Author Topic: whats ur cats fav cat food  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: whats ur cats fav cat food
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 08:01:02 AM »
As Helen says, HiLife do a tuna food - they actually do more than one though, and not all are complete, but if you gave them one of the complimentary pouches, as long as They have had at least one meal of complete food, it wont hurt them, mine used to get it for their supper. Feline Fayre do fishy foods too, and Morrison do a cat tuna - both of those are complimentary.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2007, 23:02:48 PM »
Hi-life do a tuna flakes cat food, I think it's as close to Tuna as you will get. http://www.hilifepet.co.uk/catfoods.aspx?id=1

I have to admit I gave Tiggy tuna quite often when she was poorly as it was one of the few things that could tempt her to eat, she had lots of other health problems towards the end of her life so overeating tuna was the last of her worries! 

Offline kezmayuk

• Adult Cat
  • Mitsey - Lancer - Evo
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2007, 20:00:16 PM »
thanks Desley, is there anything like tuna with the nutrients in it, on the market?
i also feed mine Whiskas in jellyand whiskas biscuits

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2007, 19:27:55 PM »
You could prob give it weekly or fortnightly, just not too often, as they can get addicted to it, and tuna doesn't contain enough nutrients, there is a health issue they can get from eating it too often with not enough 'proper' food, it is somthing like steatitis.
Please spay your cat

Offline kezmayuk

• Adult Cat
  • Mitsey - Lancer - Evo
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2007, 19:24:00 PM »
i give mine tuna in sunflower oil once a month as a treat they love it more than there food, would give it to them more often but not sure if i can???? ;D ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2007, 19:21:55 PM »
I only use tuna in spring water for the cats, but might try oil, as Tiger is suffering with furballs at the moment - she does like Katalax, but hates being brushed!!
Please spay your cat

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2007, 19:16:44 PM »
ive only ever given my cats tuna in spring water
i didnt know i could give the one in the oil but i might try it now if it helps hair balls  etc and it must make there coats shiny i should imagine ?
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 18:25:39 PM »
My oldies have become addicted to Whiskas Chicken Supermeat, and won't eat anything else except a little dry food (strictly limited by me!).
Every 2wks or so I give them tuna in oil to prevent furball. Samantha washes her fluffy, lazy friend Polly, so is prone to furball, unfortunately, she's not fond of fish!

Gone are their mousing days. The last time they caught a mouse, Polly came in with it wriggling between her jaws. Fortunately (for mouse) Polly has no teeth (don't know how she lost them, she sat and yawned years ago, and I noticed this odd phenomena) so she tried to 'jaw' the mouse to death! Poor mousey had a rough massage till Samantha pinched it and finished it off!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 16:33:33 PM »
Mine all want whatever's on MY plate!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 16:22:41 PM »
Max is loving Nature's Menu at the moment, he has that in the evening, and is having Whiskas Oh so meaty/fishy for his breakfast, with a bit of his dental crunch.  He also loves treats, but he's on a bit of a diet at the moment so he only gets them on a Friday  ;)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline fleur

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 14:30:10 PM »
Mine love James Wellbeloved dry and I'm discovering they pretty much won't touch everything else dry-food wise, great when i just bought 2 2kg bags of PaH own brand food!   :doh:

Sadly my parents cat is missing, presumed dead as of last week, so they made me take all her food when I went there the other day as they couldn't bear to look at it :( So I normally only give the boys Nature's Menu, but now we have tons of Gourmet Pearl, Felix as good as it looks and Sheba and they wolf the whole lot. Am trying to disguise the PaH stuff by mixing it with the wet, not working too well of course!

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 11:36:41 AM »
Mia loves anything with big bits of fish, so she adores hilife fish pouches and tins. I just gave her tesco's finest white fish and king prawns and she loved it, but god, did it stink! She also eats hilife meat pouches, but isn't too keen on the poutlry ones, and nature's menu. I also give her JWB kitten dry all day to graze on.

Déborah xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 21:44:05 PM »
Susanne - yes, you are right about feeding complimentary with complete, but it doesn't occur to me as I wouldnt' mix wet food unless they were being exceptionally picky.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 20:17:16 PM »
Noooooooo not mice  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
id die if mine eat a mouse

They're already dead lol.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 20:15:50 PM »
My two will only eat FAGAIL at the moment  >:( they used to eat Hilife pouches or Nature's Menu

Rascal has always been a fussy eater and now Muppet has joined forces with her  :Dont know:

Haven't tried them on Applaws might give it a whirl  :rofl:

Oh and they have Purina one biscs to graze on 24/7  :yes:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 19:43:12 PM »
I don't given them raw meat of any kind especially offal, I think you have to be very careful especially with liver which should be slightly cooked to reduce the Vitamin A levels.

Convenience food is a wonderful thing but we forget that their teeth are there for a reason.

Mine all eat a raw diet, including offal, to ensure a balanced diet. Liver eaten in whole prey in the wild isnt cooked! Vitamin A toxicty only occurs when liver is fed to excess, which can happen because cats can become addicted to it! Mine aren't, luckily, although they do enjoy it- funnily enough they prefer poultry livers to lamb or ox liver! which is just as well coz ox liver has a strong smell!  :sick:

Absolutely right about their teeth, use 'em or lose 'em  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 19:16:07 PM »
Oh i forgot to add  all mine apart from molly  adrore whiskas temptation treats the cheese n chicken flavour they go mad for them lol
molly wont giv u a thank u for one so instead i give her tiny bits of ham or chicken .

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 19:12:59 PM »
omg i dont blame ur oh for locking hiself in the bathroom id of left the house  :rofl: :rofl:
i cant deal with anything like that im so squeamish ! im so glad mine stay indoors ,
I give mine tuna as a treat (even thou it makes me heave  :sick: :sick: :sick:)
i only give them the tuna in spring water thou and thats bad enough for me to touch and serve it ,id never be able to touch the tuna in brine  :sick: :sick: , ( being a veggie its so hard for me to deal with touching meat or fish and the smell :sick: :sick: :sick: but i know i have to coz if not its not fair on them , i dont mind touching cat food or dog food even if it goes on my hands it dont bother me but when i have to touch chicken or ham  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: i use nearly half a bottle of hand wash after  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline deni

• Adult Cat
  • Rowland and Macavity
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 18:34:40 PM »
My two were reared on IAMS, they're 10, and I have to say they mostly have wet food now. Roly loves IAMS dry but Macca gulps it down which prompts an unfortunate rapid reappearance in minutes. Their one treat every week is Tuna in brine, they love it, but as I say it is a treat.

I don't given them raw meat of any kind especially offal, I think you have to be very careful especially with liver which should be slightly cooked to reduce the Vitamin A levels.

Their teeth are fine, whilst I never give them a cooked bone, they have been known to gnaw the odd shinbone especially when its been smeared with butter and popped under the grill for a few minutes, the marrow is good for them and they get the chance to use their teeth as they should be used!

Convenience food is a wonderful thing but we forget that their teeth are there for a reason.

Roly won't touch titbits, Macca is a nightmare, garlic bread (he once got in the fridge and ate a whole qtr of garlic butter) is a favourite along with poppadoms and cheese and onion crisps. The OH is a major culprit and has to be stopped from indulging Macca. (Who says we women are the pushovers!)

They've played with the odd mouse, played tennis with a bat, the furry flying variety, and Roly's greatest conquest was a baby rabbit which he dragged in through the bedroom window, across the bed which we were occupying at the time  :doh: and then promptly left in the doorway for me to deal with while OH locked himself in the bathroom!
 :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 18:13:53 PM »
 :rofl: I think Letty rates spiders top of the board, closely followed by moths.

Everyone makes a helluva fuss for Applaws, any flavour at all, mind...  ;D
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 16:14:20 PM »
Noooooooo not mice  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
id die if mine eat a mouse

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 15:59:33 PM »
Mice are Bilbo's favourite food closely followed by Applaws Chicken Flake and Tigger loves chicks followed by Applaws ocean Fish.

Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »
My lots absolute favourite combination is raw turkey thigh chunks, heart (lamb usually), and poultry liver, guaranteed to disappear within seconds  :evillaugh: They are all very partial to cubes of raw beef too! They seem to have gone off Natures Menu!  :P 

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 12:06:33 PM »
Mine are fed a compleate dry food too

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:25:59 AM »
 they should put something on the front stating that it should not be feed exclusively.

I seem to remember that years ago, far more than I care to remember, the above infor was printed on a label, but cannot remember which brand.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 09:22:25 AM »
Complimentary is OK to be fed regularly as long as it is fed with a complete dry food.
or a complete wet food  ;)  So long as a food's complete it should contain everything a cat needs, regardless of whether it's wet or dry  ;D  (apart from water, obviously, in a dry food)

I think they should label the cans better too - they should put something on the front stating that it should not be feed exclusively.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 09:19:59 AM »
Ela -  Complimentary is OK to be fed regularly as long as it is fed with a complete dry food

I know that but I am afraid many folks don't realise there is a difference. Indeed as Susanne says many people don't read the back of the tins.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
Ela - HiLife perfection is quite new, but they have recently rebranded all their food. Complimentary is OK to be fed regularly as long as it is fed with a complete dry food. They should make it more obvious though
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
I'm sure a lot of people don't read the back of the tin anyway

I am sure they don't, the only reason I did was because I have not had it before. Many people stick to the same brand once they have found one the cat likes, (we will not get into the same flavours again will we?) ;D

The person who donated this food had only been feeding that type. Although I have not seen it before so don't know if it has been out long or is just different packaging?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:24 AM »
Jaffa and Mosi don't really have a favourite as they devour everything I put in front of them as though it's the nicest thing ever.  They do go mad for a bit of raw meat though  ;D  And they love the applaws chicken with cheese.  Tuna always goes down well, especially with Jaffa.

You're right, Ela - it does say they're complementary but doesn't really give an explanation of what that means, and lets face it - I'm sure a lot of people don't read the back of the tin anyway.  I don't really worry about complete/complementary as I feed a wide variety of brands and flavours and I know most of them are complete so the odd pouch or tin of complementary food is ok.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 08:27:31 AM »
Recently someone gave us some tins of Highlife perfection and the cats love it, however, on looking at the tins I noticed it is only a complementary food and not a complete food.
It is  OK to have a complementary food occasionally but a complete food is essential and perhaps this is something that new cat owners do not realize, indeed why should they I know and it is not something that is written in all the feeding guides.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 07:55:07 AM »
Mine are on Natures Menu at the moment, and Molly also has Perfect Fit as it has a high fibre content for her constipation issues. Molly likes HiLife, but Tiger is a bit unsure of it!! I Think they would both prefer it if I let them have mainly dry food though!!
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
whats ur cats fav cat food
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 23:06:38 PM »
mine are mad for high life at the moment the tuna one ,they also love kitekat chicken with fresh cooked chicken sprinkled on top .

Link to CatChat