Author Topic: Mating behaviour in spayed cat?  (Read 3628 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Mating behaviour in spayed cat?
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
Perhaps you were a unspayed female in a previous life and still have the smell of a female in season. That is all I can come up with right now as I am not in a thinking  mood. Just a gutted mood.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 09:33:17 AM »
Sorry Ela, your post made me giggle. I've had my knee bonked by an unneutered tom! I was round at a friend's house; she had recently adopted an entire male stray and was about to have it neutered. While we were chatting, he got onto my lap and started paddling, as any cat would. But suddenly there was a shudder from his nether regions and a damp spot on my knee! He was even mating with cushions! Thankfully, she had him 'done'.
I don't think that entire toms are too particular, certainly not in my experience.  :wow:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 09:32:10 AM »
Well the female cat probably does all the same behaviour to the tom, even if the scent is not there - so he's probably not going to turn her down  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 08:10:25 AM »
her owner swears that she has seen her mating too.  I agree that this is probably just a habit

We have loads of older cats spayed, many who have been kitten machines, yet I have never heard of it happening, however I appreciate that does not mean it does not happen.

What puzzles me though is that an unneutered tom would know if a cat is in season or not and it is only at that time when he would be bothering her or at least trying to.

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 17:02:28 PM »
Just to add to the point that HippyKitty made about neutered females still getting 'friendly' with unneutered males.

A cat that belongs to a friend of mine was finally spayed a year or so ago, after having endless kittens until she was about 7 years old.  She is much happier now that her body hasn't got those constant demands from kittens, but she also still behaves very much how she used to in terms of staying out for days at a time, flirting with the local intact toms and her owner swears that she has seen her mating too.  I agree that this is probably just a habit and learned behaviour as she obviously can't have the natural urge anymore.  I'm sure if she had been spayed younger then this probably wouldn't be happening.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
why can't cats be spayed if in season?

It can be done but most vets do not like to at this time there are swollen 'bits'  and more blood around.

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 11:43:18 AM »
I've been following this thread so I hope you don't mind me asking a question and apologies if it sounds rather dumb - Ela you mention you have a cat that should have been spayed but won't be for now because she's in season, why can't cats be spayed if in season?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »
I have a cat here in season (for the 2nd time in two weeks, she should have been spayed on Tuesday but came into season again), she most certainly has not been rubbing her head with her paws and I cannot recall this type of behaviour in any others I have seen in season. Hopefully she will be spayed next Wednesday and then she can go to the loving home that is waiting for her.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 22:48:46 PM »
Having re-read the original post, I wonder whether the cat could be having problems with its teeth (rubbing head with paws). The howling may be indicative of pain, rather than calling. And the cat is "rolling in pain" rather than being provocative.

Just an idea.

I'm sure the vet looked inside the cat's mouth. Maybe pain in the head needs consideration?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 21:51:59 PM »
Well done  ;D

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 21:47:09 PM »
yes that worried me too - why mention it as if it were a problem and then not suggest why it is happening or a way to stop it?!  :doh:

I'll try my best anyway....

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 21:45:20 PM »
Yes I think printing them out would be helpful cos then she can sit and read them slowly and think about everything.

What worries me a bit is that the vet has said she is showing this behavior but has not suggested anything to stop it. I do hope he is a good vet.

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 21:32:39 PM »
ok thanks!  :hug:

I am a bit worried cos my friend hasn't had cats before and I don't know if she'll take this seriously... I hope she does and I'll try and make her...I may well show her this thread and the other one you pointed out to help her understand.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 21:18:29 PM »
Noooooooooooooo you havent offended I just wanted to point out that the two things are different  ;D ;D ;D :hug:

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 21:13:51 PM »
have never had a cat that called, sorry if I offended...  :-[

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 20:22:01 PM »
There is a difference to calling as in mating and heat, to shouting for attention and the two should not be confused.

The latter is a behavioral issue that has to be sorted out by the owner,

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 19:07:25 PM »
hi, thanks for your reply!  :thanks:

What happens though if they find she has been completely spayed? What can be done to stop her calling? Mine used to do that when we first adopted them because we shut them out of the bedroom at night - they soon got round us though and we started letting them in so the yelling stopped.... Us under the paw? never!  :rofl:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 03:44:42 AM »
Claire, I agree with the others that a return trip to the vet is a good idea. IF the ovaries have been left, there could be something wrong; on the other hand she may not be spayed at all!

Ela, Polly no longer cavorts with the local toms. She spends all her time sleeping. But a few years ago she positively encouraged any unneutered tom to mate with her. She was just a trollop! The local area is now saturated with student housing, and there are fewer cats and entire toms around.

Yes, I did consider the posibility of FLV etc, but considering that she had spent six years of her life as a feral, doing nothing BUT mating, kittening and hunting, I figure the chances of both my cats (Samantha was semi-feral, abandoned when pregnant) having come into contact with the virus at some point, is very high. They are either immune, having thrown it off; or persistently viraemic. You may remember from our discussions on CC that I hold very different opinions from you upon this issue. Neither cats have been tested, nor will be. I won't have them pts when the inevitable positive antibody/virus tests come through.

I think that Claire's friend's cat needs to be thoroughly examined, perhaps by a different vet.
But it isn't impossible that she is healthy and completely spayed.
 :angel:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 03:47:00 AM by Hippykitty »

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »
I will,  :thanks: for all your replies, I can't understand why the vet who said she was 'displaying mating behaviour' didn't think to check if she'd been done or didn't mention anything about this though! I'll tell my friend not to let her out till she's been checked then, just in case!  :doh:

:thanks: again...

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »
I would your friend to take her to your vet and have her checked -
I would not run the risk that she hasnt been done !!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:01:45 AM »
I'm not sure whether the ovaries are removed during spaying.

They are (or should be) removed during a spay

She's even been seen actually mating with an entire tom!

If this were the case (I personally have never heard of such a thing) I would be worried very worried indeed. As then the cat is far more likely to come into contact with FIV & FeLV

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »
Hippykitty - ovaries are supposed to be removed during a spay, I have heard very occasionally of vets only removing the womb, but that is only on the American forum - I personally wouldn't allow that to happen to any of mine, as it leaves the risks of ovarian cysts and cancer. I have never heard of a female cat allowing herself to be mated after being spayed, it is very interesting.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:43:46 AM »
Polly, my elderly ex-feral, spent the first 6years of her life being a kitten factory, and even though she was neutered at the rescue home from which I obtained her, she always, until very recently (geriatric!) cavorted with the local toms. She's even been seen actually mating with an entire tom!
My theory is, that having become used to the cycle of mating and kittening, she maintained the habit. Sometimes she came home with a smug grin on her face, as though saying: "I've done it now, mum, got kittens in my tum!"  I would humour her..... :Party 3:
Perhaps the fact that your cat seems to have been neutered late could be causing this. Is it a problem?
The only sinister cause I can think of is ovarian cysts. I'm not sure whether the ovaries are removed during spaying. I would have to check this.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 21:19:21 PM »
I would ask her to see if the vet will shave the cats side to see if there is a scar - unless they know the vet who may have done it, in which case there should be records.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 21:15:30 PM »
You are very welcome but I think she needs to consult the vet who did it or her vet.

Good luck

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 21:13:01 PM »
Oh thanks Gill, that's great - didn't realise I could search for old posts... :) I'll now have to break the news to my friend!

:thanks:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 20:59:56 PM »
Here is the link and I think you need all through it to understand

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=1771.0

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 20:57:30 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

We have this same question on another thread and it turns out that the spay was not complete.

Will see if I can find the thread and post the link here for you.

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
Mating behaviour in spayed cat?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 20:55:19 PM »
Hi, first I apologise that in one of my first posts on here I'm asking for help!  :shy:

My friend has recently (in the last couple of weeks) adopted a rescue cat who is 7 and (my friend was told) was spayed when she was a baby. She is now displaying 'signs of mating behaviour', according to the vet and my friend says this consists of rubbing her head lots with her paws, rolling on her back, and calling at night. She's asked me if this will stop soon but none of mine have ever done this excessively as a problem - my soppy cats do roll over etc, and my 2 did cry at night when we got them but only cos we shut the bedroom door, as soon as we let them in they stopped!!

I thought most cats did half these things anyway when they were happy - mine certainly did and do!  Does anyone have any thoughts? I thought maybe once she settles in she'll feel better and will stop calling? If it is mating behaviour is there anything that can be done?

Loving the pusscat smilies!!  ;D

Link to CatChat