Author Topic: Persian owners  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Persian owners
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 17:26:13 PM »
Cats like high pitched voices, but QUIET ones!

If her persian isn't keen to be groomed, start gently by stroking him lots and giving him a few strokes with the brush. Unfortunately, she doesn't have long to train him to be brushed as he'll knot quickly.

Luckily, Max, a maine-coon type I adopted at 4years old, already loved to be groomed and demanded it! Once used to it, your friend's persian will too.
Good luck.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 13:46:14 PM »
My friends house if very quiet, just her, oh and two other cats but she does have a very bad habit of say "wheres my baby" to him with the most loud and high pitched voice known to man which is probably scaring the life out of him!  Unfortunately I'm not sure how I can suggest she doesn't do that without sounding a bit too much!

LOL! Could you just somehow work it into the conversation about how sensitive cats hearing is, especially Persians (not true, but hey whats a little white lie?!)  and then when you are there, talk to the little chap how you would  normally talk to your cats ?! ;D and perhaps she'll get the message! - especially if he's responsive to your voice.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 12:42:02 PM »
dawn that would be very good of you to give her the plug ins as they arent cheap.  but why an earth do you think she'd not use them  if she was getting them for free ?? she'd be a blithering idiot not to if it might help !!!!

also if she does can you please remind her to remove all perfume diffusers so they dont block the effects of the feliway.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 12:26:15 PM »
I've got a couple of feliway plug ins I might take round, I'm sure she will use those if I give them to her.  I think I'll go to PAH at lunchtime and get her a book about the breed as a present!  Thanks for all your input everyone.

Thats a great idea! There aren't many really good books on Persians surprisingly (in my opinion anyway!) but, theres one just called 'Persian Cat' by Thomas Critchley, its one of the Petlove books and its published by Interpet, which is one of the better ones. Its great that you recommended the extra trays, and are going to encourage her to use the feliway, hopefully that will help things a bit.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:59:01 PM »
i feel so sorry for that little cat,  His needs when being introduced to a new home and cats have been terribly neglected.  poor thing.

can you highly recommend to her she gets a couple of feliway diffusers and some feliway spray .

also re the persian littertray probs..they can have specific urinary problems and also renal problems but as far as i am aware your friends cat isnt displaying any of those symptoms.

definately recommend a full health check though esp to make sure he is neutered.

saffron

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 12:29:20 PM »
Ambercat is right in everything she has said, I would make sure he is neutered, chipped & given some love & care.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 19:07:46 PM »
He's also a good candidate for microchipping.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 17:06:14 PM »
I would be worried about him being stolen too - sorry, meant to say that before.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 16:07:43 PM »
Well its definitely NOT true that Persian can't climb! They are not terribly athletic, but they can certainly climb, just like any other cat  ;D

I  think as the spraying is something he's done before at his other home it's just continuing in his new home, and frankly, I'm not surprised if the introductions weren't done gradually. Persians have been unfairly singled out as being bad in the litter tray department, and it doesnt sound as though thats the problem, more likely,  as you thought,  he's unhappy. Poor boy, he's gone to a new home and literally been thown in the deep end  :(   Is your friend open to suggestions about how to deal with the spraying, like getting some Feilway sprays or plug ins? rescue remedy etc?

Persians should be bathed to keep their coats knot free, but they should only be bathed when their coats are completely knot free, definitely no bathing a coat with knots. However, there is no point bathing without drying in the proper way, with a slicker brush and hairdryer, so not everyone wants to do that. In which case he will need grooming, with a metal comb, every day - thats EVERY day LOL! I only use talcum powder (Simple, unfragranced) after bathing and drying, but it can be used to rub into the coat prior to combing.

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 16:04:18 PM »
I have a neutered male Persian - he is an indoor cat but he can certainly climb.  He has little legs but manages to get wherever he needs to one way or another!  I would think your friend's Persian would be able to get out of the garden unless the garden has been cat proofed.  I do bath Darcy but use a little baby powder in between to freshen his coat.  I have had no problem at all with him using the litter tray but although he is a very placid cat, he is a little more easily worried than my other two and I would imagine your friend's cat is quite stressed with change of home etc. which has led to the spraying.  I am assuming he is neutered.

They are gorgeous gorgeous cats and I would like to wish your friend well with him  :)   

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Persian owners
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 14:47:57 PM »
A friend has just taken on her sister in laws two year old Persian (sil was fed up with him spraying and didn’t have time for grooming etc).  She has two other cats at home and has decided not to introduce slowly but let them get on with things, the new boy has sprayed a few times mostly at the front door and once in spare room.  I know nothing at all about the breed but have read in few books that they can have problems in the litter tray department, could this spraying be this or is he just a really unhappy boy.  Also she has only had him a few days but is letting him out in the garden because apparently Persians can’t climb, is that true?  Also do they need bathing?  She says not that you use some powder but I thought that I saw somewhere that they needed baths

Link to CatChat