Author Topic: Claws?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Claws?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 17:45:27 PM »
I clip the very tips of my lot or when they paddle on my lap i end looking like a pin cushion!

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 17:37:55 PM »
I only clip my pusscats' claws because they're indoor cats - I probably wouldn't need to if they went out and scratched outside - my cats who still live at my mum's don't generally need it, although they've started to now they're getting old and aren't going out so much...

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 16:51:46 PM »
My cats all go outside and I don't bother to trim their claws as they are pretty good at just using the 2 cat trees or somewhere outside rather than carpet or furniture.  Although when Maddy is kneading my lap I sometimes consider cutting them  :shify: I asked the vet what she thought last time they were in and she said that they were fine as they were.  I often find the claw sheaths around which worried me until I realised what they were  :wow:

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 22:46:19 PM »
I opened the page on the surgery and couldn't get further than a the first pic. It's horrific. I just think that if you have a cat, you accept it for what it is. That goes for any animal. Or even a baby. I don't like babies crying but I'm hardly going to maim them to stop it from happening. Okay, extreme analogy but I just don't get it.

My rescued cat has shredded the leather sofa, not cheap either :) but that's what I expected. The be fair I expected far more damage than I've had. It goes with the territory.  I don't see any argument for taking away something so fundamental to a cat for the sake of maintaining one's lifestyle. Just don't get a cat! It's like those horrible people that disfigure animals to make them look better for shows. Grrrr

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 22:39:22 PM »
This is mainly an American practise. They don't understand what is wrong with it.

It's not carried out in this country, thankfully, most vets consider it barbaric.

Basically, when removing a cat's claws, you're removing its fingers, not nails. But some people value their immaculate furnishings more than the living being in their care.

If you want more information about the practise, try this site, but BEWARE, it contains some disturbing images and information.
http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 21:49:33 PM »
absolutely!! can't understand why a supposed cat-lover (and you should be if you have a cat, surely?!) would even contemplate doing that to their cat - it's just purely selfish! do a lot of places still do it?

Declawing....Grrr..rrrrH!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 21:35:07 PM »
Declawing....Grrr..rrrrH!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 19:30:59 PM »
Well it seems to have healed and now he's broken another one :) I'm sure once he's been out enough all his claws will be used to it and okay.

Offline ClaireH

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 19:22:57 PM »
oh I just looked at the part of that site on declawing and wish I hadn't! I knew declawing was barbaric but the site goes into a LOT of detail. Anyone thinking declawing is a good idea should read that site...  :'(

Just to add, I've always used human toenail clippers on my cats - it's fine (and less hassle of going to the vet every time!  ;)) if you just take off the very end - you should be able to see the pink bit to avoid anyway though.  :hi:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 03:50:09 AM »
http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm

I quickly googled "trimming cats claws" and came up with some useful sites. This link has the best picture of the claw as it really looks.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 03:44:16 AM »
Please look at pics in good cat book or online concerning how cats' claws should be cut. I find it better to use claw clippers, but you need cooperative cats for this. Good idea to get puss used to the idea by gently stroking pads while cat is relaxed on your lap.

I think you might be seeing the claw shedding. This is normal. Unless it's bleeding or smells bad, it's prob nothing to worry about.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 13:56:05 PM »
Claws do break like fingernails as long as it's not bleeding I wouldn't worry about it.

With regards to trimming even though my lot go out they all get the very sharpe needle ends of their claws trimmed I'm afraid.  Just use a pair of nail clippers and take the very tips off ... this should help your sofa  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »
Oh, and his claws are very long! I asked the vet about this last week and whether I should trim them and she said that as he's going to be outside there's no need. (My sofa would disagree) :)

Offline schuey100

• Adult Cat
    • Homepage
Claws?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »
Hi al

Henry's started going out and is having fun with the cat next door! They wail at each other and hiss a lot  (well, actually Henry doesn't, he just sits there trying to make friends)

Anyway, I heard a big noise earlier and I think they were having a little bit of a fight. Neither look as if they're injured.

There's a little bit of fur in his claws but nothing major like an eyeball!

I was just checking him out and it looks like one of his claws has broken off, or at least is a bit raw looking. No flowing blood but it's red and shorter than all the others. He's licking it a bit too. It looked a bit frayed yesterday but not red like it does today.

I'm probably worrying about nothing but I just wanted to check that claws do break and it's not serious! I probably sound like a new dad worrying endlessly about a little baby :)

Link to CatChat