Author Topic: Flea Treatment Problems - A WARNING  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Flea Treatment Problems - A WARNING
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 22:42:23 PM »
Might be worth asking the vet about "program" treatment. Apparently they give the cat an injection every 6 months and you don't need to treat the house as the fleas can't grow - not sure about the existing fleas in the house thought. Maybe you could get someone to look after the baby for a day to be on the safe side if you have to spray.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 22:26:07 PM »
Frontline spray was still a POM last time I checked it (last summer), and no idea if it is cheaper as I dont use it, I find it very tricky to use with adult cats!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 15:41:35 PM »
I dont know if its cheaper online? I think the spot on is a good price online, through your site of course

I was just saying it as I though it may be cheaper from an online pharmacy, than in a main street one. I must admit that I have not yet seen it for sale in any shops in the UK yet only in France.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 12:32:29 PM »
I dont know if its cheaper online? I think the spot on is a good price online, through your site of course.  And I dont think the spray is good for adult cats, kittens maybe, you can keep a hold of them.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 12:22:15 PM »
You can now buy Frontline in my local chemist with perscripition.......... no idea of the cost of it though!
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 12:18:50 PM »
If you use that ela, probably although online stuff possibly costs more cos of postage.

I would never use a spray on my cats cos Misa is terrified if I pick up a spray can of anything and runs a mile.

Kocka also wqs terrified of the sound of a spray.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 12:15:56 PM »
My mum get a prescription from the vets for frontline and gets it from the chemist.

Would the Frontline spray be cheaper to buy online?
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 21:30:21 PM »
My mum get a prescription from the vets for frontline and gets it from the chemist.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 20:03:24 PM »
Once frontline appears on the shelves, nobody unless already aware are gonna know the fifference between that and say Bob Martins and if the latter is cheaper then that is more likely to be bought.

Although it seeems great to be able to buy a quality product like frontline over the counter, I can also see a down side where it gets tarnished with the rest of the other stuff on the shelf.

It would be great to get more of the good products on the shelf cos the vets are so badly overcgarging and someone told me that she was worried that if she asked for a prescription then the vets would then just recoup the money on her next vist through something else. Apparently this had been done before.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 19:31:49 PM »
Michelle, I know the majority of the people on here wouldn't, but it is to make us all aware, and for anyone newbies reading who didn't know the difference. I worry about this product, as it is so easily available and a lot cheaper than getting it from the vet - hopefully Frontline no longer being a POM will help, as supermarkets will be able to stock it (although I haven't seen any do it yet, althoguh I know of pet shops who were goign to do it)
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 18:41:02 PM »
I worry as some people less likely to go to the vets will buy this product, and its so easy to get hold of, suppermarkets and petshops do sell it along with other products I think that should only be obtained from the vets.

And also this product doesn't work so it is pointless to use it.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 15:02:46 PM »
Have never and would never buy anything other than products from a vet

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Flea Treatment Problems - A WARNING
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 14:22:59 PM »
I know most people on here would only use vet approved flea treatments but have just received an email concerning an over the counter one. There are a number of issues relating to this email, like vet treatment and whether a cat should be left in this state etc etc, so please dont shoot the messenger!

We all know that reactions can happen from any of jabs but this one is new to me and definately a warning. Obviously a very bad reaction has happened.

This is the story of what has happened to one cat:

Our poor little cat Millie is very sick after been given a product that is supposed to be good for her! A few days ago we put some Bob Martin Spot On flea treatment on her which is to prevent her getting any fleas.

The product is widely available in pet stores and also even some supermarkets. Since then our cat has been in the vets for 2 days  and has been on a drip and had sedatives and steroids. The product has badly effected her nervous system and although she is out of the vets now, she is still very ill and has so far been lucky not have died

She has had a number of 'fits' were she has no control over her body and is writhing around, jumping and twitching and is obviously in pain as her muscles spasm out of control. During some of these fits she has been completely out of it and has run into the walls and doors, causing herself more injury. Also in general she is not acting like her normal self. She is usually a very mild mannered an friendly cat, very relaxed and a lovely family pet. She is, at times, now so 'freaked out' she does not know where she is or what she is doing. Her eyes are often very wide open and bulging and she is very 'wired' and agitated. It is very upsetting and distressing to see an animal suffering like this.

The worrying thing about this is that the vets have seen this sort of reaction before with this product! This is not an isolated incident!

I have done a little bit of research on the internet and also found other mentions of this reaction on cats. The product is NOT sold at veterinary clinics, but is available over the counter (at pet  stores, supermarkets etc...) because the chemicals used are different to the ones in other products that are applied in the same way (drops to the  back of the neck). These chemicals should not be used on animals as they have not been as stringently tested as the ones available at the vets and there have been a number of cases reported where this reaction has taken place. Some cats have died from this.

There are no warnings at  all on the packet that indicate anything like this. It does say the cat  may salivate if the animal manages to lick any of the product, as it has  a bitter taste. Well, our cat has been salivating quite a lot, not because she has licked any of the product, as this was washed off as soon as  we noticed it was giving her a problem.

She has been salivating because the product has caused herserious harm and damage, caused her to have  fits every few hours where she has no control of herself and salivates heavily as well as wets herself. Its not very pleasant to see the family pet  in such a distressing state. We do not know yet if the damage will be permanent.

The product is meant to protect the cat from fleas for 1 month, so we are guessing it will be in her system for that long and obviously if she is having fits for a month it may well effect her in the longer term.

If you could please pass this on to other pet owners then maybe some other animals we be saved some suffering.

The product is Bob Martin Spot On flea treatment, and I would recommend that no one uses it, ever. Get another product from your vets, such as Frontline, which is thoroughly tested and safe to use. I have also set up an e-mail address so if anyone else has had this>happen to them, if you could send an e-mail with the details to: BobMartinProblems@hotmail.co.uk

There have been cases of this reaction when people have incorrectly used the dog treatment on cats. This is not the case here. We have the packaging and the batch number of the product, and according to all the packaging it is the correct one for cats, although this going to be sent away and tested.)

DO NOT BUY BOB MARTIN SPOT ON FLEA TREATMENT
PLEASE PASS THIS E_MAIL ON TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A CAT AND ASK THEM TO PASS IT ON TO ANYONE THEY KNOW

Link to CatChat