Author Topic: sun protection for cats  (Read 4542 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: sun protection for cats
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 22:27:44 PM »
there may be something that can be done with the nose but obviously theres not alot you can cut out there so as everyone said..sunblock/shade the way to go..

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 21:36:42 PM »
I had a similar case to Milly's mum, Pebbles saw a vet who worked in Australia, so had no probs with having to do something with Pebbles nose if it ever did get worse than pre-cancerous scabs, but it wasn't something I could have personally gone through with - odd, as the leg amputation didn't bother me, and I wanted it before the vet was willing to do it, but i couldnt have gone through with having part of her nose removed - there are a lot of risks to it, and nasal SCC doesn't have the same odds of survival as in the ears sadly, so it is better to prevent it. If anyone is struggling to get hold of a pet suncream, Smylees sell it at the RRP and do free p & P on it. Very quick delivery too. It can be tricky getting them used to having it applied - I am fortunate that the two cats I have this year dont have white on their faces, but will keep the suncream just in case.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 20:46:37 PM »
Thanks MM, I was just repeating what I was told by my vet.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 20:25:24 PM »
noses can't be removed

A friend had a cat who had a "nose-ectomy" (cant remember the real term)

He had SCC on his nose and had it removed, a lovely old ginger & white. Aussie vets (nasal SCC is quite common there) know how to operate.
Obviously this isnt the best method, wear sunscreen  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 15:56:51 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 19:23:43 PM »
 :welcome: Whackycat.
Please check the gallery tab at the top or bottom of the page and go to the cat's pictures. You'll see Polly and Samantha there. Take a look at Polly, the half black half white cat in the pic. One of her ear tips is missing. She had this removed due to ear cancer. The vet told me to keep her out of the sun in case her nose became affected - noses can't be removed.
I keep her in during the day and let her out at night, though this isn't to be recommended. Before summer sets in, I'm popping to the vet to get some non-washoffable sun cream.
Please keep your cat out of the sun or use a sunblock if your cat doesn't immediately wash it off.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 16:46:05 PM »
I tried to buy some yesterday for Star's nose!  PAH say they don't stock it till the end of March

Well that's nonsense as I saw some in my local branch (Stockport) about 2 weeks ago!  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 15:56:37 PM »
I tried to buy some yesterday for Star's nose!  PAH say they don't stock it till the end of March

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 15:44:57 PM »
Hee hee  :-:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 15:37:22 PM »
Beat me to it, I was just going to post that.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 15:34:25 PM »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 15:33:22 PM »
yes its very true and when it occurs its normally always extremely bad news for puss.  white cats are the worst affected or those cats with alot of white/pink on their faces/ears mainly.  the ears and nose seem to be the commonly affected areas but im sure other places can be aswell.

im sure you do get pet sun cream but you'll have to do a google search altho possibley there was a thread about it on here so do a search up top aswell.
i know some have safetly used baby suncream..you need a very high factor !! as it has to be safe for babies to ingest aswell so should be ok for cats.  sorry i cant remember what the animal type is called.  

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 15:31:27 PM »
Yes cats can get skin cancer! If yours has pale ears then applying sunblock would be a very good idea. Many white cats end up needing their ear tips removed  :(

You can get pet screen or you can use a high factor childrens type

Offline whackycat

• Adult Cat
sun protection for cats
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 15:17:16 PM »
somebody mentioned to me that cats need sun protection as they can get skin cancer?   is this true? and is there a special cat formula i hope i not sounding silly but lucky is always sunbathing on the terrace and it is beginning to get quite hot so any advice on this would be fab thanks

Link to CatChat