Author Topic: Litter trays  (Read 2174 times)

Offline deni

• Adult Cat
  • Rowland and Macavity
Re: Litter trays - Fizzy Crystals
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 18:31:50 PM »
Has anyone tried the crystals? we were in hysterics, Roly who in an ideal world would have a sink, washpaw basin and flowers in the tray. (He really is that fussy and prissy!) went in as usual, we had the one with a door and filters in the lid, he shot out seconds later like a bat out of hell when the blessed things started to fizz! it was ages before he went back in again.

Wood pellets weren't much better, they were fired out of the door flap at a rate of knots as cat litter not good, but as potentially lethal weapons they were brilliant. (specially when the OH is wandering around in bare feet!)

Let's not forget Fullers Earth, leave it a nano second too long and it turns into quick setting concrete that has top be chipped out!

Have reverted back to Bob Martins Lightweight Litter, copes with the aromas and doesn't travel quite so far.  ;D

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
Re: Litter trays
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »
Thats a really good idea Elaine ,
im going to ge some off that today .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 08:07:36 AM »
i have that carpet protector under most of the litter trays (only the one in the kitchen that doesn't have it), it really is good, and one roll will do loads of trays. I clean it off wiht the shower wehn I am doing the trays.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:04:29 AM »
use bleach and boiling water to clean my litter trays then i line them with news paper then tip cat litter on top

Have you thought about that plastic see through stuff you can get in a roll for about £2.99. I think it is carpet protector or something. It doesn't look unsightly and is easily cleaned.

Regarding the emptying and cleaning, obviously poo need to be removed as soon as it has been seen or more usually smelt. After that it depends on the type of litter used, some makes one pee and the who tray stinks, other such as the wood based can be emptied and cleaned less frequently. Unless you have a cat like my Jessica of course who bum is like a caws backside and just squirts, then the who tray needs emptying and washing each time she goes
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 22:09:37 PM »
Forever - in my case, it truly is one tray per cat - Tiger doesn't come upstairs very much, and Molly doesn't go downstairs very much!! All by choice, there are only 2 doors regularly shut in my house (front door and cat room door). Admittedly the fosters are sharing one at the mo, I need to put another one in their room - they are really the only cats that will use other cats trays.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 22:04:08 PM »
Angie, by miltons do u mean miltons sterilising liquid?? if so ive never thought of that ,
i use bleach and boiling water to clean my litter trays then i line them with news paper then tip cat litter on top i fill the trays quite deep ,
i also put news paper on the floor underneath the tray as Bridie has a habbit of poohing on the floor just next to the tray  :Crazy:
the wee dont stink unless u put ya face right next to the tray but it just seems like theres no where else for them to pee where all the litter has asorbed the wee , plus Bridie has had a few uti in the past and i like to keep it all clean incase theres any risk of infection from a dirty tray
the litter i use is adsa tiger cat litler or the tesco one , i only like the cat littler thats white in colour as the others seem to make the trays filthy and all mud like , plus max has a habbit of getting in the tray and chucking litter everywhere and i find the white cat litter easier to clean up from my floor,

the people who have said they have 1 tray per cat dont u find they just all use whatever one they feel like thou ?
for example one tray can be filthy and the other hardly used .
it cost a fortune in catlitter which seems a shame considering its only to pooh n pee in lol
my fav is cats san , and theres one in my pet shop called i love my cat its got a cartoon cat on the bag and its a wood pellet based cat litter but i tend to stick to asdas tiger litter as its only £1.98 per 10litre bag .

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 21:57:48 PM »
I use clumping litter and scoop twice a day, wash and disinfect the tray about once a week and start anew with fresh litter about once a month.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 21:44:19 PM »
I have one cat per tray, I scoop 3 times a day, and empty completely every other day, unless I am using clumping litter (Which I dont think is good in mult-cat households, I had to stop when I had more cats using them, I was taking out so much, I might as well just empty the whole tray!!). They are washed weeklyish - I am poor at remembering days though!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 21:43:06 PM »
Mine are changed and cleaned with miltons (ot Tesco equivalent) daily. I have enough trays to last 3 or 4 days so if I'm busy or feeling lazy, I just empty them and leave them in the Garden until I feel ready to scrub and refill.

Offline kezmayuk

• Adult Cat
  • Mitsey - Lancer - Evo
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 21:40:37 PM »
and wash mine every two weeks  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 21:32:50 PM »
I pick out the poo every day and change the tray every 3 or 4 days. OK it doesn't smell like roses close up but you don't need to change the whole thing every day. If you feel you need to, use an ultra-clumping litter then you know you have got it all out.

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline kezmayuk

• Adult Cat
  • Mitsey - Lancer - Evo
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 21:32:00 PM »
i do mine every 3 days and have two litter trays to three cats (but i get told off now)  :( :(

i think it depends on the actual litter you use, iv only ever used supermarkets own make and find tesco best to suit me
what do you use?
Kerri
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 21:39:40 PM by kezmayuk »

• Super Cat
Litter trays
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 21:26:37 PM »
How often do u all empty and wash ya litter trays ?
i seem to b doing this daily now
the poohs i pick up with a doggy pooh bag each time they do one , but im finding i still need to empty the whole tray where  the litter is all used where its been wee weed on .

Link to CatChat