Author Topic: Special cat litter for urinary tract problems  (Read 1729 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Special cat litter for urinary tract problems
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »
thats sounds not too bad, 1 bag lasting 1 cat 1 month..i wonder if its similar to wbcl.

usually we found that products here normally are around twice what they are in the states  >:(

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »
With the exchange rate being like it is at the moment it might not be that expensive. I think it said it was $19 a bag (1 cat for 1 month) although there is a risk postage may be costly but I suppose if people bulk buy or several people club together and split postage between them it could work out well.
Yes it says on the site you can either use it all the time or just a few times a week in which case the bag would last a lot longer.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:17:55 PM »
i think this would be good for peeps who find it ni on impossible to get urine samples from there cats which many do no matter what they try...cats can be so crafty sometimes cant they.. Of course i would hazzard a guess at it being expensive but i suppose you could use it a couple of times per week etc just to keep a check.

Re litmus paper...the last time i used that was on my own son when he was in an incubater, he had a nasal gastric tube in for feeding and we had to withdraw a ml or so of stomach acid and use the litmus to make sure the tube was in the right place and not in his lungs...scary stuff on a 3 lb baby altho strangely would have caused me no cause for concern in an animal LOL

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
We probably have to hold litmus paper mid-stream!  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 11:19:18 AM »
Groovy!  :idea:
America gets all the good stuff

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 07:59:08 AM »
I've heard of that on the American forums, but never seen it over here. If I could find it, I would probably use it, as long as the cats found it OK of course.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Special cat litter for urinary tract problems
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 17:22:24 PM »
Not sure if this will be of use to anyone with cats prone to UTIs but thought I'd post the link just in case.

"The less acidic a cat’s urine, the more susceptible it is to forming stones or crystals in the urinary tract. The most common type of crystals present in the urine are struvites, which form more frequently if pH measures 6.6 or above. Scientific Professional Cat Litter is designed to be an early warning system for elevated pH. The litter color changes to varying shades of pale pink to magenta when the pH in a cat’s urine is above normal. The darker the shade of pink, the more serious the problem may be. "

http://www.scientificcatlitter.com/product_info.php?products_id=1274
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Link to CatChat