Author Topic: FIP testing  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: FIP testing
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 08:52:14 AM »
This website suggests upto 10% http://www.yorkcats.org.uk/fip.htm
If i find the page that says 3% il post it here, iv looked at so many  :doh:
Il also look for the one about having a false zero titre too.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 17:57:52 PM »
i have never heard of that percentage, all the articles I have read indicate it purely depends on the cats immune system - am sure it is either 2 or 3yo when they are out of the main danger period, lets hope it is 2yo.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 16:48:08 PM »
I was reading its about 3% who go on to develop it, theres nothing i can do about it now anyway so il just keep an eye on them all!  :poke:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 15:00:11 PM »
I wouldn't test either because 99% Simon will test positive and this is because he has been exposed to the virus having been with ^George^.

I think the only thing you can do is sit tight and see if any of them start showing any symptoms.
Not all cats that have had close contact with FIP will develop it

Michelle xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 16:04:01 PM »
Simon is 18 months and has lived with George since he was 6 months.
The 3 fosters are 11 months and have been here since they were born, they were ill themselves for quite awhile and were kept apart from my own cats for the first 6 months.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 21:31:41 PM »
Sorry to hear that your vet suspects this. I have never heard of a false negative titre - I personally wouldn't test, I lost a cat to FIP, and I didn't - Ginger had another 3.5 years with me after I lost Tig to it, so he was proof that they dont necessarily develop it - and out of the two, he fit the 'criteria' better than she did. It does normally only affect young and old cats, how old is Simon.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 20:27:46 PM »
I also read that a cat in an advanced stage of the disease can have a false negative zero titre as they have no immune system response to it.   :-:
Makes me wonder why they bother saying you can test, seems you find nothing out thats helpful at all  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 20:15:48 PM »
Thanks all, i was swaying to not testing. I read up and thought it probably wasnt worth it but i like to have other opinions on things  :)

5 out of 6 cats are healthy, its only Simon, who has a weak immune system, that bothers me. I spose its a wait and see game. Now i know the warning signs i can happily stalk Simon for the rest of his life  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 15:29:45 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 18:14:07 PM »
I have to say MM, i don`t think i would test either. If there was a definitive FIP test as there is with FIV then you might decide that it was a good idea but as at the moment this is not the case then there probably isn`t really much point. Obviously it is your decision ultimately.

I am so pleased you got some answers. I know it doesn`t bring him back but like you said at least it answers some of your questions.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 17:45:51 PM »
I wouldnt test and when Roz had poor little black Bob who had FIP , she also decided not to test because it wasnt easy to pass on and also that it is very hard as said below to tell what the results mean in an obviously healthy looking and acting cat.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 17:23:11 PM »
Many cats carry the coronovirus with no ill effects, especialy mutlicat households, breeders etc, but the presence of antibodies in any test doesnt mean a cat will go on to develop FIP.

I agree we don't have cats tested for FIP unless our vets think it really necessary. I once read that anout 60-70-% of cats if tested would show the anitbodies.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 16:10:00 PM »
There is a lot of information from the others on the thread about my colleague's kitten http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1799.msg29913#msg29913 which may be helpful.

:hug:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 18:39:41 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 16:04:55 PM »
So sorry to hear about George  :(

Persoally I wouldnt test, mainly because it only looks for coronavirus (a mutation of which is the cause of FIP) anitbodies. Many cats carry the coronovirus with no ill effects, especialy mutlicat households, breeders etc, but the presence of antibodies in any test doesnt mean a cat will go on to develop FIP. So even if you knew that some of your cats had antibodies, you wouldnt know which, if any, would go on to develop FIP and I think it would mean unnecessary worry - just my opinion.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
FIP testing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 15:42:29 PM »
Having found out that George was very likely to have passed to the bridge because of this, my thoughts come to that of the other 6 cats in my household.
I know a small amount and thats you can check the titre of a living cat but it doesnt make a definate conclusion that the cat will/wont develop the disease.
What would you do if you were in this situation? Test or dont test?

Link to CatChat