Author Topic: Dentabits  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Dentabits
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 23:56:52 PM »
Mine wont touch raw  ;D

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 10:10:05 AM »
Sorry, read the bit about raw chicken and jumped out of my chair with fright. If it's raw would be worried about bird flu, salmonella, etc...
Jaffa loves raw  ;D  I give them premade raw about once a week and they snack on raw chicken and beef.  Salmonella is less of a risk in cats than humans due to their short, acidic digestive tract although it's probably best to go for good quality, organic chicken to be on the safe side (I don't when just giving them pieces of meat for snacking and they've come to no harm yet).

Forgot to say - yes, I get the plaque off from vetuk.  I've seen it in Jollyes and other small pet shops but not in pets at home (though not really looked tbh).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:11:33 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:51:53 AM »
Sorry, read the bit about raw chicken and jumped out of my chair with fright. If it's raw would be worried about bird flu, salmonella, etc...
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 15:34:20 PM »
Rosella, you can buy it from vetuk with free p+p, 1 pot should last a cat 1 year so its not too pricey. If you vist vetuk through our links page we get a small donation
http://www.colchestercatrescue.org.uk/id6.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 23:06:58 PM »
Misa loves dentabits and crunches them. But there seems to be a bit that always falls off each one and he wont touch those! Only the whole ones he can crunch............dont have any idea if it helps and sometimes he just goes off them. He just had the last of them tonight.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 20:32:09 PM »
Sounds good Susanne. I might try it when the dental kibble used up which will be a while yet as only really use it for treats. At £15 a bag, I ain't chucking it out (and they all love it and both Tom and Billy crunch it about 4 or 5 times before swallowing).  Where do you get the Plaque Off from and how much does it set you back? Thankfully, apart from Freddie with no teeth to speak of, other 2 seem OK (touch wood) and no bad breath probs. Would do no harm tho to try and ensure no future probs.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 20:18:07 PM »
Jaffa swallows the large dental kibbles too  8)  I think he sucks them a bit until he can swallow the whole thing!

I've had success with plaque off.  I've being using it twice a day (sprinkled on wet food) for about 4 months now and I've noticed an improvement in Mosi's breath.  He used to have terrible breath - no teeth problems or any other health problems so I assumed it was just down to the high meat diet he has (catkins breath!  :rofl: ).  It still smells a bit but it is better than it was.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 19:16:54 PM »
Not entirely convinced but, if dry catfood works at all to help with tartar control, I think the kibble has to be pretty big so they don't just swallow it. Have you tried Royal Canin Dental Veterinary Diet? It cost about £15 for a 1.5kg bag from vet. The kibble is pretty big so they can't really just swallow it altho toothless Freddie (aka Fang) has swallowed a couple on occasion so we have to be careful to sneak it to the other two whilst he isn't around.

The cats love it too. I sometimes crumble a few up for Freddie. I also use it to give Tom his Metacam drop. Tom just licks the Metacam drop off the piece of kibble and eats the kibble afterwards.  Oh dear I hope I ain't doing anything wrong  :scared:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 18:31:55 PM »
Ahhh, that would work fine with one of them. The other is diabetic, and I put him a raw chicken wing down earlier (after reading that it would help his teeth and gums) and he's been sick twice since having a munch. Not the best reaction!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 18:16:15 PM »
Useless imo,when my cats had them they were barely chewed!

Dry food doesnt do much for teeth either, again its mainly swallowed. If crunched it shatters on the tip of the tooth, not much good when the problem is around the gumline.
The best thing for chewing is a raw chicken wing, the tartar will soon be gone  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 18:16:03 PM »
They do from time to time, but it is mainly dry food they eat. I was told this was better for their teeth, but now I'm not entirely convinced!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 18:12:57 PM »
Both my boys have terrible teeth, don't know why!

Do they eat wet food ?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Dentabits
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 16:46:54 PM »
Both my boys have terrible teeth, don't know why! Anyway, dentabits......opinions on their effectiveness please? :)

Link to CatChat