Author Topic: 1/2 dose or miss a day?  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: 1/2 dose or miss a day?
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 23:47:18 PM »
Thanks  :scared:

If it was willow It wouldn't be so bad as she is feisty but clapton looks at you as if to say "why are you doing this to me daddy" and it breaks my heart  :'(  - it sounds silly but he is so adorable and had such a rough life that I hate to see him upset. Anyway it's for the best.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 21:01:32 PM »
That is interesting - I have personally never had a home visit done, I would maybe consider it for that final visit, but haven't done yet due to circumstances. Fingers crossed for next week though, hope it isn't too bad for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »
I too hope it isn't too stressful for Clapton.

Tbh, I think Jaffa would actually be worse in his home environment.  Because it's his territory I think he'd feel more threatened by a stranger coming in and doing something nasty to him than he would going to the vet.  And when the vet was gone I think he'd continue to feel uneasy in his home. 

We only have limited experience but Blip hates the journey to the vet too, so when she had three teeth removed, I got the nurse to come round to do the follow-up check. But I accept that a quick check-up is not at all the same as something more invasive. I guess it's horses for courses as far as home vists are concerned.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »
Tbh, I think Jaffa would actually be worse in his home environment.  Because it's his territory I think he'd feel more threatened by a stranger coming in and doing something nasty to him than he would going to the vet.  And when the vet was gone I think he'd continue to feel uneasy in his home. 

Fingers crossed the visit isn't too stressful for Clapton.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 08:59:16 AM »
I asked about home visits and he said he doesn't do them. He said cats are often more aggressive in their own environment and will bite & scratch.

Although my vet does do home visits as indeed do the nurses. I know what he is saying, often I have take a very aggressive cat to the vets , you know the type 'they who must be obeyed' I warn the vets and then when the little one is taken out of the carry cage is it as gentle as a lamb. Others who are usually very placid act up though.

My Badger is the most docile dog you could wish to meet. he never growls/barks (except when he has a chew in his mouth and comes to greet you. Yet when Eric (vet) comes to the house Badger growls and tries to hid behind the sofa.

I think a home visit is nice sometimes when you have to make the decision for the final act of kindness, especially if the vet was late with his appointments and you had to sit in the waiting from for what would seem a lifetime.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 19:26:47 PM »
Went to get Clapton's repeat prescription today and the vet was at the reception desk. I asked about home visits and he said he doesn't do them. He said cats are often more aggresive in their own environment and will bite & scratch. So Clappy is booked in a week today. The vet said he will be gentle  :ahh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 14:29:17 PM »
I guess bloods have to be done in a sterile enviroment (my house is clean  ;D ) and the blood has to be tested shortly after beng taken so could be a problem.  will ask - I'm sure they get a lot of requests. This just reminded me that one of my friends used to be a messenger for a pathologists in Harley St and he often used to keep biopsies etc in his mums fridge overnight  :sick:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 08:12:13 AM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 13:13:12 PM »
He probably would for a fee Christine, but not everything can be done on a home visit.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 08:32:41 AM »
I can't imagine my vet is the kind who will do a home visit

I bet he would, for a fee - he's in business, after all!  :evillaugh:  Seriously, I'd ask the question.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 22:03:40 PM »
It's really frustrating. I can't imagine my vet is the kind who will do a home visit but my old vet is next door and animal-wise, they are great but I had a big fall-out with them over barking dogs which is probably going to court so not a good idea to ask them  ;) although during our last meeting a couple of weeks ago, he did say that he will help any of my cats if they need it and the noise issue shouldn't affect them - it would be too embarrasing though  :-[ (I made the receptionist cry apparently  :evillaugh: )

)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 22:07:03 PM by Mark »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 21:38:05 PM »
A urine sample will only show part of what the vet needs to know about kidney issues. As Ela says, bloods are probably the only way they will know how the meds are working - it is important, as it could show he needs a higher or lower dose, and also as Ela says, it is a prescription med, so the vet has to have certain things to be able to continue to prescribe. I dont know how feasible it is to do bloods from a home visit, it might be tricky being able to get the cat at the right height, and depending on how close to the vets you are, whether storage and transportation is an issue.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 17:54:59 PM »
on the phone or in person for a good chat

I don't think that is an option, for a pet to receive a  POM medications it is necessary to be seen by a vet and for certain medications the taking of bloods is the only way a vet will know how well a pet is responding.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 16:58:34 PM »
Is it feasible to have the samples taken on a home visit, I wonder? If so, might this be an option for Clapton, Mark?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 16:46:57 PM »
Have you got a great vet that you really trust, Mark? Stress is not good (white coat syndrome can really alter some blood numbers too). Can you explain and ask if they are really necessary at present - assuming you can get the vet on the phone or in person for a good chat.  Just a thought but could a urine sample tell the vet anything? I would ask if the treatment would be altered by the blood results or if it would continue with what you are already doing.
Horrible decision for you given that he gets so stressed out. Does it help at all if you go at a quieter time? (no dogs...)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 15:25:56 PM »
Thanks - I guess i'll just have to be cruel to be kind. Fills me with dread as he gets so scared, he plays dead in the vets and whines like a baby - also the look in his eyes does me in  :'(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:03:22 AM »
I agree a blood test is possible the best thing. The vet will need to do bloods every so often to enable the perscription for Fortekor to continue. (even those who buy on-line will need a vet check for POM medicines. Some POMs need a 3 month check others longer.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 07:58:16 AM »
I personally would do the blood tests Mark, the vet will want them done to check if the Fortekor is working, and if there is anything else that needs keeping under control. You could explain to the vet how he reacts and see if there is another way they can do it for you though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 23:10:50 PM »
Hmmn, my situation is a bit different as Tiggy is so relaxed about going to the vets.  The danger there is that another 3 months down the line you find something out that you could have been treating 3 months earlier had you had the test.  I think if you ring your vet and explain that Clapton is doing really well and you don't want to stress him out unnecessarily and ask what he/she thinks as they are the experts and know his individual history. 

Saying that my vet is of the thinking that you 'treat the cat, not the numbers' so if Clapton is doing great and he has bloods done with 'bad' results then you will probably not change anything in his regime as he is doing so well, on the other hand if the results are fantastic but Clapton was feeling poorly then he'd be treated regardless of what the numbers 'said'. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 23:00:42 PM »
I will be brave and ask.

I wanted to ask you something else. When he was diagnosed, he was ver poorly but it was probably a combination of his mouth problems and the CRF. The vet said he should have bloods done again in 3 months which is about now. Clapton is a new cat now - he is't as playful as he used to be but he is eating well and affectionate and his mouth is better. Should I have his bloods done again? He gets so upset going to the vet and scratches the shaved area til it bleeds for weeks afterwards. He isn't eating prescrition food but he is eating senior. Is it a case of being cruel to be kind to have then done again in case his readings are worse? (I haven't been adding binders) Any of the others, I wouldn't think twice but he hides behind the sofa for a week after a vet trip  :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 22:33:25 PM »
I was too embarrassed to ask and paid full price for Tiggy's other tablets for 2 1/2 years (£43 at the vets £22 at vetuk!), when the Fortekor was prescribed I got those from the vets for a few months then I plucked up the courage to ask for a prescription.  My vet was absolutely fine about it and each time I go now asks if I need another prescription yet.

I asked him whether they were losing a lot of money to the online pharmacies but he said that most of the patients that are on long term meds are insured and the insurance company pay the vets bill so not only do the insured owners not care how much the tablets are but it's in their interest to get it from the vets as the insurance company will only usually pay bills direct from the vet and not some random company on the internet.  Go on, double dare you - ask!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 22:45:16 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 22:25:24 PM »
Thanks Helen, I should have realised they were low - I have a bad habit of using both sections and before I know it, they are both empty!

I wanted to ask the vet for a prescription but worried about getting on the wrong side. I guess this medication is ongoing to I will have to bite the bullet and ask (I'm a weed)

PS - Hope Tiggy is feeling better

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 22:10:50 PM »
Good idea about halving the dose, I wouldn't have thought of that!  I think 2 half doses is better than one missed dose... 

You say that you have to order (I guess we're talking about the Fortekor) it and it takes a day to come in, that's the same at my vets but they do actually have a stash as I was given a box on the day Tiggy was diagnosed.  If you go in I'm sure they'd be able to sort some out for you.  Also, are you aware you can buy them online?  You need to ask the vet for a prescription, by law they must provide one and cannot charge for it, I get mine from vetuk - 28 for £10.64

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
1/2 dose or miss a day?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 21:38:55 PM »
I meant to order a repeat prescription of fortekor for Clapton today but forgot as I was busy. It takes a day to come in and I only have one tablet left. I have given him 1/2 so he has 1/2 for tomorrow. Have I done the right thing or should I have given him all of it and miss a day tomorrow?

Any idea anyone?

Thanks

Link to CatChat