Author Topic: Advice please - just found out our cat is diabetic!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Advice please - just found out our cat is diabetic!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 17:02:31 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Fairy, and as you see, you have come to the right place. Ask away!

And do let us know how your parents' cat gets on - what is his name?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 15:59:06 PM »
I know of cat who lived 5 years with diabetes and it was older than 8 when it got it. Iv never had a diabetic cat but i know it isnt a death sentence.

This is a very easy to read website http://www.sugarpet.net/index.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 23:29:22 PM »
This is from our links section and think it would be helpful to read

http://www.felinediabetes.com/

As said there are others on purrs with diabetic cats and their experience will also help but it is a very individual desease and unlike in humans cos the good type of food for cats is very different to that of a human diabetic but I think the link explains this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 21:58:54 PM »
Fairy, one of my boys is diabetic as is Lyns cat George.

It seemed comparatively easy for the vet to figure out the right type of insulin for my boy, but he does require blood tests every few months just to check the dosage is still right.

Money wise, 30 caninsulin needles can be bought for around £7.99(VetUK) and a small vial of caninsulin (from our vet) costs £13.30. The caninsulin seems to last a few months on the dosage we use.(6 units.)

The questions are tricky because it depends on the type of diabetes your parents cat has.

Just found this:

Prognosis

Managing a diabetic cat requires good communication between you and your veterinarian. A diabetic cat may live many healthy years with owners who are willing to put forth the effort of monitoring the cat's condition daily. Cats tend to be difficult to maintain on the same regimen for long periods of time, and increases or decreases may need to be made in drug dosages.

(From Cornell Feline Health Center)

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 22:03:34 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline fairy

• Kitten
Advice please - just found out our cat is diabetic!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 21:35:20 PM »
My parents cat has been eating and drinking much more then usual - having noticed this after a few weeks (we initially thought he was just being greedy) we went to vet today who has confirmed diabetes after blood test. We are returning on Monday to discuss and commence insulin shots. Unfortunately they don't have any  insurance. I have tried to look up this condition on the internet - most upsetting is the leaflet I found about diabetes on the FAB website that says this should keep cat alive for 2 years - I dare n't show my parents the leaflet on this now! I have a number of questions for the experts on here:

1.  Is the life expectancy for a cat with diabetes with treatment only 2 years?  The cat is male and about 8 years old.

2. How easy is it for a vet to find right amount of insulin to control diabetes

3. Vet has said we will not need to change cats diet - is this correct - I would have thought this might help. 

4. Any idea how much it costs to buy the insulin for daily injection - I can't imagine this is not going to be very expensive  - we will have to pay whatever it is as we love our cat but wondered how much debt this is going to cause. Also concerned that vet wants to keep cat in vets for the first few days with repeat visits twice a week for 8 weeks to try to find the right amount of insulin and the associated cost.

We would be very grateful for your thoughts on this.

Many thanks

fairy  ;) :thanks:

Link to CatChat