Author Topic: Mia is being spayed tomorrow  (Read 9630 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Mia is being spayed tomorrow
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 16:51:29 PM »
its prob a combination susanne but more so the anaesthetic. it disturbs and even temporarily shuts down you natural gut movements you see and when it wears of you tummy starts gurgling and churning alot of the time and makes you feel ravenous, epidurals have the same effect.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 16:00:58 PM »
Aye, I didn't plan on giving her anymore right now. Normally she can't even eat half that amount in one sitting!  :Crazy:

Déborah xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2007, 15:59:33 PM »
I'm glad she's ok.  She'll forgive you eventually!

I don't know whether it's the anaesthetic or just the fact that they've not had food for a while, but when Jaffa came back from having a dental he was absolutely desperate for food.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 15:57:03 PM »
thats great and i'm glad she's got subcutaenous stitches, they are so successful i dont know why all vets dont do that.

Lots of animals are hungry after a ga but if she's had one can i'd not give her anything elses to eat for a  good while ie much later on tonight, she could still be sick .

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 15:52:49 PM »
awwww glad mia is home and is well , mine was starving when they came bk too .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 15:43:03 PM »
Well, she's home and she's fine, though a bit shaky from the anaesthetic. The vet gave me free cans of hill's recovery food (they could afford it, seeing how much the op was  >:() She was starving and already ate a whole one  :)

The other good thing is that the stitches are all internal, so she doesn't need a collar or anything!  ;D

She's roasting herself in front of the heater right now. I don't think she's speaking to me though  :(

Thanks for your support everybody!  :Flowers:

Déborah xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 15:35:14 PM »
aw glad it all went well, see we told you it would.

Hopefully you are now picking her up and she's fine.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 12:17:44 PM »
Thanks for that Lynn, I knew she was probably going to be off her food for a bit, but I hadn't thought of any specific food to give her  :thanks:

Well, I just phoned the vet, and they told me she's recuperating just fine, and I can pick her up at 3pm  :yesss:  :ok:  :clap:  :Party 3:

Déborah xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 12:04:57 PM »
remember it will be a light meal tonight for mia..ie cooked chicken etc, or the vet sells cans of Hills a/d prescription food...this is  usually liked by most cats and its a convelesing / recuperation food and excellent for the digestive system after an op so perhaps you could get one or two of them just for tonight and tomorrow, altho she'll be fine with normal food tomorrow.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 11:24:43 AM »
Thanks folk,
I've just been to the shop and got her tons of treats!  ;D I'm to phone the vet in an hour or so, to see when I can pick her up.

Déborah xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 11:19:29 AM »
Just give her lots of cuddles when she gets home and something extra nice to eat  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »
Hope you about mia soon deb and im sure she'll be fine.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 10:15:53 AM »
It's hard

I am sure she will be fine and the anaesthetics nowadays are very safe. Please remember she is not alone and hundreds of cats are 'done' most days.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 15:40:01 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 10:09:51 AM »
 :thanks: everybody!

Well, Mia is at the vet's right now. It made me feel better re-reading all your posts, but well, I'm still worried. I just wish it was over!

There was a little bit to walk from where we parked the car to the vet, and the traffic was quite heavy (buses etc.) so Mia got really scared. She was shaking when we got to the vet, which made me feel terrible. It's hard to think of my wee baby all alone in there, I hope she's ok.

Oh dear, I really need to calm down.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your advice and reassurance!

Déborah xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 07:43:50 AM »
Fingers crossed for Thurs, but I would get her done regardless then if she is having heats so often and for so long, there are health risks that are more serious than being spayed in heat - one of my fosters was accidentally spayed at the end of her season, I thought she had finished, but the vet told me she hadn't and things were still enlarged - she was as bonkers after she came back as seh was before, you couldnt' tell anything had happened to her!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 23:05:16 PM »
Hi Déborah, I recently had both my kittens spayed & I too was worried, but thankfully they were both fine afterwards.  I dropped them off at the vets in the morning & by early afternoon they were ready to be picked up.  They were a bit sleepy & didn't feel much like eating for the first day, but that was about it.  I left their bed, litter tray etc where it normally was, so they knew where to go.  Maddi was spayed in December & she had three stitches & Mia was done in Feb & she only needed one.  They licked their stitches now & then, but never tried to bite them or pull them out.  Their fur is now growing back in nicely & I now wonder why I was so worried in the first place! 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 20:07:21 PM »
some cats do seem to be like that..i think come thurs regardless of her season cycle get her done, the vet nurse was right to say a week or so after the end as it would take that long for the uterus to be "normal" so be it tomorrow or thurs i dont think it would make a huge difference but i have every confidence she'll be fine regardless.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 19:55:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice  :thanks:

I did ring the vet and they said pretty much what you all said, that it was possible to spay her while she was in heat, but not ideal.

She is still in heat tonight, so I've postponed it to thursday. It seems to be calming down, so hopefully she will be ok by then. The vet nurse told me it was better to wait a week or two after the end of the heat, which made me laugh, as Mia is in heat every other week, for a whole week. It does seem to be getting worse as well, so I really want it to be over and done with!

Have you folk got any idea why she is in heat so often and for so long? Could it be linked to the fact that it started when she was very young (4 1/2 months)? I wish the vet would have spayed her then, but they refused, and she was very small... Poor baby!

Déborah xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 19:22:10 PM »
it wont make much difference if she's still in season tomorrow or not as the slightly enlarged swollen uterine body and horns will not have gone down in the space of 12 or 24 hours.

personally if your vet was happy enough i'd go ahead with the spay tomorrow as yes its trickier but its not brain surgery, abit more care and time has to be taken thats all. post operatively theres no difference.

if mia is having prolonged seasons i cant see it getting much better as spring then summer grips us !

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 19:15:46 PM »
Fingers crossed she's not in heat tomorrow.  You can spay a cat while she's in heat but it's best not to if possible. 

re the actual operation - I've never had a female cat spayed as I've only had boys but it's still a fairly simple operation and I'm sure she'll be fine (although it's natural to worry).  I think the main thing you'll have to be careful about when she comes home is that she doesn't pick at her stitches.  That's if she has stitches, I believe there's a glue they can use?  I'd ask the vet about glue v stitches etc.  She might be a bit woozy from the anaesthetic when she comes home but that should wear off fairly quickly.  Other than that I wouldn't have thought she'd need to be confined anywhere.  I'd try to keep things as normal as possible for her.  Your vet will probably give you a care sheet to bring home with after care instructions.   She'll probably be bouncing around like nothing's happened in no time.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »
I think you should ring your vet now and have a word, vets have different opinions on this.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
Mia is being spayed tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:54:28 AM »
Hiya,

I know, another topic about spaying, I'm sorry... Mia was 6 months last week, and she's booked to be spayed tomorrow (tuesday) and I have a few questions:

1 - she was still in heat last night (she seems to be ok during the day and it comes up at night). It's been over 5 days now, do you think there's any chance she'll still be in heat tomorrow? She was ok this morning but that doesn't prove anything. Will the vet be able to tell before starting the op? Is it very bad if he starts operating in her when she's still in heat?

2 - Is she going to be ok? I'm so worried and upset about this. I know it's a fairly rutine operation, but well, even routine operations can go wrong, and she's small for her age, and I'm just so worried! What are the risks really?  :(

3 - What do you recommend me to do when she (hopefully...) comes home? Should I put all her stuff (litter box, food, bed) in a quiet room, or would she be better off in her norrmal environment (i.e. would moving her stuff around upset her more?)?

4 - oh god I'm so worried...

Thanks for your time, here's a pic of the wee girl:
http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=2299.0

Déborah xx

Link to CatChat