Author Topic: How much to feed  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: How much to feed
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
even Lenny at 14lbs does not eat 5 pouches per day, I'd say the boys eat 2.5/3 a day each

I have had cats that weigh over 16 lb and others that weight 4lb and all eat about the same. 1 pack twice a day or a ¼ tin am and a ¼  tin pm.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 23:03:11 PM »
In theory my lot have a Felix pouch a day plus dried but somehow I think Sasa and Misa eat more than their share. They are getting fat on that and Franta has put weight on too so 5 pouches sounds well over the top!

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 21:33:46 PM »
Now now Sam, the bengals are growing lads at 10/11 months old  :rofl:
On a more serious note though, even Lenny at 14lbs does not eat 5 pouches per day, I'd say the boys eat 2.5/3 a day each (1 at each mealtime plus dried plus chicken or fish as a treat).

Nova probably only eats 1.5 pouches of kitten plus a little chicken plus dried.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 21:21:33 PM »
Crikey, dont know what kind of cats Felix have used for their guideline, the only cat I have had that has eaten that kind of food (well, a bit more actually) was a mum cat feeding 5 kittens!! I think your plan sounds better - you can always adjust it depending on if they eat up and beg for more, or leave things. Now is probably a good time to start introducing adult food into their diet as well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 21:23:39 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 18:49:54 PM »
Foxy and Zephyr have a pouch between them in the morning, another when I get home and then another at bedtime.  There is also dry food down all the time which they all graze on.  Rossi is still a baby and has ½ a  pouch at each meal. 

5 pouches is alot for a "normal" cat.  Linda's Bengal boys might need that much but normal sized cats  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 15:04:08 PM »
I find the feeding guidelines on the back way more than you generally need.  Mosi was 1 in December (and he's a Somali so not fully grown yet) and he has 1 pouch of natures menu or hi life per day (half in morning and half at teatime) then about 40g James Wellbeloved dry food at the moment.  As I'm feeding him more dry now I'm going to increase his wet to a full pouch in the morning.  5 pouches sounds an awful lot.  That's equivilent to approx 100g dry food which is a lot of food even for a growing kitten.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 14:40:21 PM »
I still only tend to give them one pouch between the 2 of them everytime they get feed.........too much is wasted otherwise.  Works out ideal with the 2 of them, no pouches going that little bit "stale & hard".  Jet sometimes prefers to knock it out the bowl and eat straight from the floor...  :)
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 14:33:08 PM »
I've been having the same problem with our little man, Jess almost 9 months old, he has almost 100g of Hills Science Plan dried food in the morning and a pouch of the Felix Kitten in the evening which is also 100g.

Jess never eats all his meat there is always some left, he does tend to eat the jelly on it though and sometimes takes a piece out the bowl and will inspect it then kick it round the kitchen before eating it  :Crazy:

He also has some kind of treat stick every day!  :innocent:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 13:47:42 PM »
Thanks - it was a bit of a given for Jet (given that she's virtually all black) and the OH came up with Cruz (I love David Beckham and he got it from what they called their son as it's also a girls name).  They also sound funny together Cruz Jet.........

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 13:40:07 PM »
Mine usuall try do dive into the fridge when its open.

Your have picked lovely names for your girls.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 13:36:34 PM »
They're both 10mths old now (can't believe how quickly time has gone) - they seem happy enough with what they get plus the occasional treat in the evening too.  They both sit up on their back legs (like a dog begging) and take the treats from you straight in their mouth and gobble them down.........very funny to watch  :rofl:

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 13:16:58 PM »
My cats are all adult and I feed them 2-3 times a day, and they get dry aswell. When they were kittens I fed them 1- 1/12 pouches a day this was all they would eat and if you over feed them they will just waste it.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:53:59 PM »
That's what I thought but wanted to double check...........5 pouches each a day would be bank breaking (not that they're not worth it).  :thanks:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
Felix pouches that they should be having 5 pouches a day now to me this sounds excessive!!!

The would say that wouldn't they as they need to make a profit. We feed small kittens little and often but I would think 2 pouches a day is enough especially as there is dried available.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
How much to feed
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:45:25 PM »
Very quick question..............I feed my girls Felix kitten (pouches) with Science Plan dry kitten food.  Now it says on Felix pouches that they should be having 5 pouches a day now to me this sounds excessive!!!  I leave them dry food all day and they probably have 1.5 - 2 pouches a day......is this enough?  Jet is the more petite of the 2 but actually eats more food........They always take there time eating the meat and never eat it all in one go (apart from breakfast time).  Am a panicing over silly recommendations for nothing

:thanks:

Link to CatChat