Author Topic: HELP! Stubborn worms - yuk!!!  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: HELP! Stubborn worms - yuk!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 18:25:09 PM »
She's gorgeous! yep I could never put up with a highly strung cat hence my love of NFCs lol. Bilbo thinks she is gorgeous and would like her to join his harem of girls lol.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 18:18:19 PM »
The gorgeous Poppy is red silver tabby & white, from Belleneige in Grimsby. She's 8 months old now, and an absolute sweetheart. If I didn't have her calming influence, there's no way I could cope with the crazy Monkey (half Siamese, half dark handsome stranger...).

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 18:23:57 PM by littleKitten »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 18:12:09 PM »
Worm every 4 weeks with Milbemax or Drontal (you can buy this cheaper online). I would spray the house and then make sure you flea regularly as tapeworm is normally caused by consuming fleas when grooming.

Boo to the vet who gave you panacur for tapeworm!

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 18:09:18 PM »
Btw... NFCs rule! (Although Monkey isn't one... but Poppy is!)

Yep they certainly do!  ;D What colour is Poppy? Where's she from?

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 18:07:27 PM »
Thanks for your support! I prefer Milbemax myself, the reason Monkey got Panacur was that I sent my partner to the vets instead of going myself... with instructions to get Milbemax. But I decided to use the Panacur since that's what he came back with - and I didn't know at the time it doesn't work on common tapeworms.

Btw... NFCs rule! (Although Monkey isn't one... but Poppy is!)

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 17:59:30 PM »
Try Milbemax from the vet. You only need to give it once (rather than for 3 days like Panacur) and it's a small tablet so not too much effort to get them to swallow it. Obviously talk to your vet about it but I'd worm him every 4 weeks for the next 3-4 months or so with Milbemax to try to get rid of the worm problem.

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
HELP! Stubborn worms - yuk!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 17:50:30 PM »
Help! I am going crazy... I just can't seem to get my cat worm free!

My little Monkey is 4.5 months now, and when he came to me at just under 10 weeks, I immediately discovered he had worms. He had already been wormed at about 8 weeks, but clearly that wasn't quite enough, since I kept finding segments of tapeworm... YUK! I explained the problem to the vet, who prescribed Panacur. After two 3-day courses of Panacur (and forcing it down him was NOT easy), there still was no change. When Monkey went for his 2nd vaccination I mentioned this to the vet (different vet), who told me that Panacur does not work on common tapeworms! Grrr. Well, 2nd vet prescribed Profender spot-on wormer to kill off the stubborn tapeworms, and for about 3 weeks I didn't see any segments etc. Yippee!!! But now they are back again, and even yukkier than ever... They sort of seem wetter than before, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I hate worms. I hate the thought of my little baby having worms. And I hate that I am starting to believe that I'll never get little Monkey worm free.

Please give some words of encouragement! I am heading to the vets again tomorrow... but I need some peace of mind before then, or I'll go crazy. Also, the vets have never seemed to take this problem very seriously on previous visits, so I need to be armed with some info.

Monkey doesn't go outside yet, and he's been flea-treated recently. Is it really not going to be possible to kill of this infestation? I know I'll have to keep treating him regularly, and that he could pick up worms on and off in the future, but at the moment I don't even seem to be able to kill of the ones he had to begin with. And as he's only young, and not a very sturdy cat at that, it concerns me a bit. And I am becoming worm-obsessed. I keep lifting his tail up to check for worm segments, hoover like crazy where he's been sleeping, and worst of all: on two occasions, I have observed a sweetie worm sticking out of his poor little bottom like the tongue of a snake, feeling around a bit, and then breaking of a segment before hiding back inside. DISGUSTING OR WHAT!!!???

(I have never had a worm problem like this with previous cats, and my other cat at the moment has never displayed any symptoms at all.)

Link to CatChat