Author Topic: Tips for recouperating kitten  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Tips for recouperating kitten
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 07:58:25 AM »
Am glad to hear that. IF the Kitzyme has brewers yeast in it, you shouldn't give it to cats prone to urinary probs, but think Elaine might have given products with Brewers Yeast in to her CRF kitty.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 22:40:19 PM »
Well done Toto - "We're not in Kansas any more"  :evillaugh:

Re: Kitzyme - when Lynn said yeast, I remebered we used to give them to our cat about 35 years ago (I am getting old) - they were in the same type tin as Andrews liver salts and smelt of brewers yeast  - I'd forgotten all about them but remember sniffing the tin  ;D
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 18:58:02 PM »
So pleased that Toto is on the mend  :)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 13:10:43 PM »
bladder surgery really needs same type of post op care as spay, both abdominal ops. altho the bladder one is likely to be midline instead of flank and you should keep a closer eye on urination etc.  also i think a palatable vitamin is a good idea considering she's had to ab ops in short space of time (ps interesting bout the cyst, ive not come across that before - what were her symptoms ?? )

Mark / hippy.  I have no idea bout crf and kitzyme, ive not heard of that product.   I guess you'd need to go over all the ingredients and check against all that you are suppose to avoid with crf, sorry i cant help further.  I havent looked the product up but i am guessing they have vit b/ brewers yeast type in them and i personally cant see any problems with that but i couldnt say for sure.  make sure they arent bulked out with sodium or something silly lke that.

Offline Totos Mum

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »
Hello All,
Just wanted to share with you that we have just gotten the results back from the vets regarding the sample that was sent away following Toto's bladder surgery and I am pleased, relieved, overjoyed to report that it was a cyst and nothing more sinister. She goes back on Wednesday to have the stitches removed and can then hopefully have the run of the house again. She's been an absolute star, still in the spare room and still wearing the collar but not for much longer. I got the conditioning tablets as suggested and she taken to them no problem, infact she appears to love the taste..fingers crossed the treat balls I ordered have arrived when I pop home.
It feels like theres light at the end of the tunnel though now after what will have been a long 2 weeks.
By the way, Tesco's pet insurance has come in very handy and they have been very good so far.

Thanks,

Sarah
x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 17:02:19 PM »
I've just dug out the container and that is the right name Mark. I'm not sure about the kidney failure problem, you'd need to ask Lynn, but I have given them to elderly cats (untested for CRF, but probably don't have great kidneys), and they love them; picks them up too. They eat them out of my hand. They can have 3 tabs a day. Kitzyme is mainly yeast based.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 07:59:39 AM »
I would try confining her to a pen in the front room if you can, so she still has company etc. I am assuming you are only confining her cos of the bladder surgery? They dont need confining after a spay, but am not sure about bladder surgery.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 21:29:08 PM »
I found these on ebay - KITZYME - I'm tempted to order some for Clapton. Do you think they are OK for a CRF cat? (I hate to label him with his illness!  :( )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 19:01:22 PM »
Because she has op wounds to heal, try to avoid encouraging her to be active. Maybe she has too many toys. If possible, confine her to a kittening pen. Ensure she is warm and has a clean tray. Personally, I'd give her some palatable conditioning tabs, like Kitzeyme (I think that's the name, if I've got it wrong, please put it right, someone. I used to give them to P and S if run down.)
I agree that lots of love is called for. TLC is the best medicine.  :ahh:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 18:30:10 PM »
I am no expert but would think as long as you give her lots of cuddles and attention, she will be fine. She needs to know she is loved and by being isolted hasnt done anything wrong.

So pleased she is coping with the collar cos thats usually the biggest problem  ;D

Offline Totos Mum

• Kitten
Tips for recouperating kitten
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 17:14:45 PM »
Hi All,
Can I call upon your wealth of experience please.
Toto my 8 month old kitten had an operation to remove a cyst from her bladder last Thursday. She's was recently speyed and now has not only the scar from that but a rather long wound on her belly, she's been home since Friday night complete with a very fetching collar that she's been remarkably relaxed about...infact she's such a little star and as good as gold.
We need to keep her confimed to the spare room away from our other 3 cats adn she can't jump so it's now empty apart from a barrage of cat toys, a cat tunnet, a telly and radio to keep her company, my Husband works shifts and I am 9-5 but able to pop home to check up on her.

Any tips to tide us through the next 10 days?

Thanks v much

Sarah

Link to CatChat