Author Topic: Collars - They hate them!  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Re: Collars - They hate them!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2007, 21:27:27 PM »
Just to let you know I got the Kitty Collars from Marla the other day & they are great.  Mia loves hers & although we've not yet convinced Maddi to wear one, she made less fuss when we tried this time round  :heeee heeee:

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 12:35:11 PM »
I'm happy to stick with the collars they have at the moment (elastic safety section) because I know for a fact that they can get out of them if needed.  Yesterday Paddy managed to get underneath the bath because one of the panels blew off (windy weather and old house/windows).  I noticed when he came out that he was minus a collar so I looked underneath the bath and sure enough the magnet (and collar) was stuck securely to a pipe.  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 16:26:14 PM »
If its near the surface in the leg, couldnt they remove it?

Theres safety collars made by Canac that you should be able to fit a magnet onto, as they dont have a huge lump of plastic:
http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CH9404

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 14:04:13 PM »
I did ask the vet and they recommended not rechipping for the above reason. If the migrated chip had stopped working then it would be simpler.

We have ove a period of time had many cats that have been chipped twice and not found it to be a problem. It can work believe me.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 12:23:36 PM »
one of my cat's microchips has migrated down to his leg and the catflap wouldn't be able to read it

Is it possible to chip again?

I think it might cause confusion on chip scanners... possibly error readings etc?

Susieh - my area has the same issues (as well as some others) which has fed into my decision to, pending saving up enough ££, cat-proof my garden and not let them have the run of the neighbourhood. That'd certainly solve your cat-flap problem...

I did ask the vet and they recommended not rechipping for the above reason. If the migrated chip had stopped working then it would be simpler.

I can't catproof because me and my cats lodge with a friend in her house, she won't allow it and if she did - the backyard is so tiny that it would be the same as keeping them indoors, which I am not happy about doing because they love going outside so much, even if they spend most of their time indoors by choice.  When I move to my own house in the next couple of years then I will definitely cat-proof if I move anywhere near a busy road or non-cat-friendly neighbours.  In the road I live in at the moment, there are over 20 cats in my row of just 8 houses and the so neighbours don't have a problem with mine, I just have a problem with their cats being territorial  :scared:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 07:33:27 AM »
I think it might cause confusion on chip scanners... possibly error readings etc?

I do know of cats being chipped twice and of course nowadays the microchips are less likely to migrate, also if there were to be two readings as long as the same address was on both there should be no problem.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 22:56:14 PM »
one of my cat's microchips has migrated down to his leg and the catflap wouldn't be able to read it

Susieh - my area has the same issues (as well as some others) which has fed into my decision to, pending saving up enough ££, cat-proof my garden and not let them have the run of the neighbourhood. That'd certainly solve your cat-flap problem...
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 13:13:47 PM »

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »
I totally agree that collars are not good.  But I have to have them because of the high number of aggressive cats in my street and the only thing that keeps them out and stops them attacking my cats inside and spraying everywhere is my magnetic catflap.  And before someone tells me about the microchip reading catflap, I can't have one because one of my cat's microchips has migrated down to his leg and the catflap wouldn't be able to read it  :innocent: Unfortunately the catflap I use has magnets that don't fit onto breakaway collars so I can't even use them  :(

I also live in a very built up urban area with hundreds of cats in the vicinity and I know several people who live nearby and haven't had collars on their cats - their cats have disappeared and years later they have still never found out what happened although all suspect run over.  With a collar and tag this probably would have been resolved although not stopped from happening.

If I ever move to a more rural area or catproof my garden then I will get rid of the collars asap but until then I have to stick with them and mine have so far had no problems.  In order to get them used to collars early I started them young (about 4 months) and put the collars on (no bells cos they do my head in - let alone the poor cat who can't get away from it) for a few minutes when they were eating or playing.  Then slowly built up the time with collar on once they were comfortable with a short time.  They were always supervised when wearing their collars until they were totally fine and all 3 have taken various amounts of time to get used to them.  My youngest took the longest and would fight his collar for months until he accepted it aged about 7 months.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 18:10:21 PM »
This is a pic of Rosey a stray I rescued who got caught up in a dangerous collar, Rosey lost her leg but luckily made a good recovery.

Rosey wears a Kittycollar now the only ones I recommend, they are safe and come with advice as to how to put them on correctly.

Yes some collars are dangerous but properly fitted safety ones on a microchipped cat is added insurance in case the cat becomes lost.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2007, 17:51:36 PM »
never saw collars as being that dangerous

Some people are happy to have collars on their cats as they feel happy that their cats are wearing a safety collar, and if they are happy then you cannot argue with that. It is just that I in my roll of cat rescue see the other side.

There have been many discussions about collars on this forum and CC in the past but to have a fair discussion there needs to be both side of the story.

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 16:59:13 PM »
 :omg:Aaargh Ela, what awful images I have in my head just now.  I never saw collars as being that dangerous & have personally never known any cats to have suffered through wearing one - fortunately!  My biggest fear is of my youngest kitten going missing.  We let her out at the weekend & stay with her, but even then she can't wait to get over the fence to explore.  We are in a fairly built up area & there are lots of cats around.  As such I am hoping that if she does disappear when we start letting her out more often, that someone will have the decency to call us if she goes missing.  I know there is likely to be the odd nasty piece of work around, but I truly hope that nobody in my area would purposely hurt a cat.  Also, based on what I have heard about the kitty collars, I believe them to be the safest option around should I feel a need for my cats to wear a collar.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 08:43:08 AM »
I prefer for cats that go outside to have a collar on, I think that looking 'owned' can make a lot of difference to the General Stupid Publics attitude to them.

Becca I am sure you know my thought on collars so I would hope that the above comment is about the publics attitude to cats and not people who abhor them (even some of the so called safety collars) and have seen numerous cats lose their life to them. Only very recently I threw away a draw full of collars that have been removed from cats that we have need to take in for one reason or another, although I didn't keep those that were embedded in cats bodies. I have tried to keep out of this topic but feel I need to ask the question.

In respect of the 'looking owned'. In all honesty we get as much abuse to cats that have collars on as cats with none. Collars did not prevent a cat being set alight or another two actually found hung on their owners fence with their own collars.

This is a debaste that is never ending cos we all have differing views

Agreed, all we can do is tell it as we personally find and know actually facts and then people can make up their own minds.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:47:13 AM by Ela »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 21:53:43 PM »
Kittycollars are great.  Can thoroughly recommend them.

Pad doesn't bother with his bell on his collar.  Never has.

I know the debate rumbles on about collars, but as I have always had cats that were used to going outdoors, I figure having a collar is a good way for people to know they "belong" to someone.  Sfaety is paramount though, which is why I like Marla's Kittycollars.

fuzziesdad

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 20:02:51 PM »
I prefer for cats that go outside to have a collar on, I think that looking 'owned' can make a lot of difference to the General Stupid Public's attitude to them.

very true in an urban situation,......but since moving to rural Wales we rarely see another cat and those we do have not got collars + the fact that if any cat comes into the village thats not known I eventually find out about it and everyone knows we have six cats its been the topic of welsh conversation for years  :rofl:
Urban is different houses in close proximity and loads of people walking about collars are essential.
and although rural both our youngest and more lightly to wander pair still have theirs quick release from wilkinsons.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 13:46:33 PM »
Rhona maybe try putting Maddi's collar on right before teatime (if she has wet food etc) and taking it off as soon as she's finished - before she starts to fuss and try to take it off - and gradually increase the amount of time she's got it on.

I prefer for cats that go outside to have a collar on, I think that looking 'owned' can make a lot of difference to the General Stupid Public's attitude to them.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 22:02:59 PM »
Just been on to Kitty Collars & bought two of their 'personalised' collars.  Although Mia has now begun to accept her collar, we had to remove Maddi's again as she was pretty traumatised with wearing one.  Will remove the bell from the Kitty Collars once received & with them not having any tags, hopefully they willl be accepted by both furbabies!  Thanks again for the advice & pointing me in the right direction.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 23:42:19 PM »
Asda and Morrison's now sell proper, breakaway, safety collars. Kitty Collars are the best though.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 23:02:52 PM »
I got mine from Pets at Home, cos I forget when I went to Wilkinsons the week before - they were the same price actually, £1.99, just a plain colour. The bells are a lot louder than any of the others I have used though, so you would have to take it off.  My friends kept pointing out really nice ones, but they were the buckle kind. Only prob is I dont remember where I put Molly's this afternoon to bring it up and put it on her!!
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 18:45:04 PM »
Alternatively, if you want a cheap and cheerful one, Wilkos actually do a few with safety release catches that are really nice!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 18:44:36 PM »

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 18:43:59 PM »
Go to Kitty Collars, best collars in the world.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 18:37:45 PM »
Many thanks for all your responses.  I removed the collars last night to get the bells off & put them on again this afternoon before letting the kittens out.  Mia seems to be handling it a bit better now, but Maddi still ain't happy.  Both of them are microchipped but as Mia in particular likes to run off, I feel better at having our phone number on her collar so that if somebody finds her we will get her back (in theory!).  Will persevere a bit longer!

Re. the safety element - we bought them from PAH & they do state they are 'safety collars', however not sure if they have the quick release mechanism Teresa & Gill mentioned.  I remember a couple of threads of Cat Chat re. this.  Is there a particular place to go for these special collars?

Thanks again for your help.  :smile:

fuzziesdad

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 15:48:31 PM »
the 4 oldest do not have collars now after reading the damage they can do ,but..................the 2 youngest have still got them (safety ones) but even they will have them off when they are grown a little.and all are microchipped.
Mind you it took me several months to shake off the paranoia and fear of losing another one but they have all been good to their dad and stayed in the garden,in fact none of them have ever roamed far from us here in Wales apart from of coarse "kitty" totally blind and a proper houdini it would'nt be the first time we found her sitting on the pavement listening to the traffic :rofl: but I wish she was still around  :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 15:32:19 PM »
Yep, that's the bit everyone agrees on! ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 15:24:40 PM »
None of mine have collars cos I also dont like them but they are all chipped.

This is a debaste that is never ending cos we all have differing views . If you want them to wear a collar, please ensure it is a safety one with a breakaway clasp.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 15:03:55 PM »
I have never used collars - I hate them lol
Mine are all mirco-chipped.

Mine are all microchipped too. But if a cat doesn't have a collar in the area I live, people assume it doesn't live anywhere!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 15:01:22 PM »
I have never used collars - I hate them lol
Mine are all mirco-chipped.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 10:34:24 AM »
I haven't had any cats that have bothered with the collars, but I did have one that went bonkers when I put one with a bell on (she came with one without, it was the old style CP ones), but as soon as I took it off, she was fine. My girls got new collars yesterday, I just have to decide which colour they get so I can put them on!! My friends did think I was bonkers in PAH yesterday checking the safety collars.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »
I have to admit to never having this problem. All of my cats have been happy to wear collars, and they all get a new one every year as part of their Christmas box. :)

I second the safety collar statement, though. I used the other type for many years, until I saw pictures of a cat on either here or CatChat of a cat that had tried to struggle out of one.

It might be a good idea to take the bell off; some cats just don't like bells!

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 19:44:09 PM »
Perhaps you could take the bell off until they get used to them ? I take it they are the quick release safety collars ? Its very important that they are fitted correctly you should be able to fit between 1 and 2 fingers inside.
Sorry dont want to come across as giving a lecture but kitties who struggle with the collar are more likely to get a leg through or even caught between teeth.
If all is fitted right and bell removed they will soon adapt
Good Luck

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Collars - They hate them!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 19:37:22 PM »
Hi there, Just bought Maddi & Mia collars today.  They have little tags with our phone number attached & a little bell thingy.  I put them on about 3 hours ago & the kittens went mental.  They have been scratching them & rubbing their heads along the floor to get them off.  Not sure what annoys them most - the collar itself or the belll!  I'm sure many of you have been through this before - so how long in your experience does it take before the cats eventually accept their collars?  Also, do you leave them on all the time or remove them at intervals? 

Link to CatChat