Author Topic: Pale nose and ears...  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Pale nose and ears...
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 08:46:24 AM »
There are different causes of anaemia so there will be different treatments -

I agree, my Badger for instance was anaemic because he had an internal bleed, once the spleen was removed the anemia soon righted itself. However, the cause must be found before the vet can take the right action.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 19:25:45 PM »
There are different causes of anaemia so there will be different treatments - possibly vitamin injection or a supplement.

Our vet wants to treat the Proot with a steroid initially (but can't at the moment as his liver enzyme is high due to another problem).

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 19:14:18 PM »
What can be done for anemia? Is it the same as people- iron supplement etc??

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 18:09:11 PM »
Think it's worth getting checked out - the Proot's nose and pads are very pale and he's anaemic, so it could be that.  He's also desperate for cuddles and lap, think because anaemia makes them feel cold.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 13:33:20 PM »
yeah I had noticed it with Zak if he's been asleep he's usually pale but then when he's been runnin about he's pink again

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 13:15:05 PM »
Just thought I'd add, that I notice that the colour of some of my light coloured cats noses, ears and gums (not sure about pads!) change from day to day - sometimes I look and they are pale, then the next time they are bright pink again - seems to change with temperatures and activity too, but I think if your cat's membranes stay pale it would be worth checking him out at the vets, don't be embarrassed about taking him - thats what our vets are there for  ;D and better safe than sorry.

You're right Gillian. Our boys' noses and ears are sometimes darker, sometimes paler. Not significantly so, but I notice it.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 12:50:15 PM »
Militant Millys nose/pads are normally quite pale, when i notice they are bright pink im normally in for a good smacking  :scared:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 12:44:55 PM »
Just thought I'd add, that I notice that the colour of some of my light coloured cats noses, ears and gums (not sure about pads!) change from day to day - sometimes I look and they are pale, then the next time they are bright pink again - seems to change with temperatures and activity too, but I think if your cat's membranes stay pale it would be worth checking him out at the vets, don't be embarrassed about taking him - thats what our vets are there for  ;D and better safe than sorry.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 11:09:58 AM »
TBH Ela I think the cat feeder is allowed to comment on the condition of a cat without whisking him off to the emergency weekend vet!

I appreciate what you say , I was going to add perhaps at least phone you first, but clicked and just left it. Hopefully this time it is nothing but as I say occasionally a pet cannot afford to wait. Over the years while I have been away so many times my pets have needed to go to the vets and had they not been taken they would have not been here when I got back sadly sometimes they weren't.** I appreciate  not in this case this time but it does happen. Obviously I can only comment from my own experiences.

** This reminds me of  Suki I had in many years ago, she seemed so well when I left for my holiday in Cornwall. Whenever I go away I always think of all my pets once a day and imagine where they will be at that time. For the first 4 days when I got to Suki saw her  in her heated bed. On the Tuesday when I got to Suki I saw her but i could not see her face as a Vail seemed to be over it. That happened every day for the next for the next 12 days. On the day before we were due to come home we were walking round St Ives and the phone rang, I answered it and it was Sheena the cat carer, she said Elaine, I said stop I know what you are going to tell me, Suki has been PTS. she said yes a week last Tuesday I noticed she was not to well and when I get her to the vet they found she had numerous tumours. and there was no choice but to let her go.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 14:44:29 PM by Ela »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 10:48:15 AM »
If he is clingy its probably cos he missed you when you were away and is trying to make sure you dont leave him again

saffron

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
have you noticed that his nose,ears & pads are pale ? He could be anaemic or maybe he just missed his mommy so much when you went away. How is he today?
 nearly cross posted but good luck at the vets

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »
Thanks Desley, I have rung the vet and they said that his bloods in October were fine but to bring him in if I want too which I will.

Before I had these too I had an elderly female cat who never ever needed the vets until a rapid decline in health over about two days that resulted in her being PTS. However, my two now are always at the vets with various issues to the point that I almost find it embarrasing to go! Anyway, they are worth it!

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
TBH Ela I think the cat feeder is allowed to comment on the condition of a cat without whisking him off to the emergency weekend vet! Thanks anyway

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 10:30:23 AM »
I Would guess at anaemia - you could always ring your vet first and get their advice as to if they want to see him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »
Will go to vets then- would that make him feel unwell though?

Cats and dogs are very good at hiding illness, even my Badger who the vet said would have been dead within the hour had we not taken him to the vets showed no sign of illness until it was almost too late. I too suggest a visit to the vet ASAP.

I would also suggest that if you leave you pets in someone elses care again they take them to the vets as soon as they notice something not quite right rather than wait until your return.

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 10:09:14 AM »
Will go to vets then- would that make him feel unwell though? Trying to think why he might be so clingy?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:59:45 AM »
Definately sounds like anaemia to me, although clapton was anaemic with his kidney problems until he started on meds so definately one for the vet.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
Pale nose and ears...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 09:35:52 AM »
We have just come back from a few days away and our cat feeder has commented that one of our boys has a pale looking nose and ears (compared with normal) and also that his mouth and pads are a bit light too. She asked if I had had bloods done recently (We did about 5 months ago and ok) but I wondered what this paleness is supposed to be indicative of? He eats fine and doesn't drink excessively but he is very very needy and attention seeking!

I am happy to go to the vets but with two elderly cats with constant health problems I do feel I am there all the time and would like to get an idea of why I am going again before I go!

Link to CatChat