Author Topic: Cat weeing on carpet  (Read 3387 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Cat weeing on carpet
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 15:34:42 PM »
cant add much more advice than whats been given.  I'd definately be seeing a vet and providing them with a fresh urine sample as she very likely has some level of kidney dysfunction and often their urine can smell worse than normal.  At 17 though she's probably needing a good mot and blood tests etc unless they've been done recently.

I'd probably think 2 year old twins would stress her out to some extent..i have 1 x 2 year old and she stresses me out LOL, so i'd recommend the feliway ela suggested aswell..probably both the spray and plug ins.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »

Hi Debs  :welcome: to Purrs

Theres also some great info on Wizz's site here http://wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html. She is a cat behaviourist.

But def get her checked at the vets.

Got any pics of Mischief/ we love pics  ;D ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:19:51 AM »
Advice taken  from my Cats Protection site:-
Almost  daily we  are  asked to bring in  cats just  because they have  a wee problem or spray.  Very often this can be resolved with a little time and patience. I am amazed when I ask have you a litter tray and am told no,  often a litter tray provided - problem solved.   If you know which cat  is weeing or spraying it is wise to have the cat checked out by   a vet in the  first  instance  to  ensure there are no underlying medical problems. CP  advise  always  provide  a  litter  tray  irrespective  of your  cats age  even if they are allowed out,   if  you  keep  an eye on what your  cat is  passing, you can spot many problems, e.g. cystitis is very common in cats and needs urgent Veterinary treatment.  It is shown up if the cat uses the  tray  frequently and/or passes blood,  something you would never know if you didn’t have a tray.   We  think the covered litter trays are best  and you can  even get them  in most colours to match your  decor. We find that the wood pellets are excellent there is no smell of urine whatsoever and if there was then the cat could need to see the vet as it may have a problem.  Another problem seems to be when folks have only one litter and a number of cats. Some cats do not like to wee and poo in the same tray so sometimes it is necessary to provide 2 trays to alleviate any problems, ideally one litter tray per cat is the best option in multi cat households.   To remove the smell of the urine and hopefully stop a recurrence  we suggest you clean the area thoroughly with a solution of hot water and a enzymatic soap powder, allow to dry then  wipe everywhere down with a spirit brandy,  gin,  whisky,  rum (I did purchase some rum in France once and it was so horrid I used that on the carpet and it worked very well)  and if that is  too painful  surgical spirit.   Once all traces of urine are removed  you could put a little dried cat food down or try Feliway spray from the vets, used daily for a time can be a benefit,  there is a Feliway  ‘plug in’  however I have found it as much use as a chocolate teapot. No doubt some people must have had some success as been on the market for a while now. My own cat Jeannie used to spray everywhere, up wall, on the curtains, this behaviour stopped within in a very short time after I started to spray with Feliway, only very occasionally now does she have a relapse, it is quickly solved with spirit and a few sprays of the Feliway.

Also see www.ssscat.com. However as advised a vet check is a necessary essential initially.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 15:32:07 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 07:19:40 AM »
Deb, you need to get this cat for a check up, cats dont normally wee in odd places unless there is something bothering them, and it is better to rule out any medical problems before looking at it being behavioural. And the fact that her wee smells a lot could be an indicator of a health problem. The best thing to do would be to try and take a sample with you when you have your app
Please spay your cat

Offline deb960

• Kitten
Cat weeing on carpet
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Hi
Please could you help - a few months ago my cat Mischief, started weeing behind the tv and it took months to get rid of the smell using all sorts of things,  Eventually the smell went.

She again did a wee yesterday and we are back to square one.  The problem is I have 2 year old twins and really do not want her weeing and pooing as dont want them putting their hands in it - and also the smell is horrendous - is there any 'magic' potion that will get rid of the smell?
Mischief is 17 by the way, poor old girl :tired:

Many thanks

Link to CatChat