Author Topic: Cats in Season  (Read 5505 times)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
Re: Cats in Season
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »
my vet has always told me 9/10 days after they can be let out once all the stitches have been removed and wound has healed ,ive never seen a cat out with one of the lampshade collars on
if i did id defo think it had escaped .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
saw the paperwork from the vet and it actually says "do not allow animal to lick the wound" and "keep indoors for two days

I am sure that many people who saw a cat out with a lampshade Elizabethan collar they would automatically think it had escaped, as they would think that surely none would let a cat out like that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:27:29 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 09:09:31 AM »
I was over at mom's yesterday and I popped round next door, kitty is doing fine, she's not been let out yet and she still has her lampshade on so I imagine she'll have a whale of a time when the day comes when she can go out and the lampshade is banished to the bin. I saw the paperwork from the vet and it actually says "do not allow animal to lick the wound" and "keep indoors for two days".

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 21:20:05 PM »
U Must defo keep a cat in till its stitches have been removed

[attachment deleted by admin]
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 16:28:52 PM »
I think the RSPCA say 48 hrs minimum for a feral spay.

Although we usually have soluble stitches in ferals we  keep them in for at least 10 days. We also have them flead,/wormed and ear tipped while under anaesthetic if they are going back to a site so we know which ones have been 'done'

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 16:18:07 PM »
I think the RSPCA say 48 hrs minimum for a feral spay.

Its amazing how many vets are shockingly out of date  :Crazy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
I can't believe a vet would say a cat could go back outside 2 days after an op - I know a lot of people wont do that with ferals, unless they are too stressed by being cooped up.
Please spay your cat

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 16:13:59 PM »
thanks for your replies guys - I'm thinking the best advice all round is to keep her in till the stitches are removed by the vets, I'll let my mom know so she can let her neighbour know.

:thanks:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
firstly never ever under any circumstances let a cat out with a lampshade collar on, it totally exposes them and leaves them absolutely vunerable to all and nearly every danger out there !!!

secondly, if the wound has well healed, she's been kept in for atleast a few days then if she got out (without the buster collar of course) i am sure she would be fine, bearing in mind there are internal stitches in the muscle layer etc and it heals quicker in there than on the out side but ideally if poss i would personally keep them in till a day or so after the stitches has been removed, that way you know everything is 100%

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:12:38 AM »
Although I don't let my cats out at all I would say do not let a cat out until its stitches are removed as there is then less risk of infection, after two days the scar is not properly healed. Our vet also always checks all neuters and spays after 3 days to see how things are progressing.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:08:33 AM »
Gald she's now on the mend after her op.  Personsally I kept both mine in until after their stiches were taken out.....I didn't worry with the "lampshade" as it freaked them out too much.  Just kept and eye on them playing with the stitches (they were only interested for the first few days)........then they got "bored".  Either that or the painkilling injection wore off and they could feel that it hurt a little  :sick:

If in doubt, just get her to give the vet a call for advice.  All I would say is if she is let out (maybe just in the garden) wearing the collar obviously watch her so that she doesn't get caught on anything and hurt herself  ;)
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:01:58 AM »
My moms neighbours cat has been spayed now and she seems to be doing fine. One thing they're wondering about, the vet said keep her in for two days. but she won't be going back to get her stitches out just yet. So the list of questions are : if she's let out does she still have to keep the lampshade thingy on to stop her getting at the stitches, what if the stitches get caught on something, what if she scratches her side where theres no fur, what if she gets the lampshade stuck somewhere - maybe the answer is to keep her in till the vet see's her again lol
 :doh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 08:13:58 AM »
Fingers crossed she is out of season by Thurs - but some vets will spay in season - it is preferable not to though, cos it is riskier, and they normally charge more too. One of mine was spayed tail end of a season, I thought she had finished, and the vet informed me that it wasn't quite over!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 16:42:37 PM »
The cat I had here was in  season for about 5 days, out of season for about a week and the day she was to be spayed came into season again. Hopefully she will now be spayed on Wednesday.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:43:07 AM by Ela »

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 16:18:22 PM »
thanks Liza

and I hope my reply didn't come across as too snappy lol - just protecting my moms neighbour - she's a lovely lady.

:hug:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 16:11:19 PM »
Think it lasts a few days - so should be fine for next week...........sure someone will confirm this.

Glad she's been seen to...........hope I didn't come across as being harsh in my previous post   ;)

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 16:05:59 PM »
my moms neighbour has her booked in for this Thursday thats why we're wondering how long the season will last and whether she'll be ok being spayed - trust me she won't be another one of the poor kitties.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 16:01:28 PM »
Another poor kitty that isn't neutered, from previous post think I recall that this can happen every 3 weeks until mated or spayed  :(

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
Cats in Season
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 15:36:46 PM »
Just a quickie

You know when cats are in season and they do all the rolling around and cat calling - how long can one of these sessions last. I know that if their not mated they will come back in season but we're wondering how long an individual session lasts, and I know each and every cat is different I'm wondering about the average.

(asking on behalf of my mom who's asking on behalf of her neighbour)

Thanks

Link to CatChat