Author Topic: Keeping an outdoor cat indoors?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Keeping an outdoor cat indoors?
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
My boy is FIV+ and consequently an indoor cat now.  He was picked up as a stray so had been used to the great outdoors, but he's adapted very well to being an indoor cat.  He's got lots of toys, including ones he can play with when we're at work, and he seems absolutely contented.  You just need to make sure that indoors cats have lots of things to keep them stimulated and exercised,  and of course stop them getting bored.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 20:30:44 PM »
My foster Poppy who is semi feral, has been an indoor cat since being with us. She's been here nearly 3 months and despite a great escape once, has shown no real unrest at not being able to go out. She doesn't run to the door when its open, she doesn't cry to go out - so I guess it is possible really - like others say - it depends on the cat.
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 14:22:33 PM »
What is there to lose by trying? The cat has no home at all now. If your friend took the cat in, at least she would have warmth and comfort. If she doesn't adapt within 6mths or so, then a new home would have to be found. At the moment, poor puss has no home at all. So what can be lost by taking the chance?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 14:09:26 PM »
I should probably add, by the way, that I'm not at all against the idea of cats being kept indoors - one of my cats, Bella, is an entirely indoor cat and the other, Bertie, only goes outside under supervision and fortunately doesn't stray further than the garden.  Neither of them has ever led an outdoor life though - Bertie has never seemed too bothered about being outside, and Bella came to me at five months old having always been kept indoors previously, and is too timid to leave the house.  Hence I don't have much experience with outdoor cats, that being the reason for my post.  Personally I'm happier keeping both of mine where I can see them, after losing my cat Tilly in a road accident 18 months ago.  I really hope my friend's new little cat does adapt to a safe indoor life, so fingers crossed!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 13:29:52 PM »
I Would give ti a try, some cats will adapt, some wont, and it has to be better than living outside, even if the weather is getting nicer.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 13:27:55 PM »
I used to live in a first floor flat (and it was quite small) with 4 cats. The cats weren't that bothered about the space, they just made it their own. I would let them out a few hours a night and they were content with that. Maybe this cat will be glad of the warmth and comfort if she has been living outside all this time.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 13:17:03 PM »
, but I've got concerns at her confining this cat to a flat, when she's used to being outside all the time.

My cats used to go out and after a few incidents I decided to keep them all in, they soon adapted remarkably well. My reasons for keeping my cats in are on my indoor/outdoor debate on my site www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
Thanks all.  I'm probably just being over-cautious and worrying about the little one's welfare too much ... I just hate the thought of her being unhappy although I know my friend wouldn't ever be cruel to her.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »
I think she should give it a try (provided that's the only thing preventing her taking on this little one) like the CP suggested.  Although some cats will never adapt to indoors after being outside many do.  Those with FIV for example who need to be kept as indoor cats can live happy lives indoors despite having previously been outdoors.  If it doesn't work out and the cat obviously wants to be outdoors then your friend can always look to be rehoming then.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »
I think it depends on the individual cat, I had two cats a brother and sister from tiny kittens.  Benji (the boy!) used to love going outside and whilst he loved his creature comforts more I don't think it would have been fair on him to make him an indoor cat.  His sister Tiggy, who is still with me, was never really fussed about going outside.  They both used litter trays so the only reason Tiggy ever went outside was to stretch her legs a little, she would always come running back in within 10 minutes of going out.

She is almost 19 now and is completely indoor, she shows no signs of wanting to go out which is probably due to two things, her age and the fact she was never very outdoorsey.  I think your friend should try it out, if the cat were in a rescue it would probably be in a pen so even if she doesn't settle and she would need to be rehomed to a place with a garden it would be like living in a VERY big cat pen for her for a while.  If she's a stray she may be so grateful of the warmth, comfort and love on offer that it wouldn't bother her being indoors.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:27:01 AM »
I do know someone who has converted an outdoor to an indoor but to be honest he was a bit of a scaredy cat in the first place and doesn't miss it at all! He has tons of toys to keep him busy as well.  someone who does rescue will probably be best to advise you

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Keeping an outdoor cat indoors?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:54:17 AM »
Hi all,

Me again, this time not about Bertie but getting some advice for a friend!

Friend is a great cat-lover and would love to have a cat but lives in a first-floor flat with no access to a garden.  Her OH has got a very cute little tortoisehell cat hanging around his house - neighbours think she's a stray, left behind when some people who used to live in the next street moved away.  He feeds her often and would love to take her in, but can't as he has a 13-year-old cat who is very set in his ways and taking great exception to this little cat being in his garden, let alone in the house.  My friend is now keen to give her a home, but I've got concerns at her confining this cat to a flat, when she's used to being outside all the time.  My friend says she's spoken to the Cats Protection League and they've suggested she at least tries it, and then rehomes the cat if it doesn't work out.  She's trying to persuade me to take the cat in if things don't work out (probably because she knows I miss my tortoiseshell cat Tilly who died 18 months ago), but with already having Bertie and Bella and having ironed out the initially fraught relationship between them when Bella moved in after Tilly's death, I don't want to rock the boat with a third cat.

Anyone else got any stories about converting an outdoor cat to an indoor life?  Can it ever work?

Link to CatChat