Author Topic: Trapped at Home - Day 1  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Trapped at Home - Day 1
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 21:16:20 PM »
I do hope it all works out for you both, and I am so glad that he is done and not able to get any more cats pregnant, or have his health risked - good on you, wish there were more people willing to do it for strays that turn up.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 20:45:33 PM »
Sounds like Preet is going to be a very happy cat.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 20:42:01 PM »
awwww everything u have done so far is fab

yeah id say a month was a gr8 idea
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 20:24:32 PM »
You know I have to agree with what is being said.  I think my problem was that I have always been someone to let people do as they please but, on this occasion, I am stopping Preet living a life of Vermin where he wanders with no home, inpregnates every girl he sees and gains and spreads disease.  I have realised, through talking with all of you and my friends, that I am doing a service to him.  I guess I am now just echoing the words you have said to me but take that as I sign that I am listening.

I agree with keeping him in Longer.  He did spend 8 months coming to our home regularly and spending hours a day there so I think he is used to us already used to us and loves us but yes, I need to cement his life with us.

Actually, we might go with a month.  I'll do whatever it takes to give him a safe home and it is clear that we are only ones locally who'll do that.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »
A month might not be a bad idea, some sources say males can produce sperm for up to 6 weeks after a neuter, but the smell tends to go after a fortnight, so I suppose it depends on the cat. You might just have to see how he is in a fortnight though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 00:56:56 AM »
He sounds like he is doing really well.

Personally I would keep him in longer than 2 weeks. 2 weeks is the amount of time I keep in a cat when I move when puss is already bonded to me.

But for a cat like Preet, who has been a wanderer and you're trying to tell him that your home is his, I would suggest keeping him in for longer, a month at least. This is the minimum length of time I keep in a new cat. He needs to learn alll the smells of your home and that food is given to him regularly by you or your wife and understand that you are his family. Then, when he goes out, all the other houses he visits will just be extras to his real home - yours. He'll pop in to them, say hello, then come home to his family.

Because cats aren't pack animals like dogs, they think of us as their mothers. During the time he is not let out he will learn to think of you this way.

It's natural that he feels miserable at the moment. He may be in a little pain from the op. And everything is strange to him. He's learning a new lifestyle which will help him to live a longer more contented life. So ignore his little grumbles and his current sadness. You are doing the best for him in the long run. You aren't depriving him, you are giving to him.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 17:55:00 PM »
Thanks... everyone seems agreed the best thing is to keep him in and, though I get paranoid, neighbours have come around and said he is fine  and a little house bound but coping...

I think I am going to give it a full two weeks to make sure he is fully recovered and that the cannot impregnate other girls and then all the testosterone will be out of him, god I hope, and I can start to let him out for short bits just before his feeding times so he comes back...

Sounds good?  Hope so...

he is avoiding me at the mo but he lies around with his belly exposed so at least he does not fear me...

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 16:56:38 PM »
awwwww im so pleased his has been neutered and chipped n that now
id keep him in for 2weeks let him rest n recovery

some cats thats use to going out do get very depressed staying indoors
none of mine have known any different (apart from max)  but he must of only been going out about 4/5weeks b4 i found him and it doesnt bother him too much about staying in

i hope ur gorgoeus boy feels better soon and it wont b too long b4 he can go outide and enjoy the sun and fresh air again .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 16:24:00 PM »
I personally would keep him in for 10 days, until he is fully recovered from the neuter, and then take it from there. I know loads of people on here who have converted cats to indoor only, but Ginger, the cat I mentioned earlier, would have died if I had tried that, 10 days due to an op was hard enough on him, he barely ate, and pined, so I think it depends entirely on the cat. Good luck though.
Please spay your cat

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 15:40:11 PM »
thank you both... now I feel re-assured I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for the advice to not take his 'unhappiness' as a failure on my part.  Yes, he is warm, fed and safe.  I think I'll just let myself relax as I am sure he can pick that up too...

thanks...

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 15:29:39 PM »
I'd keep him in for a few days, it won't hurt him in the long term and both of my male cats came down with flu after being neutered because of the stress.  It would be shame if he wandered off and then got sick

Offline fleur

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 15:23:32 PM »
How long are you going to keep him in for? I think the regimented food idea is a good one, letting him out just before feeding time is exactly what I did when I started letting my cats outside after keeping them indoors for a year (of course they hadn't been out before, but still a good idea).

Look at it like this, if you can get him to be less of a wanderer he will have a happier and healthier life with less risk. He may be "unhappy" at being kept in, but you're hardly being cruel, he's safe, warm and well-fed. Don't feel mean, look at the long term benefits.

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 15:15:41 PM »
you raise an interesting point, you imply that I need not keep him in unless he needs to be. 

There is a part of me thinks I should only let him leave when he has grown easy with our home again as letting him go now when he hates being here will mean he'll just not come back...

am I being selfish?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »
i have had a similar prob, Ginger had to have an op once that required 10 days in due to stitches, and despite having owned him for about 2 years at that point, he had to have his outdoor access every day, or he hated it. To get through the hardest part with him, I left background music on all day, and just spent as much time as I could with im, fussing and loving him, it is for such a short period, and then once he has recovered, see what teh score is with him. Ginger stayed close for the first couple of days after being allowed out, and then went back into his old ways of going into my neighbours every day.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 12:04:04 PM »
has he got a climbing frame/ toys etc
have you tried lacing everything with cat nip

just becasue he's been castrated doesnt mean he'll stop wanting to go out..perhaps you could errect an outdoor cat run (i had to do this) or if your garden is enclosed get the securacat fencing.

and also meantime id get some feliway diffusers .

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
Trapped at Home - Day 1
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
Hi...

My cat, Preet, has just been Neutered and Chipped and Vaccinated so is now sore and convalescing

I have had some great advice from several of you that has really helped me and my wife teach him to use the litter tray etc

Thing is, and perhaps this is not something anyone can help me with, is that he is so not happy.  He loved being an outdoors cat, going and coming as he pleases and now he is trapped in doors, is sore and still has testosterone in his body, so the call of the wild is still in his head.

He is not angry or hissing (never has) or nasty in any way.  He's just sad, and resigned.  Looking forlornly at the door.

I need to stop being a kid about it, I know and just trust that he'll be good in time but I just cannot see this free spirit wanting to be a house cat and I do not want to force him to be one.

I think my plan is, to regiment his meal times and then, when he is eating at set times and knows them, start to let him out like half an hour before he eats so he comes back.  Maybe an hour...

Thoughts and comments please?

Link to CatChat