Author Topic: HELP, MY CAT CHEWS MY HAIR!!!!!  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: HELP, MY CAT CHEWS MY HAIR!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2007, 19:12:40 PM »
Munchkin, your cat thinks YOU are a cat and is washing you in the most difficult to reach place - your head and neck.

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_0t_u8EcDk
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 16:47:14 PM »
Bertie is a hair chewer too - but his favourite is to grab the roots of my hair with his teeth and then flick his head back to try and pull the hair out - it hurts like hell and he's done it before you know what's happening!  Also likes to lick OH's bald patch, which the rest of us try to pretend doesn't exist as he's a bit sensitive about it, but it doesn't bother Bert!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 17:45:08 PM »
Yeap its called Cat Lore and he has another book called fantasic cats recently. I love his books cause he explains alot about cats and thier natual instincts. Most of the probs we have with our cats is cause we dont understand their natual ways!! I've learnt alot from his books  ;D

Have a look at this thread where there are some more great bits
 http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1047.msg17223#msg17223

Amazon are doing Cat lore here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catlore-Desmond-Morris/dp/0517880571/ref=sr_1_4/202-5144611-2318218?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173288070&sr=1-4

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 17:01:46 PM »
Tan, do you know what the sequel to Catwatching is called? I used to have both books, and recently replaced Catwatching, but I can't find the other one.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 11:57:22 AM »
My friend has a giant rabbit that eats chunks out of her hair  :rofl:  (he weighs 9kgs so gets through a lot of hair...luckily her's is longer, but getting shorter all the time!).

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 11:17:30 AM »
Ahhh! In that case, I've heard of it before. Thanks for that!
Might go and have a flutter on Amazon now.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »
Cat Watching is a Desmond Morris book, I think. It's pretty good. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
Tan - that book Cat Watching - who's the author?
Sounds like an interesting read - I'm so fascinated by Charlie's behaviour and would love an insight into what some of it means!

Offline munchkin

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 00:47:05 AM »
  Thanks to u all who gave some answers to my question.  I think  I will find this website quite friendly and helpful. I also have 3 dogs, 2 chinchillas 1 ferret so if I can answer any questions in regards to these particular animals feel free. MUCH THANKS,  Munchkin

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 19:44:49 PM »
lol one of our cats likes to lick my partners head and hair ,
if im laying down and im wearing my hair down very often one of my cats will play with my hair ,
the other week i was sitting on my chair reading the news paper i had my hair tyed bk with a hair bobble ,pickles came up behind me pulled the hair bobble out and ran away with it  :rofl: i had to chase her all upstairs and get it back it was very funny thou lol
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 19:42:29 PM »
Hiya a warm  :welcome: to Purrs   ;D

Munchkin must be ya cats name? Great name  ;D ;D

Yes she is getting comfort from you basically simulating what she would have done with the mum cat by kneeding and suckling to simulate milk as a kitten.
She sees you as the mum  :)

Heres a bit from a book called Cat watching that explains a similar  thing

Why does a cat trample on your lap with its front paws?
All cat owners have experienced the moment when their cat jumps up and with cautious movements settles itself down on their lap. After a short pause it starts to press down, first with one front paw and then with the other, alternating them in a  rhythmic kneading or trampling action. The rhythm is slow and, deliberate as if the animal is marking time in slow motion: What does all this mean?
To find the answer it is necessary to watch kittens feeding at the nipple. There the same actions can be observed, with the ' kittens' tiny paws kneading away at their mother's belly. These are the movements which stimulate the flow of milk to the nipples and the dribbling is part of the mouthwatering anticipation of delicious nourishment to come. This 'milk-treading', as it is called, is done at a very slow pace of approximately one stroke every two seconds, and it is always accompanied by loud purring. What happens when the adult pet tramples on the lap of its human owner must therefore be interpreted as a piece of  infantile behaviour. It would seem that when the owner sits
 down in a relaxed manner, signals are given off saying to the cat, `I am your mother lying down ready to feed you at the breast:' The adult cat then proceeds to revert to kittenhood and; squats there, purring contentedly and going through the motions of stimulating a milk supply.
From the cat's point of view, this is a warm, loving moment. To the cat people are clearly maternal figures, because they do supply milk (in a saucer) and other nourishment, and they do sit down showing their undersides in an inviting manner.  People can react rather differently, once the juvenile reaction of milk-treading is given, they suddenly and mystifyingly thrust the pseudo-infant from them upsetting the cat.
This is a classic example of the way in which interactions between humans and cats can lead to misunderstandings. Many can be avoided by recognizing the fact that an adult domestic cat remains a kitten in its behaviour towards its pseudo-parental owner.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 19:41:58 PM »
 :welcome: Munchkin!

I agree with Ruth and Hippykitty about your cat - and what is her name?  What is her story?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 18:42:13 PM »
I've been looking for a good hairdresser. Can I come round to yours? (See my question in the non-cat section)
This is probably similar to the way that cats groom each other around the head and neck area. Perhaps this cat has come from a multi-cat household and is used to mutual grooming. It may help if you rub her around the head, ears, neck, as cats who begin to groom another cat are often just asking that cat to do it to them. (I've seen it in pairs I've lived with; the one who starts the grooming gets quite annoyed if it's not reciprocated!)
 >:( This is your cat when you don't get the message!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 18:19:02 PM »
It's comfort thing, possilby taken from mum too early and feels the need to need and "suckle" in what he thinks is the right place.

Offline munchkin

• Kitten
HELP, MY CAT CHEWS MY HAIR!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 18:04:34 PM »
 Welcome I am new here, but I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.  I took in a lost cat and for some reason she likes to chew on my hair and lick my neck, all while she is puring, she will also do this to anyone else in the household, WHY???????       thanks to anyone who know the answer

Link to CatChat