Author Topic: litter tray rebellion  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: litter tray rebellion
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 18:51:59 PM »
Hello and welcome to Purrs

Your friend may want to have a read of wizz's advice on inappropriate soiling:  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/soiling.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 11:00:33 AM »
someone else had a similar problem with a bsh recently I think, if you do a search under Tipsey you should find the thread, I would post a link but I'm pc illiterate!

This was Tipsey's wee thread!  ;D

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1650.0

:welcome:  spleenboy

How many trays do your friend's kittens have?  It's recommended to have 1 per cat plus 1 so for 2 kittens you'd need 3.  You don't always need that many (I have 1 tray for 2 cats) but whenever there are toilet problems the number of trays is one of the first things to look at.  It might be advisable to have 4 as lots of cats don't like using the same tray for wee and poo.  Your friend won't necessarily need to have that many trays permanently.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:37:16 AM »
someone else had a similar problem with a bsh recently I think, if you do a search under Tipsey you should find the thread, I would post a link but I'm pc illiterate!

Offline spleenboy

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »
thanks for your help - I'll get her to try your ideas and will let you know

Matt

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:23:35 AM »
If they were lidded i was going to say remove the door flap but thats not much help now i know!

Offline spleenboy

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »
thanks - no they are unlidded - should she get lidded?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »
At 12 weeks they are still quite diddly & can easily get caught out. I would keep in one room with a tray of worlds best and a tray of fine clay litter like sophisticat choice, tesco sell it.
If you leave a poo in the tray & show them its there, it may help them click onto the right place to go.

If they were never litter trained in the first place then they may need caging to break the habit.

I would recommend your friend to clean the spots they go with a pet odour remover such as simple solution (all pet shops stock this)

Out of interest are your friends trays lidded?

Offline spleenboy

• Kitten
litter tray rebellion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:09:45 AM »
Hi Everyone

I've not posted before but I'm hoping you cna help.

A friend of mine has bought 2 kittens a bsh and a non related moggy. The bsh used the litter tray initially (filled with "worlds best cat litter") but he has recently started going next to it or in other places in the house. This is not related to the new kitten arriving as it happened before he turned up. The new kitten has now started copying the bsh's behaviour causing a stinky problem. They are approx 3 months old and the litter trays are cleaned regularly. She tried moving the trays to the new areas the kittens were going but it didn't help. I thought it may be a settling in thing but they have been there for 2 weeks now and its still happening.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do as her house mate is now threatening to leave.

Cheers
Matt

Link to CatChat