Author Topic: Tipsey has fleas! Any flea tips?  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Tipsey has fleas! Any flea tips?
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 10:41:22 AM »
This has just reminded me that my boys are due for some Advantage.  I used to give them it a few times a year then got lax and didn't give them any for a while (they're indoor cats and I'd never seen a flea on them) but after the vet discovering fleas on poor Jaffa last autumn I decided to pull my socks up and be a bit more proactive against the blighters.  I last did them before xmas so think they could do with another application now that spring is approaching.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 20:55:28 PM »
Oh No not flea talk
even the word makes me itch im terrified of the little  :censored: :censored: :censored:
i apply frontline on the dog every 6weeks and stronghold on my cats every 4weeks (even thou they r indoor cats ) ( people who visit may bring them in )

[attachment deleted by admin]
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 08:05:38 AM »
When our old cat had fleas we never de-flead house to get rid of them and he never had a problem with fleas again,

I think you have been very lucky indeed as usually fleas live in the home not on the cat. They just jump on the host (cat) for a feed.

Many people with indoor cats have fleas in the home as people can bring them in.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 23:07:23 PM »
When our old cat had fleas we never de-flead house to get rid of them and he never had a problem with fleas again, neither did we and I am definitely prone to being bitten by the little blighters. I think he had something put on the back of his neck and we did this fairly regularly.  No doubt the kittens will get them once they start going out so I have that joy to look forward to again!

Karen
x

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 22:15:49 PM »
Hi there, we used Advocate on both our kittens & it seemed to have worked really well.  Just squeeze out onto the back of the neck.  Our vet has advised we should be treating them monthly, but it was 5 months between treatments the last time.  I comb the cats regularly to check for fleas & as soon as I realised Maddi had flea dirt on her I got another dose of Advocate from the vet.  Also please note that "Advocate is a broad spectrum combination treatment, effective against fleas, flea larvae, roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, heartworms and Sarcoptic mange, ear and Demodex mites".  Only problem is that you need a prescription from your vet to buy via Vet UK if you wish to go down this route.  Can't remember what we used around the house & to be honest not sure if it was effective or not!  :-:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
Thanks for this Ela, I'll go to the site on pay-day...........how I like to treat myself  :rofl:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »
I think if you go to Vet UK site via some rescue sites, they get a small amount from the company

We all get a 5% commission, which is better than a smack in the eye with a wet fish.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 08:04:10 AM »
Hi Lisa

You can get Acclaim from Vet UK which I think is the same as the one I got from vet.  Link below to show you product info and price although I think if you go to Vet UK site via some rescue sites, they get a small amount from the company.  Also the spray will give you clear intructions about how to spray which you should follow to the letter. In particular, I spray one room at a time and keep door closed after spraying for an hour or so and then open all the windows for a while afterwards.  I do the hall, stairs and landing last while I'm out with cats locked in different room until fully aired.  It sounds a bit of a faff but pointless doing it at all unless you do it right with the right product and you only need do it max once a year
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16

No I  don't like to spray things like that around because of the baby. I'm quite sure they only had them a couple of days before I noticed, and I think it could be the other cat that comes round bringing them and then they are jumping off him onto mine.

Having no children, I would have to look into this very carefully before using any spray but if your cat has fleas, I can't see them going without spraying to kill the flea eggs  :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 18:41:58 PM »
You dont want the cheapest flea spray you want one that actually works, and the only place for that is from the vets

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 18:39:41 PM »
Liza if you have "proper" wooden floorboads the little blighters can actually hide in the gaps between the floorboards .... sorry to alarm you.

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/services/environment/pest_control/types_of_pest/fleas/

Some "interesting" flea and tick facts:

Facts about Fleas

Worldwide, there are about 3,000 different types of fleas, but the cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis) is the most common to be found on cats and dogs.

Adult fleas can jump 600 times an hour. Each jump, in terms of the flea's size, is the equivalent of a person clearing a 50-storey building.

The record jump for a flea (usually 2–8 mm long) is 33 cm.

In just 30 days, 25 adult female fleas can multiply to 250,000 fleas.

Facts about Ticks

A female tick can lay up to 3,000 eggs.

Except for eggs, ticks need a blood meal to progress to the next stage of their life cycle.

Some ticks can live for more than a year without a meal.

In very rare cases, toxins secreted by ticks can cause pet paralysis.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 16:44:47 PM »
I'd best get ordering some spray then.............

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 16:43:48 PM »
the wooden floor as it will be swept/hoovered up

You need to spray everywhere it is surprising where the little  :censored: get.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 16:14:00 PM »
When spraying the house do I just need to do the carpet areas, beds etc as I'm assuming that nothing will live on the wooden floor as it will be swept/hoovered up.  Also is the cheapest place to get the house spray at Vets UK?

:thanks:

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 13:09:03 PM »
No I  don't like to spray things like that around because of the baby. I'm quite sure they only had them a couple of days before I noticed, and I think it could be the other cat that comes round bringing them and then they are jumping off him onto mine.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 08:16:59 AM »
Ive defleaed my cats and they still have a few why would this be?

Have you completely sprayed your house with something like Acclaim or Staykill?

ccmacey

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 22:44:41 PM »
Just wanted to ask, Ive defleaed my cats and they still have a few why would this be?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 22:28:36 PM »
I was a new cat owner too and didnt know if you found a few on the cat then that was just tip of the iceburg!!

Thats what alot of people dont realise -
once you see them on your cat the house is often infested

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 22:13:07 PM »
Purrrrrsonally I prefer Stronghold and when I first had Kocka all thos years ago I had a flea epidemic in the house. they would land on my legs and I had flea spray fromm the vets and it got rid of the lot. Only ever did the house once and never had any more problems. I was a new cat owner too and didnt know if you found a few on the cat then that was just tip of the iceburg!!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 15:02:15 PM »
A cat/kitten with fleas will most certainly have tapeworm and I do not think Stronghold covers tapeworm.

You are right Ela

Kittykat, The kitten will need to be wormed aswell.
you will also need to treat your home. (once done it shouldnt need doing again or you can do yearly)

Then keep up the treatments monthly for fleas (with either Stronghold, Frontline or Advantage from vets)
and worming every 3mths or so (Drontol or Milbimax again from vets)

And dont worry , every animlas picks up fleas !!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 08:32:59 AM »
A cat/kitten with fleas will most certainly have tapeworm and I do not think Stronghold covers tapeworm.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 21:39:04 PM »
I agree with Sam.  Frontline is what our lot use but as you have already used Stronghold (even tho it may not have reached her skin) not a good idea to use anything else on her until her next treatment is due especially as she is only a baby. It really is very important to treat your home though even in winter as central heating can help to hatch the eggs.  Itch itch  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 21:33:06 PM »
 :rofl: I think it's safe to say we have ALL had fleas at some time (well our cats have not us!)  I think frontline spot on is probbaly the best thing to use and can be used on kittens from 12 weeks of age.

http://www.winterflea.co.uk/health_guides/cats/guidekit.asp
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 21:34:56 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 21:29:20 PM »
Just had a quick read through your last few posts to check and see that you are indeed a newbie to the cat slave society.

I'm pretty sure most people who have had cats for years have come across fleas before and no need to panic.  You said you've been given Stronghold. Was this by the vet as he/she should have also strongly recommended household flea spray to use on your flat. Any old rubbish from supermarket is no good. You need the proper stuff. I currently have both Acclaim Hosehold Flea Spray and Indorex Spray in the cupboard both of which are supposed to last 12 months.

I got 2 kittens when I initially moved from home many years ago. One was from a house near to Winson Green prison. No sign of fleas on her.  The other came from a posh antique dealer's house and she was alive with feas so don't for a minute think this is a Class thing  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline kittykat

• Adult Cat
Tipsey has fleas! Any flea tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 21:11:33 PM »
Our little 14 week old kitten has been scratching alot lately so i took her to the vet.  Shes got fleas!!!

And now i've found 4 bites on me!

We've given her free reign of our home (including bedroom) so they must be everywhere!!  (i'm itching like mad just thinking of them)

We've been given stronghold for her.  She riggled like mad as i applied it so it got onto her hair but i not so sure if it reached the skin.

Has anyone else had a cat flea problem and how did you get rid of them?

Link to CatChat