rescues" which might have a Manx girl in need of a home.

Good luck and if I see any whilst I'm trawling round the internet I will let you know.

http://www.teknocat.co.uk/zzsbshccrehomelistreg.htm

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
Manx female - Milly (Now Missing)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 18:28:28 PM »
I appreciate that this is a long shot but I am looking for a Manx female. 

You would think living in the Isle of Man there would be no shortage, not so, they are very rare.  Even in the UK there are
very few.

If you hear of any entering rescue shelters, blease bear me in mind.
As I say I appreciate that this is a long shot but there is no harm in asking.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:16:30 AM by Yvonne »
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Link to CatChat