Author Topic: Sun cream  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Sun cream
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »
Hippy - think that is the idea with the pet one, it absorbs quicker - none of mine tried to wash it off, but they were rather disgusted with me, as I wouln't let them go till it had pretty much absorbed.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 01:38:23 AM »
Does anyone know a brand suitable for cats which they WON'T WASH OFF?

Polly has white ears, and one has been partially removed because of cancerous changes. Since then I have kept her in during daylight hours. I've tried children's high factor sunblock, but she immediately washes it off; she hates having it on her ears and nose.

Would be great if there was a "non-washoffable" brand.

Don't care what it costs.
Thanks.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 22:07:14 PM »
Chris - I haven't been able to get a conclusive answer as to whether there can be damage if they have the sun shining through a window. Suncream for cats should be applied like humans - so more regularly than once a day if they are going out, it is mainly nose and ears - you should also keep them in between the hours of 12 and 3 if they have very pale or thin skin, to help limit the damage.
Please spay your cat

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 21:13:50 PM »
I have never used this before but think I will have to on Ellie.   She is pale tortie with pink nose and thin fur on pale ears ?   She is 10 months old but not been out yet (I am a worrier but that's for another thread).   Anyway, she loves sitting in the sun shining through the windows so I guess will need sunblock - is it once a day and just on nose and ears ?
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 13:44:23 PM »
Thanks Desley I will see what I can get from my vet then as a pet one is probably best.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 13:24:36 PM »
If you buy pet screen dont get it in a pump, we have one at work for cats and it makes a hissy noise and smells like vodka! Who ever decided those two things would be good for cats i dont know!

Sorry, just had a giggle to myself imagining if you let your cat out and someone else put it on them - coming home at all hours smelling of Vodka - what on earth would you think they'd been up to!  :rofl: :rofl:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 13:21:55 PM »
Smylees is a company that sells it - you can't get it direct from the manufacturer, I went down that route last year!! I have the one that is in like a toothpaste pump, and you smear it on their noses/ears - I remembered why pet is better, it absorbs into their fur/skin quicker than human ones do. I dont need it this year though, the current cats dont have any white on their face - but cats with thin fur also need it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »
I bought a stick of sunblock for babies (something like factor 50) and use that on Tigger's ears which are white at the edges.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »
Desley where do you buy Smylees?  I can't find it on-line.  After losing Kyle to ear cancer caused from sun burn and now with Maisy having white ears it is very important to me to get her a good quality high sun cream for the summer.  I did look at Pets at Home but if I remember correctly (I may be wrong, it was some time ago) the factor was not very high.

PS, Kyle was a stray I took on and already had this condition, I am not a bad cat mum and did not let his ears get like this.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 11:45:46 AM »
If you buy pet screen dont get it in a pump, we have one at work for cats and it makes a hissy noise and smells like vodka! Who ever decided those two things would be good for cats i dont know!

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:27:57 AM »
just had a quick look on the PAH site and they do a Sun Block stick for £1.99 - it looks like a pritt stick. It says it protects against UV and UB rays for up to 6 hours, I think I'll get one and try it out.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »
I think anything that's suitable for babies is ok

I think I read that somewhere many moons ago.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »
I think anything that's suitable for babies is ok for cats but you can get ones for pets.  I've seen one at pets at home but don't remember what brand it is or how much it was.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:11:28 AM »
Cats and dogs need high factor sun cream on their noses and ears in summer.
I would suggest you use something like E45, Not Ambre Solaire or anything like that.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »
I personally use cat sun cream - Smylees do it at something like £6.99 and no p & p, but it was only a penny cheaper than my vets. The vet said I could use childrens, but it has to be high factor. There is another benefit to pet, I just can't remember it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
Sun cream
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:59:08 AM »
Morning Guys

I'm thinking about summer and Biscuits ears (not that the two go together normally i know lol) She has little white tips and I know I may need to put some sort of sun cream on them. My question is what type is best? Can I use normal shop bought stuff or does it have to be a special make? And if its shop stuff would children's be better.

Link to CatChat