Author Topic: Older female cat won't accept 2 younger females  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Older female cat won't accept 2 younger females
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 14:55:17 PM »
[then I'll make sure they all have good homes. Believe me

I don’t wish to be rude, but all rescues both pedigree and moggie are full of cats that were once homed to so called good homes.

Also every time a female comes into season it increases her chances of mammary cancer and also pyometra which  is a life threatening infection which many unspayed females sadly get.

have the back-up of some very experienced siamese breeders here in the Netherlands.
Unfortunately it is not the breeders who have to deal with the problems of their being too many cats it is us in rescue and believe me every day I am asked to take in pedigree cats and that is the lucky ones, some sadly so not survive long enough to be taken in by a rescue.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 15:01:37 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 10:02:39 AM »
The fact that your two youngest are going in and out of season could be contributing to your females issues with them, as she cant be the dominate one, as in the proper hierarchy, they are above her. You also have health risks to your younger two, the pill isn't a good option for cats, and you could actually be making them infertile by using it, the majority of breeders wont use it, as there are no guarantees they can breed from them after having them on it. So, if you are considering breeding, you should do all the thinking before buying potential breeding cats, as it isn't good on their health to be waiting until you decide to breed from them.
Please spay your cat

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 13:05:17 PM »
Actually, I don't have a mixed bag of cats, I have 3 orientals and a siamese.  I may not be an experienced breeder, but I've had cats for quite some years now, so I think I do know a little bit, may be not as much as you do but I'm certainly no beginner and I did say IF I decide to breed not when.  I also have the back-up of some very experienced siamese breeders here in the Netherlands.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 00:12:16 AM »
Dont you have rescues bulging at seams like over here or feral colonies in Netherlads?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 22:04:04 PM »
Sorry, Beverly, don't mean to have a go, but I really do agree with Christine. Forgive me for saying this, but you have a mixed bag of cats there and seem to have very little experience with cats. Good breeders know what they're doing. Have you had all the necessary FLV etc tests on all your cats? If one of them is positive, you shouldn't breed. Please get more informed.
Personally, I think it would be better to have your kittens spayed. There are many beautiful unwanted cats and kittens in the world. Let them find a home, don't add to the problem.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 21:28:14 PM »
On the one hand I agree with you but on the other hand I think I'm old enough and wise enough to make sure that, if I do decide to have a litter (and it is IF) then I'll make sure they all have good homes. Believe me, I've travelled throughout Europe and seen so many awful, horrible things that happen, not only to cats but to many other animals as well, and if I thought for one moment that I would be adding to that misery, then I wouldn't even think about it.  I live in the Netherlands and I have to say that the attitude here to cats and to animals in general is different than in England. Owners here are, generally, very responsible for their pets, making sure they're 'seen to', chipped and get regular health check-ups.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 20:50:13 PM »
I have to say, hun, that I personally am strongly against breeding more kittens when there are so many unwanted little ones in the world already, more arriving every day and insufficient loving homes for them.  :'( However beautiful your puddy is - and I'm sure she is lovely.

Some of the folks on here who do rescue will be able to advise you better than I, but I really urge you to reconsider, have the kitties spayed as soon as posible and just concentrate on giving them the best lives possible.

Best  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 20:31:23 PM »
Well, we were thinking about breeding from the seychellois as she is such a beautiful looking girl, but at the moment they are still too young, hence the pill.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 20:28:48 PM »
To answer the question about being spayed. BooBoo is spayed but the other two aren,t although they are on the pill. Having two cats who are in season every two weeks is no joke.

If I understand it right, they are seven months old? You do need to have them spayed ASAP. Other, more knowledgeable folk than I will be able to tell you all the horrible health risks they face every day you don't. Not to mention pregnancy...

:Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 20:27:35 PM »
Glad to hear Boo Boo has seen the vet and will hopefully no longer be in pain.

The fact that the two kittens have not been spayed is probably the reason BooBoo is attacking them ... can I ask if there is a reason why they haven't been spayed?
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 20:22:42 PM »
News from vet was good??? 4 weeks ago she had to have 7 teeth out!!!!!  Seems that her mouth hasn't healed as it should have and it's still causing her pain, hence not being able to eat, therefore losing weight. Has had pain -killing injection, antibiotics and an injection to help boost her appetite. Today she was more like her old self and has started to eat again.
Have to go back in 2 weeks for check-up and if all's not as it should be then, then he will take x-rays of her mouth because it may be that there are still bits of tooth that have got left behind. So, although the result was better than I thought, it still doesn't help the situation with the others. Have now asked the behaviourist to start drawing up a plan of action

To answer the question about being spayed. BooBoo is spayed but the other two aren,t although they are on the pill. Having two cats who are in season every two weeks is no joke.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 19:44:06 PM »
I've only just read this thread, but it does sound as though the older cat might be a bit jealous. (Well, who can blame her? She was there first!)

What happened at the vet check, Beverly-Jane?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 18:31:05 PM »
Beverley-Jane, what happened yesterday, any news?

A thought occurs - are any of these cats unspayed?

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 18:44:12 PM »
I've made an appointment for tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Very nervous about it because we've already lost two of our beloved babies in 8 months and I'm hoping and praying that this diagnosis will not be the same as the others.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 18:32:26 PM »
i defo think she needs to see a vet asap...I'd get a couple of blood tests ran on her just to check her general health and also thyroid levels.

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 16:33:48 PM »
We thought at first that she was only focusing on one kitten but that wasn't the case, she'll attack them both if she has the chance. I'm now busy talking with a behaviourist and her first advice is to get BooBoo checked out by the vet. She thinks that there is maybe something medical wrong because she has stopped eating, so before we can proceed, I have to get her examined.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 23:11:20 PM »
Is the older female always attacking the same kitten? Sometimes cats resent the arrival of kittens, especially if you give the kitten lots of attention. Often the kitten is too boisterous for the older cat.
Is it the Siamese kitten which is being attacked? I've never had a Siamese cat, but I have heard they can be very hyperactive and vocal. This may be annoying your older cat.
It may be a good idea to keep them separated for a while longer. Perhaps see your vet who may recommend a behavourist.
They may settle into a truce as the kitten gets older, till then perhaps separate them.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ruba

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 22:07:17 PM »

Would you consider behaviour therapists?  I've heard they can be very good, but wouldn't know .

But if you think nothing can be done, which cat would you rehome?
As the older girl was there first she should stay there, what do you think?

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 21:38:44 PM »
Thanks for the tip about the website. I've just read it and to be honest have done pretty much everything that was suggested but to no avail.  Have had the two new ones since Nov. and there is no sign of improvements, in fact the situation seems to be getting worse, my older one, BooBoo, has now stopped eating and is losing weight rapidly. I'm getting very stressed abouth things, wondering if it's better to think about re-homing.

Offline Ruba

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 21:27:59 PM »
Hi there, I've recently been researching cat websites A LOT because of getting a cat and she having kittens, and I've discovered a very helpful website re introductions, here's a link:

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

Hope it helps.  :)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 21:23:25 PM »
Have recently bought 2 7 mth old females. One is a foreign shorthair, the other is a seychellois (siamese). I have 2 older cats, both foreign shorthairs and one of them, the 8yr old will absolutely not accept the 2 new ones; to the extent that I have to keep them seperate otherwise I seriously think that the older one would cause them serious harm, if not kill them, she has already attacked them twice, causing a severe bite wound which needed veterinary help. Is it an idea to contact a behavourist or has someone out there been through the same experiences and been able to resolve it themselves. I'd be grateful for any help and advice.

Oh dear, how  long did you spend introducing them, as I know it can several weeks before you can safely leave the new cats with resident ones and rushing it can be a really bad idea...

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 21:00:46 PM »
omg u better keep them seperated for the time being until someone can give u some expert advice on what to do .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline kezmayuk

• Adult Cat
  • Mitsey - Lancer - Evo
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 20:57:46 PM »
sorry cant help but lots of other members can, hope the problem gets sorted and you new cat wasn't hurt to bad, i think it will learn to except it in its own time gook luck Kerri

Offline beverly-jane

• Kitten
Older female cat won't accept 2 younger females
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 20:53:36 PM »
Have recently bought 2 7 mth old females. One is a foreign shorthair, the other is a seychellois (siamese). I have 2 older cats, both foreign shorthairs and one of them, the 8yr old will absolutely not accept the 2 new ones; to the extent that I have to keep them seperate otherwise I seriously think that the older one would cause them serious harm, if not kill them, she has already attacked them twice, causing a severe bite wound which needed veterinary help. Is it an idea to contact a behavourist or has someone out there been through the same experiences and been able to resolve it themselves. I'd be grateful for any help and advice.

Link to CatChat