Author Topic: Billy had a worming pill today  (Read 4146 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Billy had a worming pill today
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 19:53:13 PM »
cannot be sure as can't get that close to the little devil unless he's in the mood

Were you still speaking about the cat there Rosella ????  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It sounded like an earth worm to me aswell, but as for baby slugs sticking to hair  :sick:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 19:20:33 PM »
i have found that Sherleys hairball paste is the best stuff for tablets ... my lot all LOVE it and Zephyr even chewed throught the last tube cuz it's so nice!  I got it from PAH.  I squirt a blob onto my finger ... hide the pil inside and they just lick it off.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 18:39:19 PM »
The drontal tab we've got does both tapeworm and roundworm so next time I'll try hiding 1/2  a tablet in something tasty but Billy is a very wary and bright little boy so can't say I hold out much hope and think it very likely we will go the Profender route.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 18:28:56 PM »
I got a slug on my bedroom rug the other day, thanks Taz  :)
I also had 6 twigs, thanks Tabitha  :)

Rosella if you get spot on keep in mind that:
Droncit does tapeworm only
Stronghold does fleas & roundworm
and Profender does both (its expensive mind!)
Have you tried slotting the tablets into chicken? I use raw steak as they never chew it! Milbemax are nice & small, half the size of a Drontal ( and a 4kg cat only uses 1/2) so you could try them before splashing out on Profender.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 18:20:43 PM »
Oh we are sooooo going the spot on route for Billy in future but I bought a packet of drontal tabs over t'internet and didn't want to waste them.  Having probs viewing worm piccies Millysmum but will keep trying tho I'm pretty sure that Gill is right and Freddie's worm was just a baby earthworm.  This is all pretty disgusting!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 18:05:57 PM »
Sounds like an ordinary garden worm, mine come in with baby slugs stuck in their undercarriage fur grrrrrrrrr.

You can get a spot on wormer from vets, Ducha could not be wormed by the vet, he spat em out. She got assistance and he spat em out. She thought she had won and after a min or two , he spat it out and all of us  were  :rofl:. So she decided that spot on was thie only option  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 17:06:49 PM »
I think thats the convenia jab, we have had quite a few cats have it for flu, which is lovely, i hate tableting with Ronaxan!

Rosella: Theres pics of worms here for ID purposes: http://www.mcneilhealth.co.uk/familyhealth/Family-health-information-on-different-worms_459_459_.html

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 09:15:17 AM »
At least this vet I saw yesterday said there is now a long lasting antibiotic injection available that lasts 2 weeks which sounds good

Yes, I understand that has come out very recently and will I am sure be a godsend, especially for ferals and the cats who are the 'they who must be obeyed' type.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 09:07:11 AM »
Aye - one of the things with living on your own, you have to be able to figure out how to do things like that by yourself, I do resent paying £8 for a couple minutes job!! I actually wouldn't worry too much about his arthritis, it shouldnt be affected by you clipping his claws - and it is important in oldies, I found out the hard way when two of Snowy's claws grew into her pad, this was pre-internet days when I didn't know about claw clipping - I am over keen on it now!!

Fingers crossed for getting it down FReddie!!

I have the same issues with my two girls, neither are good at being touched if they are not in the mood, never mind anything else!! Took me nearly an hour to get Molly to come close enough to be de-flead last night, she obv knew something was up!! The rescue's vets uses the long lasting antibiotic jab a lot for us, it seems to work quite well - dont know how pricey though, as it is the rescue's account.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:07:55 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 08:28:11 AM »
I agree Desley. I would have felt differently if only Tom's claws had been clipped but my current vets rarely seem to charge for all they do, not like my last vets.  I have 2 pairs of claw clippers but OH can't seem to hold Tom still and he won't do the clipping bit. I'm also mindful of Tom's arthritis probs so like it to be done quickly. I think I will give it another whirl when needed next and perhaps just do a couple of claws at a time and maybe link it in with say 6 hours after Tom's had his Metacam drop which appears to be how long it takes to kick in properly.

I think I've decided Freddie's worm was a baby earthworm after all but I will try and give him a tablet in a couple of days (he's been sick this morning - chewing grass - so am putting it off). He isn't ill as such as him and Billy are chasing each other around the house at the mo. At least Freddie only has 2 teeth so it's only the claws I need to be careful of.  I will try the defurrem treats and or waltham pocket tabs if we encounter probs. Thanks Helen and Mark

Poor Jessica for having to have so many tabs and poor you Ela for having to give them. I really don't know what we will do if/when Billy is ill and needs medication. When he had his abscess last year, I had to keep bringing him to vet for follow up antibiotic jabs.  At least this vet I saw yesterday said there is now a long lasting antibiotic injection available that lasts 2 weeks which sounds good

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:24:19 AM »
None of mine will eat the defurrum treats although Kylie will eat it straight from the tube. When I had to give her tablets, I used waltham pocket tabs. They have a little groove in them. you place the pill in the groove and squash the thing around it as they are pliable. The cats love them so much, I gave the rest as trearts after the pills were finished. A bit fiddly but they are big enough that you could chop them in 1/2 to make them last longer  ;D

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_27
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 07:52:48 AM »
None of mine like Defurrum!! I Actually think that is quite pricey for claw clipping Rosella - it seems good value today cos of how long you were there, but a general claw clipping takes minutes, so it is a lot. My vets charge £8, so I am lucky I can do all mine myself.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 07:46:58 AM »
there is a thick gooey gel which is strong enough to keep any tablet in place,

Sounds purrfect for the ⅛ of a tablet I have to give my Jessica twice a day. The tablets are so small anyway and 4-5 whole ones would fit on one Drontal and they are less than ½ as thick. I also need to give Jeannie ⅛ of a blood pressure tablet twice a day and they are also very small, an utter nightmare, especially the morning ones when I am grumpy and not with it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:49:35 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 00:07:08 AM »
Can't help with the worm species diagnosis but you should invest in some 'defurrum' treats...  You snap them in half and there is a thick gooey gel which is strong enough to keep any tablet in place, you'd need to snap the Drontal in half though as they are quite big.   The treats are apparently quite tasty too so you shouldn't need to coax Billy to eat it  ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Billy had a worming pill today
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 23:33:09 PM »
Billy Whizz lived up to his name today.  I thought I saw evidence of tapeworm near his nether quarters (white flat about 1cm long) last night but cannot be sure as can't get that close to the little devil unless he's in the mood. Anyway decided not to try giving him Drontal tab myself as I value my life and was going to vet for Tom's manicure in any case today as he has been catching his claws on stuff. Not my usual vet.....

Well it took 4 of us to get him to take his worming pill (Frontline spot on flea treatment at same time) and now I'm nursing 2 long, deepish scratches down inside of my right arm.  Still not sure about tapeworm and no other evidence of fleas but better safe than sorry. Poor old Tom had to have a tablet too (so vet could show he could do it with a normal cat I suppose lol)

As I brought my own worming and flea treatments with me, vet only charged £8.81 for claw clipping which was pretty good I thought as I was there a good 20 mins mainly trying to placate my little fella.  Needless to say, he is giving me a wide birth tonight :(

Freddie came in tonight with what looked like a very small (about 1 & 1/2") and thin normal pinky brown coloured worm on his tummy fur. Does that sound like roundworm or a normal baby worm from garden?  Have I just got worms on the mind?????

He also had a small twig stuck to his "trousers" under his tail if you get my drift. He comes in with all sorts stuck to him recently as he likes to sit under beech hedges. He is forever coming in with those small slug things stuck to his tummy fur. I spend a lot of time picking c***p off him in fact lol. Not complaining of course....

Link to CatChat