Author Topic: Proot at the Vet today  (Read 10390 times)

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
Re: Proot at the Vet today
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 14:10:14 PM »
I really hope things have gone well for Proot today.

Baggy, i`ve checked and if it is FIA then that is extremely serious and has to be treated with Ronaxan and possibly Oxyglobin treatment which is similar to a blood transfusion but is actually a blood plasma expander. You would only really know that he has this by doing a blood smear and examining the cells under the microscope. We had a cat in recently that had this and it`s gums were the palest i`ve ever seen due to the anaemia.

I`ve also heard of a lot of cats having a problem when on Felimazole and i know a few of the cats where i work that have been put on it have had to come off of it. I didn`t realise until i was reading up on it last night that when the company that makes it did their studies 20% of cats had to come off of it. I wouldn`t have guessed it would be that high. In cases like this they can go onto Neomercazole instead which is the human treatment for hyperthyroidism. This is what vets used to use long before Felimazole came about but the law states that a vet must use a treatment specifically made for animals where possible unless it causes problems so these days cats have to go onto Felimazole and then can change onto Neomercazole if they have any side effects.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 10:07:53 AM »
Well, the Proot had a reasonable night, we slept downstairs with him.  He joined us briefly for a Very Big Purr at 5.20am, but wasn't up to biting my head or trampling over my pillow.  Not exactly feeling optimistic, but he's brighter and more comfortable than yesterday evening, said "Proot?" this morning as a greeting and has eaten a little.  I think he's wondering why we're both snivelling all the time....

Amanda, many thanks for the info - we had asked about Felimazole, but the vet doesn't think it's contributing, and thinks if he comes off the Felimazole now it would be dangerous as his system couldn't cope if his heart rate increases.

He's on Oxycare in case of infectious anaemia, the vet changed him off another antibiotic.  Vet didn't do a blood smear on Monday he wanted to give Proot a break from sticking needles in him and started the antibiotics on the basis that they wouldn't do any harm, but might do some good.

Going in at 11am.  We're seeing a different vet so will have a good discussion with them.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 23:01:16 PM »
I just found this link which has some interesting information on it http://www.theveterinarian.com.au/clinicalreview/article502.asp

It is unusual because you said that Proots liver enzymes are now normal but you might like to read some of this.

Here is a link on feline infectious anaemia http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?action=post;topic=2051.0;num_replies=25
This is best diagnosed by doing a blood smear and looking at it under a microscope. What antibiotics did the vet give you to try and treat possible FIA? As far as i know the one used to treat this is called Ronaxan.

Does your vets perfprm ultrasounds as this might also be a useful thing for Proot to have.

I have my fingers crossed for him.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 22:19:59 PM »
Do hope that Proot will be OK

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 22:17:33 PM »
I`m so sorry to hear about the Proot. I`ve just found this information about Felimazole.I`m not sure if this is the medication you are using to treat Proots hyperthyroidsim so i don`t know if it is useful to you or not.

"Haematology must be monitored due to risk of leucopenia or haemolytic anaemia.
Any animal that suddenly appears unwell during therapy, particularly if they are febrile, should have a blood sample taken for routine haematology and biochemistry. Neutropaenic animals (neutrophil counts <2.5 x 109/l) should be treated with prophylactic bactericidal antibacterial drugs and supportive therapy.
Immunological side effects (anaemia, thrombocytopaenia, serum anti-nuclear antibodies) can occur. Treatment should be stopped immediately and alternative therapy considered following a suitable period for recovery."

It`s from this site http://www.animalmedicines.co.uk/product.php?productid=451&cat=180&page=1

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 22:13:06 PM »
Oh God I'm so sorry, this was not the news I expected to hear. Proot has really captured my heart, will be thinking of you both tomorrow  :hug:  You have given Proot a magnificent life over the last few months, he is very lucky to have you and vice versa xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 21:36:37 PM »
 :hug: I shall be thinking of the Proot and you tomorrow. Keep us posted...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 21:30:37 PM »
The news I have is not good - this afternoon Proot refused to eat anything, his back legs are really weak and he's starting to get a bit withdrawn.  The vet thinks he can feel fluid on his belly and as he's not responded to the steroid suspects the underlying cause may be lymphoma. He is booked in for an x ray tomorrow morning, but unless it shows anything they've missed I think it's time to let him go with dignity.

I can't believe this has happened so fast.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 19:16:24 PM »
I'm so sorry about Proot - the steroids making him manic is pretty usual I think. My Swampy went a bit frootloops on them and yowled at night, v agitated. He also purred constantly; who knows but I thought it was anxiety. When he finally came off the steroids he calmed down quite fast.

Really hope that you can sort out something that works for Proot on Monday.  Hills are complete morons with their new l/d. I'm not surprised Proot thought it was vile. You poor thing, doesn't sound like you are going to get much sleep this weekend. Purrs to Proot x

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 11:32:38 AM »
We're going back to the vet this afternoon - have the afternoon off work so the Proot can have lots of fuss first....
The last 24 hours haven't been great, I think the steroids are stopping him from sleeping properly and they don't seem to have had a huge impact on his appetite.  He's still eating small amounts, purring and and using his tray.  We've also collected some rainwater so he doesn't want to go out and brave the neighbours!
Does he have to be on dry foods? When mine started not feeling great I found they ate wet food more easily as it pongs more.
Thanks, we've been trying really stinky foods - he went off dry food about a month ago so has been on wet - but just to be contrary when he spent the full day with the vet he ate Whiskas biscuits all day (but has since has only about 10 mouthfuls of at home... :P)
Ham is the only thing he'll eat much of at the moment, I know it's not great for cats but it's better than nothing. 
I'll report back later but have the feeling that he might end up having a transfusion on Monday.
Even though I'd seen the thread on the Hill's liver diet we tried some of that, too but he took one sniff and looked at me as if I were a cat poisoner.....

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 10:35:28 AM »
Hope Proot is doing ok?  I love his name - makes me smile every time.
Poor you and little Proot. Hope the steroids kick in big time to make him feel a lot better.  Does he have to be on dry foods? When mine started not feeling great I found they ate wet food more easily as it pongs more.
all the best.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »
How's the Proot? How did it go with the vet?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 21:48:06 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed the vet is pleased with him tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 22:20:50 PM »
This sounds promising  ;D

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 21:03:37 PM »
Thanks for that - it's 24 hours since his first dose and he's definitely eaten more than he has for days - I think tablets in general take a bit longer.  Here's hoping he'll be wearing a path to his food dish tomorrow.
He had mostly dried food at the vets and has drunk quite a lot this eve, so suspect his tum is probably quite full.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 20:50:57 PM »
I don't know about the tablet version but the injectible version of corticosteroids take 36 hours to fully kick in.  After 12 hours there is normally some improvement, 24 hours - eating normally and by 36 hours you need to lock the cat food cupboard!

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 20:46:38 PM »
The steroid is Prednisone - corticosteroid.
Now I've posted good news he is of course refusing to eat anything  :P

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 20:19:44 PM »
Excellent news  ;D  Do you know what type of steroids he is on, anabolic or cortico?  Tiggy is on corticosteroids and has been for over a year now, they are quite literally life changing for her and when she's had her junkie fix she is like a differerent cat.

Do keep us posted on how he is doing, will keep fingers and paws crossed for Friday's check up  ;D

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 20:10:13 PM »
 :thanks:

Thank you everyone and your moggies for your wishes, hugs, rubs and head-kisses.

Better news - the steroids seem to have started working, the Proot has eaten quite a lot at the vets and his nose and pads look less pale than they have been so the vet decided not to do the transfusion (and apparently they didn't have an appropriate donor today) and to see how he goes on the steroids.

He's very pleased to be home  :Luv:

Going back for a check up on Friday.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 19:14:52 PM »
Really hope the Proot will be OK, please keep us posted on his progress.  Tiggy sends her largest healing head kiss his way...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 18:47:15 PM »
|Hope the vet can help Proot, healing vibes being sent  :hug: :hug:

Offline Lisa

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 14:39:52 PM »
Sending lots of get better vibes to the Proot  :hug:

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 14:36:37 PM »
Good Luck Proot (such a wonderful name!)! Hope he is soon better  :hug:
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 14:30:03 PM »
Sending lots of Love and healing thoughts to brave Proot.  :ahh: :wish: praying that the vets find the best treatment for him.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 14:30:29 PM by Tan »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 13:48:36 PM »
Sending lots of positive healing vibes Proots way

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 13:45:15 PM »
I will keep him in my thoughts today, fingers crossed they can sort him out
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 13:44:37 PM »
Sending support to the Proot and to you too, Baggy. Keep us posted.

:hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 13:32:27 PM »
Good luck Proot   :luck:

Hope they can sort him out quick, im going through a similar thing with one of mine and its horrible so  :hug: to his mum/dad

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Proot at the Vet today
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 13:28:43 PM »
If anyone has any spare good vibes today please can you share them with the Proot?

He had blood tests again on Monday to see if his liver levels were now ok so his anaemia could be treated with a steroid.  Good news is that his liver levels are now normal, bad news is that his anaemia is now so bad the vet is surprised he's kept going.

He's at the vet today while they try to decide if a blood transfusion will help, and is on steroids and an antibiotic in case it's feline infectious anaemia.

He's still managing to eat little amounts, still been pottering around the house and using his newly-found skill with the litter tray so am hoping the treatming will be just in the nick of time.  The vet also seems to be really thinking about the best type of treatment so he's in good hands.....

Link to CatChat