Author Topic: Advice needed by Meowneko on cat spraying  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Advice needed by Meowneko on cat spraying
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 09:32:22 AM »
he isn't spraying just for the heck of it - you have answered your problem in your post - the blood in his urine is indicative of cystitis, and they can spray with it because it hurts to use the tray - but they can do both, my foster did. His was stress related, so it was more to let me know he was worked up, as he still used the tray as well. I assume you are only feeding dry food, as you dont mention anything else? Mainly wet food is the best thing for cats with urinary probs, I dont think that Iams formula has anythign in it that will help with urinary probs - and it obviously isn't the best food for your cats if you have such overweight cats - unless they are fine at that weight, but I didn't get that impression with your post. Lower pH food can be expensive, but believe me, it will be cheaper than if your cat ends up with a blockage due to his urinary problems.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 02:42:26 AM »
too tired to work out the quote thing to night, post on the board queries and we will help.

The rule in general for litter trays untill things are settled is one for each cat plus one, so in your case 5. Once you have got a pattern as to which ones are not used start reducing them until you have at least 3.

As someone else said dont leave the trays dirty cos this could be one of the reasons he is doing it. You need to wash all the sprayed areas with biological washing stuff and then clean with surgical spirit. then use Simple solution or something similiar. The aim is to get rid of all the smell, even if you cant smell it he will. Do not use anything with bleach in it cos this will attract him baclk to the same place cos it has ammonia in it which smells to cats like urine.

Like someone else said, it sounds that he has a real medical problem that needs sorting out quickly and this needs either a second opinion or serious discussion with your vet.

Hope things improve.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 02:03:32 AM »
Question to other members: How do you get the quote thing to work?

meowneko says:
       "he still uses his litter box, doesn't mind sharing it with the other four cats except when it's too dirty for HIM, he will poop right in front of it
        to "remind" me to clean it NOW"
Are you cleaning the litter box frequently enough? Daily? Don't let your litter tray become dirty, as this could be the source of the smell, not spraying.
It also sounds like he could have a chronic bladder problem. May be a good idea to take him to the vet and get a better expanation of what is wrong with his urinary system.
Why is one of your cats so overweight? Do you feed them all in the same room? Separate the fat one and feed it in a different room. Maybe take him to the vet for dietary advice.
If you're not happy with your vet; go to a different one.
Am I right in understanding that your husband has recently left? This may be causing stress to your cat. But best to get vetinerary advice first.
 :welcome:

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »
which smells really bad by the way...very chemically heavy, don't know how it

I am wondering if the Feliway available in your country is a little different to ours, it it does not smell too bad and many people have great success with it.

I would suggest that you wipe down everywhere the cat has sprayed with a spirit, gin rum, brandy whisky or if that is too painful surgical spirit.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 22:35:08 PM »
hiya meowneko  :welcome: to the board .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 21:59:20 PM »
Hi meowneko! Welcome to the site.

Do you ever see your cat spraying? And if not, can you guarantee it's none of the others?

If you see him spraying, do you ever squirt with a water pistol to get him to relate him spraying to getting a bit wet?!

It's hard to find just the right food in a multi cat household - I had five up until recently.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline meowneko

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 20:49:16 PM »
Hi folks!  Thanks for the Welcome  :Luv:
I haven't had much luck with the advice of my Vet, the internet or Drs. Fosters and Smiths!  I use Nature's Miracle DAILY and have tried Feliway (which smells really bad by the way...very chemically heavy, don't know how it relates to cat pheromones!)

the odd thing is, he still uses the litter box, doesn't mind sharing it with the other 4 cats except when it's too dirty for HIM, he will poop right in front of it to "remind" me to clean it NOW.  but he's spraying just for the heck of it i think.  he has had blood in his urine for about a year now and he's gone to the vet 3 times for 3 rounds of antibiotics which help for a few days and the blood comes back.

the vet suggested a lower ph food, but those things can get expensive, especially for 5 cats!  3 of which are OVER 15 pounds!  currently, I am feeding them IAMS multi cat. 

just don't know what to do!!!   :-:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 18:55:01 PM »
meowneko  :welcome: to purrs.

Maybe this site maybe to able to give you some adivce on  how to deal with your kitty: http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 13:10:49 PM »
Where has it moved to Blip?   Can we have a link

Sorry, Sam - what I meant was that Meowneko's question at the start of THIS thread was embedded elsewhere, so I lifted it out and started this thread with it.

I've left a little post in the original thread saying what I've done.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 13:05:40 PM »
Where has it moved to Blip?   Can we have a link
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
I have moved this post out of another thread, where I feared it might get lost.

:welcome: to Purrs Meowneko
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:37:58 AM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline meowneko

• Kitten
Advice needed by Meowneko on cat spraying
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 08:51:46 AM »
HELP MEEEEEEOW!!!  How da heck do ya use this site???!!! :-:  I'm a newbie from Hawaii and I need some help with my "pee boy".  Has anyone put baby diapers on their spraying males?  Squeak is a 6 year old neutered male and has neurotic tendencies with a bit of psychological anxiety.  He's been spraying all over the damn house since my husband decided he was tired of me and the other 4 kitties!   :'(  I am so sick of walking into a house full of cat pee aroma every afternoon!!!!  anyone have any suggestions?   :sick:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:27:03 AM by Christine (Blip) »

Link to CatChat