Author Topic: Ftse's Chin  (Read 2216 times)

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
Re: Ftse's Chin
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 13:17:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about what the vet said about age, sounds very ignorant to me! Could you get a second opinion?

By the way, Ftze is a very unusual name  :) How do you pronounce it?

Milly's mum, I wish I hadn't looked at the links you sent, especially the first one  :sick: Really horrendous! Poor wee tykes...

Déborah xx

Hi

I will definitly get a second opinion if it doesn't heal or he gets it again. But I have to balance the trauma of taking him to the vets again against that. It took him a while to recover just from the trauma. He a nervous Ginger male and doesn't handle that kind of thing well.

Ftze it's pronouced Footsie. He used to like clinging to trainers and being gently bounced about when he was a kitten. The spelling it just to be different  ;)

Gia
xxx

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 12:57:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about what the vet said about age, sounds very ignorant to me! Could you get a second opinion?

By the way, Ftze is a very unusual name  :) How do you pronounce it?

Milly's mum, I wish I hadn't looked at the links you sent, especially the first one  :sick: Really horrendous! Poor wee tykes...

Déborah xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »
Thats rubbish about age! Its not like how humans get it when they are teenagers.
The meds he has will help if its acne that has got worse and in a few days i would get some hibi and wipe once aday. A blob on damp cotton wool is adequate.
You can buy hibi here with free p+p http://www.petmeds.co.uk/s.nl?sc=2&search=hibiscrub or maybe a chemist would stock it.

Do you keep him uptodate with flea treatment?

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 12:30:39 PM »
Yes, feline acne can occur at any age. I would seriously consider finding another vet. If you contact your nearest CP and ask what vet they use, you should get a very good one.

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »
Hi

Sorry can't post a picurre. Wouldn't know where to begin I am afraid.

It looked a bit like both to be honest. But I would say more like the acne. However, when I asked her she said he was too old for acne. However I have read this can occur at any age.

He was quite traumatised and subdued after his visit. But today he is demanding food and enjoying the sunshne  ;D

Gia
xxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 12:05:22 PM »
Hi Gia, does the sore on his chin look like the 2nd or 3rd picture? http://www.fabcats.org/eosinophilicgranuloma.html Iv not seen a rodent ulcer with black dirt, normally round and pink and shiny. They can often be casued by overgrooming due to fleas, mites etc.

This is what acne looks like: http://www.fabcats.org/acneandstudtail.html
Its a red rash with black dirt. Hibi scrub is a soap used for cleaning skin, it drys out acne which is basically oily blocked up pores.
Can you post a pic of what he has, going full steam with a skin scrape seems eager to me.

Hope Ftze is ok after his trip out  :)

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:23:16 AM »

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I took him to the vets. She said it's a rodent ulcer caused by an allergy to something. It could be his cat food or some plant he has been sniffing. She gave him an antinflammatory and antibiotics.

She took a scrapping and said there was no evidence of mites.

She explained that he may be in a cycle of itching. Gets itchy cos it is starting to heal, so he scratches and makes it inflamed etc.

To be honest the vet didn't inspire me with that much confidence. She didn't seem to know how to handle cats etc.

MillysMum - whats "Hibi scrub" ?

Gia
xxx
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:28:17 AM by gia »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 20:02:11 PM »
Sounds like feline acne to me ... Zephyr suffered with this and still get's it occasionally but I now wash his chin every other day with warm water and an old flannel to keep him clean ... he loves it!LOL.

It might need a quick shot of antibiotics from the vet to clear it up so definately worth a visit to the vet just to confirm.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 18:44:06 PM »
Apparently it could be something else such as ringworm, so it's worth letting a vet see, just to be on the safe side.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 18:18:36 PM »
A daily wash with Hibi scrub will sort it out, although if it swells up he may need a jab from the vet

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 16:57:42 PM »
I'm sure there's another thread here that mentions feline acne, because it helped reassure me when Pimpernel showed the same symptoms. I took him to the vet anyway just to be certain, and now he has to have his chin shampooed every day. It's a messy process, but not too distressing if you use warm water.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 13:39:07 PM »
Nope, as far as I know cats can get acne at any age. I'm sure the vet will be able to tell you if it is that, though.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 13:36:54 PM »
It sounds like feline acne. Do you use plastic dishes? If so, altering to ceramic or stainless steel can help.

Hi

Thanks for reply. I do use plastic but I will be changing to ceramic.

Not sure if he is too old for acne ? He is 13.

Gia
xxx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 13:09:39 PM »
It sounds like feline acne. Do you use plastic dishes? If so, altering to ceramic or stainless steel can help.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline gia

• Adult Cat
Ftse's Chin
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 13:06:13 PM »
One of my eldest cats Ftze has a rash on his chin. It is spreading rapidly and seems inflamed but not sore to touch.
It has little black bits on it but they are not mites.

Any ideas ? It could be fungal but I don't think so. I suspect it may be an allergy. I recently started supplementing his diet with Whikas Senior. Could this be the cause ?

We are off to the vets later.

Gia
xxx

Link to CatChat