Author Topic: Food with more than 4% meant content!!  (Read 3675 times)

Offline myrkos

• Kitten
Re: Food with more than 4% meant content!!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 10:16:01 AM »
They have Hills Science chicken (dry food) available all the time and we feed them three times a day, as they are still kittens. We give them Sheba domes and Whiskas pouches but some of these wet meals are fish (one meal every other day) and chicken (three meals a week).

They are extremely healthy kittens full of energy!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:56:11 PM by myrkos »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »
Myrkos - chicken and white fish isn't actually a balanced, complete diet for cats, I do hope you are feeding something as well as the two things.
Please spay your cat

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 20:44:46 PM »
I think I'm going to steal that fish fillet idea, Myrkos, Mia looooooves her fish!

Offline myrkos

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 19:48:43 PM »
We buy a roast chicken from tesco once a week. It normally costs £2.78 but when we go shopping after work it has been reduced to £1.28...a bargain! We normally have three meals for Google and Linux. 100% chicken and they love it!

We also buy frozen white fish fillets from Sainsbury's basic. 6 big fish fillets cost £1.50. That is 25p a meal and 100% fish. We put the fillet in the microwave and it is ready in 2 mins. They leave the bowl completely empty!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 19:49:16 PM by myrkos »

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 12:31:45 PM »
Just to let you know that Pet Planet's online shop http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=495 now sell Applaws and you can buy as many/few tins as you want to no huge outlay.

I tried my 3 fussy cats on the ebay tins and a free sample and they loved it, so I bought £50 worth of applaws via MPM and they straight away decided that they didn't like it!!  >:(

One of them will now eat one flavour of it (gave the rest away to local rescue) as long as I don't try and feed it to her more often than once a week!!  After trying to no avail to get my 3 to eat decent wet food, they always turn up their noses and would rather tuck into Felix anyday.  So I have compromised and occasionally sneak in a meal of applaws or natures menu (hi-life is a big no-no) whilst the majority of their wet food is felix or whiskers, then I make sure their dry food (down all day and night) is really good quality stuff.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 07:54:29 AM »
Lottie - she was talking about the pouches, not tins, hence my comment. I must check the prices of those tins in my Asda though, am sure they were cheaper than that (unless I was looking at the Feline Fayre tins, which is possible).
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 17:04:40 PM »
Also, I dont know where you are buying your HiLife from, but the RRP on them is only something like 39p - but those pouches are complimentary

The ones I get are 63p a tin as they are the big 400g tins rather than the little 85g pate ones (which upset Tigglets tummy) but again are complementary foods.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 09:20:38 AM »
I don't think applaws is high in phospphorus.  They print the amount on their website and I calculated it on a dry matter basis (using this link from felinecrf http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/dm.html ).  It turned out to be about 0.7 for the flavours I calculated which is low (felinecrf.org recommends lower than 1 for CRF kitties - most prescription foods are less than 0.5).  I wouldn't have thought almo nature would be any different but I don't have the nutritional info for that.

http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/?in_section=applaws&page=applaws_product_information

Do you have any small pet shops near you?  There a few near me that sell applaws individual cans.  The big places don't seem to stock it but some of the smaller shops seem to.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 21:52:31 PM »
Just looked at zooplus site and alarm bells rang. They don't sell applaws but Almo Nature seems to be a similar type food and they warn that it is high is phosphorus so I am a bit wary as I need low-phos food for him - what to do?  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 21:36:20 PM »
Ash is actually something that isn't added, it is produced with the way cat food is made - will have to find the proper explanation to that though, but I do remember reading it on another forum a while back. IT is scandalous what the meat content in cat food actually is, I use HiLife and Natures Menu with a bit of Perfect Fit - not as high meat wise, but high fibre wise, which Molly needs (although they do have some Whiskas at the mo, as Tiger didn't like the HiLife pouches, and it took me a while to get Natures menu - bought 8 boxes at PAH on Sat though!! Good job as she was sick after Whiskas again tonight). I wouldn't feed cats too many purely fishy meals though, esp not if you have males, and defo not if they are prone to cystitis. Also, I dont know where you are buying your HiLife from, but the RRP on them is only something like 39p - but those pouches are complimentary, you  need to feed a complete dry wtih them as well. Morrisons had the tins of HiLife pate at 4 for £1 last week, and Asda do HiLife Cherish pouches at 4 for £1 - they are made specifically for Asda and one other place, and the other tins that are 4 for £1 are made specifically for 2 other places. You can order the full range through their online suppliers though.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 20:37:43 PM »
Just thought of another food that is cheap and high in meat. Hi-Life do 400g tin seafood platter for about 63p and it's packed (75%) with fish and a small amount of lobster jelly.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 20:33:53 PM »
QP ... have a look at zooplus.  They have lots of high meat content foods http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches

eg:     Bozita

Clickon the little pictures for full details of each product.

Sam where do you get this info!!! You are amazing. Here I was worrying that the Light Hills tins didn't have enough meat content and find this!  Well timed!

LOL I don't have  a life and spend all my time surfing the internet!  :rofl:  My boss refers to me as the "mistress of the web" cuz I can find a website for just about anything people ask about!  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 20:02:42 PM »
QP ... have a look at zooplus.  They have lots of high meat content foods http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches

Sam where do you get this info!!! You are amazing. Here I was worrying that the Light Hills tins didn't have enough meat content and find this!  Well timed!

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 19:45:36 PM »
I find I am wasting about 75% of the food I buy clapton so I was thinking of trying Applaws as it actually works out cheaper if he eats it all and I know it has quality ingredients.  have tried Natures menu but none of mine will eat it so ended up giving it to a neighbour. I looked on applaws website but can't see a sample button. I don't want to spend £28 on food he might not eat. Does anyone know how I  can get a sample from them?

Thanks

I went on here: http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Applaws.html and just emailed them for a sample and I got sent two tins!
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 19:37:37 PM »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 19:30:17 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 19:04:14 PM »
I find I am wasting about 75% of the food I buy clapton so I was thinking of trying Applaws as it actually works out cheaper if he eats it all and I know it has quality ingredients.  have tried Natures menu but none of mine will eat it so ended up giving it to a neighbour. I looked on applaws website but can't see a sample button. I don't want to spend £28 on food he might not eat. Does anyone know how I  can get a sample from them?

Thanks
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 19:03:07 PM »
Come onto msn Sarah lol!

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 18:57:57 PM »
Natures's Menu is cheaper than Applaws and is still minimum 70% meat (it's often on special as well so keep an eye out at PAH).

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
Food with more than 4% meant content!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 18:53:25 PM »
Hi

Been looking at the actual meat content in the food that I am feeding Menue. I was shocked to find that it was 4%! I couldn't believe it! And it listed "ash" as another ingredient! What sort of ash?

Anyways, are there any nice, meaty products out there that contain more than 4% meat? I have tried her on Applaws catfood (I got a free sample thanks to Team Svartalfheim! Chicken and pumpkin smelt deeeeelicious!) but I don't know if I would be able to afford to buy it.

She has had some Hi-Life pouches aswell which say on the front 75% meat but these are like 50p a pouch!

Juat realised what a tight arse I sound!

Sarah x
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Link to CatChat