Author Topic: Cat weeing/spraying help!  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat weeing/spraying help!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 17:49:10 PM »
OR they think it sounds like cat litter?

I reckon thats it, your bursting for a wee, you walk over the bean bag on your way to the tray and the feeling underfoot is that of litter, bless them!

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 15:15:26 PM »
thanks! I should have said that the bean bag incidents have been a month apart. I have sent my husband out for some pet stain remover and feliway spray so we shall try that, and then monitor both kitties carefully in case it happens elsewhere.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:40:14 AM »
Almost  daily we  are  asked to bring in  cats just  because they have  a wee problem or spray.  Very often this can be resolved with a little time and patience. I am amazed when I ask have you a litter tray and am told no,  often a litter tray provided - problem solved.   If you know which cat  is weeing or spraying it is wise to have the cat checked out by a vet in the  first  instance  to  ensure there are no underlying medical problems. CP  advise  always  provide  a  litter  tray  irrespective  of your  cats age  even if they are allowed out,  cats do not like to wee and poo in the same tray so sometimes it is necessary to provide 2 trays to alleviate any problems, ideally one litter tray per cat is the best option in multi cat households.   To remove the smell of the urine and hopefully stop a recurrence  we suggest you clean the area thoroughly with a solution of hot water and a enzymatic soap powder, allow to dry then  wipe everywhere down with a spirit brandy,  gin,  whisky,  rum (I did purchase some rum in France once and it was so horrid I used that on the carpet and it worked very well)  and if that is  too painful  surgical spirit.   Once all traces of urine are removed  you could put a little dried cat food down or try Feliway spray from the vets, used daily for a time can be a benefit,  there is a Feliway  ‘plug in’  however I have found it as much use as a chocolate teapot. No doubt some people must have had some success as been on the market for a while now. My own cat Jeannie used to spray everywhere, up wall, on the curtains, this behaviour stopped within in a very short time after I started to spray with Feliway, only very occasionally now does she have a relapse, it is quickly solved with spirit and a few sprays of the Feliway.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
Cat weeing/spraying help!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »
Since we had our kittens neutered, one of them has weed/sprayed twice onto a bean bag! And also against my handbag!

We dont know who it is, and we thought this would stop after having them neutered, but I am guessing that the sound of the bean bag may be strssing on of them or scaring them when they jump on it OR they think it sounds like cat litter?

Do you think feliway would help calm them down here or are there other steps we should take? My husband is rather upset as it was a birthday present for when hes on the PS2 haha.

Link to CatChat