Author Topic: Advice on Patches please  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Advice on Patches please
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 13:36:40 PM »
The poor love has had some diarrhea that I hadn't noticed when I posted earlier, so will talk to the rescue later to see if they feel he should go back to the vets tomorrow. Not sure about his teeth, as her vet thinks they are fine - they are white, and he doesn't have smelly breath, although he does chew funny. I can't really go over her if she is happy with her vets diagnosis.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 13:22:24 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Patches is doing better after his treatment. Will you be able to get his teeth checked out to be on the safe side, do you think?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 10:27:55 AM »
Ela - yep, it is low, the vet has put that down to the fact I gave him some Metacam - I am dubious, as it was only 4 drops (2 at night, 2 in the morning), but he is the vet not me.
He is doing a lot better - still not eating loads in one go, but eating, so hopefully he is just one of those cats who doesn't have a big appetite. He wont touch biscuits at the mo though, but he has had wet food and some chicken. He seems a lot perkier too, he is actually vocal when you go in at brekkie time now, and we had a good play session last night (although he has shown a slight interest in that most of the week), and he is still his very affectionate self. Must get some more pics today.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 11:45:27 AM »
How's he doing Desley?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 09:47:02 AM »
temp went down to 98.5

That is low for a cat, isn't it? I think the norm for a cat is between 100.5ish  (some say 100 others 101) degrees F and  102.5 degrees F
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 23:20:32 PM »
So now he has got worse since seeing the vet the first time and the vet gets two payments from the rescue, they would be better to change to a decent vet.

I hope he starts eating again but still suspect he has a dental problem

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 21:25:47 PM »
Well, we have been to the vets, and Patches has a temp of 104, so he has had an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory jab, and to go back on Mon if no better. We then remembered that one of the kittens who was in the rescue last weekend had the same prob this week - his was just missed cos of the way he has been with his mouth. The only thing I can't understand is how come his temp went down to 98.5 with Metacam, yet it didn't make too much difference to his eating - unless it was cos he needed an antibiotic as well. He seems a bit perkier, not eaten a lot, although still showing interest. He has until tomorrow morning before I start syringe feeding (thought it best to give the jabs 12 hours to kick in first)
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 07:58:05 AM »
Didn't manage to get chance to get hold of the rescue at work to see if she would let me take him to my vets, so he is going to hers tonight. I might have to push for him to treat like dental issues unless he can find anything else tonight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 15:51:42 PM »
Any developments?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 11:30:36 AM »
He has eaten a few mouthfuls of wet and dry this morning,

At least he is getting a little nourishment and water, but I agree it is a worry and an MOT by another vet may be the best option.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
It does sound suspiciously like mouth problems if he's trying to eat and shaking his head.  I'd take him to your own vet for a second opinion if possible.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 11:17:10 AM »
I dont normally leave them longer than a day, but the vet has told me not to syringe feed - which I can't do until at least tonight, as I have no syringes left and couldn't ask for any as they had just told me not too!! So I shall get some from my vet tonight, and am very tempted to do it anyway. He has eaten a few mouthfuls of wet and dry this morning, I still dont think it is enough, and am still convinced it is something like gingivitis. Not 100% sure how far down his mouth the vet looked.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »
He is only about 3, so quite young for dental issues,

Over the years I have had a number of young cats that have needed dentals. Also if a cat had ringworm the medication needed can effect the teeth.

The longest I have had a cat not eat is about 5 days. Nowadays if a cat does not eat after a couple of days I start on a/d via a syringe that usually does the trick and starts them eating.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:28:08 AM by Ela »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 09:56:11 AM »
Did the vet look right to the back of his mouth? Simon gets granuloma at the hinge (not sure of the technical word!) of his jaw and when they swell he goes off his food.
It sounds like gingivitis as a red line shouldnt be there, simon gets this at the same time as his granulomas.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:48:23 AM »
I am still convinced it is his teeth - I checked Tom's mouth (not brave enough to check the girls) and he has no redness where Patches does - he has eaten a bit more today, both wet and dry but he is still acting odd with his mouth, still not a large amount of food though - I put RR on his ears last night and this morning. The vet said he had no tenderness round his teeth, and from what he could see under his tongue, there was nothing there. I haven't seen him drinking, but the vet checked him for dehydration last night and didn't find any. I personally dont think the rescue's vet are as good as the rescue thinks. He is only about 3, so quite young for dental issues, but he was a stray, so we dont know much of his history, only that he came unneutered and had war wounds. I dont normally get cats that are bothered by a move enough to stop eating, which is another of my worries. I'm not allowed to give him any more Metacam though. In himself, he is fine, loving, affectionate.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 23:54:51 PM »
Showing interest in the food and then not eating it really does sound like he has a problem with his mouth or teeth.  It's a difficult one though if the vet has ruled it out,  would it be possible to take Patches to your own vets?  Did the vet have a good look in the mouth itself ie) tongue and throat area aswell or just the teeth?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 23:46:58 PM »
Sorry Desley but I haven't followed Patches progress very closely. He only arrived Saturday?  He is getting enough liquids?  How sure are you that his gums are red and therefore likely to be sore? Did the Metacam have any effect that you could tell?  How old is he? Do you know his history?

I know how I am with a new cat and I'm a worry merchant. You however always strike me in your posts as pretty well balanced so, if there's no change by Thurs pm, I'd be whisking Patches back for another vet visit assuming he is getting enough fluids into his system that is in the meantime.  You say the rescue rates their vet. Have you any experience with him/her? 

Having said all that, I have read and reread your post and I find it worrying that he shows interest in eating but eats little. Really sounds like a mouth problem to me rather than being unsettled as he is a newbie but, if it is a mouth prob, you would expect Metacam to be making a difference by now.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 22:57:20 PM »
I think the mouth sounds suspect, I didnt think there should be any redness at base of teeth.

The other thing is smell, cos if you cant smell you also cant taste. As a human that is horrible but for cat a disaster.

My first instict would be the mouth though. Doews Patches show any resistance to the mouth being opened cos if they try to stop this with a paw it usually means its sore.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Advice on Patches please
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 22:23:04 PM »
Patches has been a very hesitant eater since he came (although his first meal was cat tuna and I must have over fed as he was sick after), he shows an interest in food in gravy, but will only lick it. Yesterday he started trying to eat chicken and then shaking his head. His gums looked red round the teeth to me, so I popped him to the vet tonight who said that the red line is normal, and there was nothing with his teeth to indicate him not wanting to eat. His temp was slightly low, we are not sure if that is an indication of something, or cos I gave him Metacam last night and this morning to see if it would help him eat enough before he could go to the vets. HE has had a small amount of food today, I have mixed Whiskas in Gravy with A/D and water, and he has licked some, but not even a saucerfull I dont think. Vet has said to give him another couple of days, and if no better to take him back - not to syringe feed him or give him any meds. I am not sure about this, he has been here since Saturday now, I think it is too long to be going without, but a second opinion is hard as the rescue think a lot of their vet. I have tried so much food on him since last night it is unbelievable, and he does show interest, but seems to struggle eating when he is interested. Any tips, or things to query the vet over?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat