Author Topic: One Siamese or Two?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: One Siamese or Two?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
Until recently I had never heard that Siamese's only prefer the company of other Siamese's ... I think this is a myth.  
It may well be, Sam, but I have heard it said by many different people in many different books and magazines over the years so I do wonder whether there's something in it.  Certainly I think lively, intelligent breeds such as siamese get on best with other cats of similar personality - not necessarily siamese - o that may be the source of such rumours.

He is lovely, isn't he!  :Luv:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 10:38:29 AM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: Ahhhh I'm in love .... he is gorgeous and his blog is wonderful.  Until recently I had never heard that Siamese's only prefer the company of other Siamese's ... I think this is a myth.  When our female siamese was tragically killed in an RTA her very dominant brother was about 8 years old and pinned terribly for his sister.  He lost weight and lost all his zest for life so my mum and dad decided to get a couple of kittens as company for him (and them).  Rajah was then presented with two baby burmese's who after a couple of weeks he took under his wing and taught them all his bad habits   :rofl:  Admittidly  they were a similar breed but they got along fine.  I think because Saimeses are so clever / naughty and they like to talk you need another breed that won't be phased by this ..... like Susanne says a foreign / oriental would be fine.  You need something that won't be intimidated or bullied.  It's best to go for an equally intelligent breed.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 10:31:18 AM »
I have heard that siamese are "breedist" and prefer the company of their own kind.

I know someone who  had 7 Siamese, when the slept they all slept on top of each other, just looked like a huge pile of fur, head legs and tails.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:20:51 AM »
I have heard that siamese are "breedist" and prefer the company of their own kind.  No idea whether that's based on fact or not, but maybe he would do best with another siamese or oriental.  He's certainly young enough to accept another cat even if they don't become best buddies - they can still provide companionship for each other.  I think it's good for most indoor cats to have a companion otherwise they can get lonely when we're out at work etc.

edit - just noticed he's 7 years not 7 months!  :-[  It may be harder to introduce a new cat to a cat that age, but I still think it would be a good idea unless you think he'd really rather be an only cat.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:22:45 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline BubbaBoy

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 19:41:50 PM »
He has his own blog at http://morriseythecat.blogspot.com/. I've just updated it.

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 18:46:59 PM »
He sounds a character and yes you do sound nuts.....you will fit in well here, so are the rest of us!!   ;)

I agree lots more pics of the handsome boy please  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 18:56:12 PM by Debbie »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 18:40:20 PM »
He sounds like a typical Siamese to me ... with all his talking and his love of human company.  I Love siamese's they are so special.  Not everyone enjoys have a cat that talks but as I was brought up with them I could never have a quite cat .... I am now slave to two Abysinnians who are not quite as talkative as siamese's but are still very vocal and are just a people loving.

Cat wait to see some pics of your speical boy :)

Offline BubbaBoy

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 18:25:28 PM »
Yeah I did wonder if he was a bit of a loner (how can you tell though if there are no other cats around?). But then I read this article that suggested that Siamese just don't understand other cats (I have to say he does have an odd sense of humour and he is competely different from the other moggies I've owned in the past).

He also has this odd habit of trying to talk to our chinchillas (who just glare at him). And today he tried to talk to a plug hole. By 'talk' I mean he has a specific cry he uses when chatting to another thing he considers to be alive. I sound nuts!! He has a huge vocabulary though and we've figured some of it out. He also lived with a boxer dog and his last owner said he was more attached to the dog (it would carry him around in its mouth I've been told!), so perhaps a dog is an option? Although not at the moment, have to wait till I have a garden/bigger house. I just hate to think of him feeling alone. He spends every second he can with us or near us. He even sleeps in the bed between us with his head on the pilow like a little person!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 18:14:33 PM »
 :welcome: BubbaBoy!

What a beautiful cat Bub is. I know nothing of Siamese cats and will defer to someone more experienced, but our little moggy Blip loathes all other cats with a passion (apart from her Great Love, Jaffa, but that's a different story) so Bub might be the same.

You'll get loads of good advice on here, anyway!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 18:17:25 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 18:07:46 PM »
Hello and  :welcome:

If you have the space I would definatley say two.   However if he ignored the bengals he lived with he may not actually wnat to share his home with anyone else and may actually be the solitary type.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 18:08:09 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 18:03:02 PM »
Hello Bubbaboy :welcome:

I have no advice for you but just wanted to say how handsome bub is  :Luv:  My Sam likes cat company but the neighbourhood cats are not so friendly and just swipe at him, bless him.  I dont think he likes to share me either as I have a little foster kitty here and they are both clambering for my affection!

I am sure you will get some excellent advice here.

Offline BubbaBoy

• Kitten
One Siamese or Two?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 17:51:56 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new here so I'll just introduce my kitty quickly. I adopted a 7 year old male Blue Point Siamese last year (supposedly called 'Morrisey' but known to all as 'Bub' because he makes a Bubbing noise when he is sleeping!). I work from home so he normally has me around during the day but I've started wondering if he may be in need of feline company. He did live with two other cats- both Bengals- but apparently ignored them most of the time. He is very affectionate/vocal/playful/generally adorable and he is a indoor cat (because we live in a city- although this may change this year). I've read that Siamese only really get on well with other Siamese so I'd be looking for a cat of a similar age or a little younger (and a rescue one)...

But at the same time I don't know if he is lonely...hard to tell. He never even tries to get out the flat but I did find him once 'shouting' at a cat he could see in the garden (we live on the fourth floor so that is quite impressive!). Just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding this...Thanks!

Link to CatChat