Author Topic: spaying - behaviour?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline samandred

• Adult Cat
Re: spaying - behaviour?
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 11:58:08 AM »
I have just joined the boards and realise that the little tom  that comes my way regularly is quite a threat to those around him...

I need to get this boy neutered as quickly as this girl cat needs spaying...

thanks guys.  Very informative board...

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 12:05:45 PM »
ok i'll try and get the voucher tomorrow too, if i get it i will make a donation later, i always promised myself i woudn't get a cat if i couldn't afford one but it's been a seriously strange couple of months  :Crazy: 

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
Chimpzoo - you could always ask for a voucher, and then when the money comes through that would have paid for it, make a donation to the branch that gave you the voucher. That way she gets done before her first heat, and CP wont lose out

That's a good idea.  I would recommend getting her done asap because if she comes into heat before you get her done then you face the difficulty of trying to catch her between heat cycles to get her done which may be tricky.  Not to mention having to put up with possible howling, spraying and her desperately trying to get out to find a boyfriend.  She's old enough now to be done.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
Chimpzoo - you could always ask for a voucher, and then when the money comes through that would have paid for it, make a donation to the branch that gave you the voucher. That way she gets done before her first heat, and CP wont lose out
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »
should be able to afford to get

There is no shame in asking for a voucher, best to do that than leave yourself short
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »
Everyone seems to be saying the same thing. I'll get onto the vet in the morning, i should be able to afford to get this done in 2 weeks time rather than mid April.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »
You probably won't notice any change in her behaviour if she's spayed before she goes into heat.  Neutered cats tend to be more home loving and affectionate so any change in behaviour will only be for the better if you do notice anything.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »
there are some health benefits to her,

Absolutely agree, even one season increases the chances of mammary tumors later in life.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 09:24:52 AM »
the only thing it changes really is it takes away their hormones, so rather than getting a cat who constantly comes into heat and wants to desperately go out to find a mate, they will be calmer and more affectionate - it isn't nice seeing cats in heat. I would see if you can get her done now rather than April - you want to try and get her done before her first season really, there are some health benefits to her, but more so she doesn't have to go through it.
Please spay your cat

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 19:02:15 PM »
thanks for that Ela, i totally forgot i got my bank to refund 6 years of bank charges which i'll be getting soon  :wow:  so I think there will be someone else who can benefit from the voucher more than me.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 18:56:49 PM »
 Latest Cp guidelines:-Eligibility. New Cats Protection Yellow Vouchers may be issued to anyone in genuine need of our financial assistance, this includes students, anyone in receipt of means-tested benefits and those reliant on pensions or low wages. However, if, in your opinion, the cat would not be neutered if we did not help, then please do issue a voucher. They may also be used to assist other reputable feline welfare groups (should the need arise). Our only priority is to reduce the population of unplanned, unwanted and abandoned cats in the UK.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 18:33:07 PM »
Hmmm, the last time i was at the vet said they'll contact me when she's 6 months which will be about mid April, it's going to be about £45 which is manageable. (that includes their own £6 off voucher)

Tilda does not go out, so more kitten won't happen. Are there any other reason for getting it done asap?

Ela, What do you normally need to prove a low income?, i suppose mine is low but i'm not on benefits although money is very tight right now due unforseen circumstances.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 18:13:53 PM »
I'll be getting her spayed in the next few weeks.

Personally I would get her spayed now. If you are on a low income (you don't need to be on benefits now) Cats Protection can give you £26 towards the cost and if the balance is still to much for you they can help further with their new yellow vouchers.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 18:04:38 PM »
If anything they get more affectionate  :Luv:

The only thing to watch is not to overfeed, as a neutered cat tends to be more, erm....sedentary!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 17:38:02 PM »
Hi,

Firstly i would get her spayed as soon as possible as she will be coming into season.
DO NOT LET HER OUT until she has been done - she WILL get pregnant

Her behaviour wont change at all when she is done, she will still be the same cat

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
spaying - behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 16:55:59 PM »
Now Tilda is approaching 6 months I'll be getting her spayed in the next few weeks. Just a quick question, does spaying affect cats behaviour?

Link to CatChat