Author Topic: Poor Dillon at vets (again)  (Read 12151 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Poor Dillon at vets (again)
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 19:58:35 PM »
Sending lots of positive vibes Dillons way, try not to worry too much.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 19:44:16 PM »
Poor little Dillon. I'll have everything crossed for the brave little soul tomorrow. He's such a fighter, he'll be less upset than you are  :hug:

It'll be OK, hun - keep us posted.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 19:37:25 PM »
 :scared: :(  As I suspected yesterday, Dillon has somehow managed to undo the internal repair to his leg so will be undergoing another anaesthetic and x-rays tomorrow morning to determin the next course of action.  So my brave little boy is spending another night at the vets and I'll spend another day worrying myself stupid (and no doubt stuffing my face with chocolate...)

The vet has said this is "uncharted territory" for him, so my baby is now playing guinea pig.  I have every faith in my vet, but wish he was in a position to state probable outcome.

Anyway, it's great knowing that best wishes are winging their way to Dillon.   :thanks: Thank you for all your support

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 22:59:44 PM »
Poor Dillon, I agree with Desley.

Its very hard for a cat with a badly injured leg and Desley has a lot of experience with a cat whose leg was very painful for ages. I think a close eye needs to be kept on Dillon by you cos you know him the best and can tell how he is reacting compared to normal.

As Desley knows there sometimes comes to a time when the vet has to be told that none stop pain is not acceptable to the quality of life.........I not talking pts here you understand.

I really hope that Dillon heals up well on the inside too and that he becomes pain free very soon. Cats do heal so much better than us slaves.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 13:10:48 PM »
I too would have a quick chat with the vet, he can tell you if it is normal for this time in his recovery.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 11:31:27 AM »
Well yesterday was Dillon's first day without the Metacam painkiller, and he wasn't too happy  I suppose it's early days yet.

I think so and it must still be healing - and painful for the little chap. Why not ring your vet and discuss your observations? Meanwhile, hugs to brave Dillon.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
Well yesterday was Dillon's first day without the Metacam painkiller, and he wasn't too happy  (a dose every other day now).  Let him out of his cage this am. just for a few minutes and he appears to be using the leg less now than a few days ago, although maybe the drugs hadn't kicked in.  On the outside he's healing up very nicely, and even where he's removed a couple of staples himself the skin is holding together well, but I am anxious that he is reluctant to bare any weight on the poorly leg :( .  He still managed to jump up onto the sofa though but looked very unstable kneeding my dressing gown with front paws whilst balancing on one back one !  I suppose it's early days yet.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 11:47:42 AM »
Aww, I am glad he seems to be doing well, and fingers crossed he proves the vet wrong - you will have to watch his weight for the rest of his life though, if that leg wont be as strong, to make sure it doesn't cause any issues later in life.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2007, 20:12:30 PM »
Oh bless him, I can see why you call him your 'chicken leg' boy now!  Glad to hear he's coming along OK, please keep us posted with his progress  ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 15:59:53 PM »
Bless Dillon's heart  :hug: He sounds to be making excellent progress and he was obviously at the front of the queue when they were handing out fighting spirit, wasn't he?

Sounding good, keep us posted...

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 15:50:50 PM »
 ;D ;D Dillon had his check-up with the vet this am. and when the vet put him on the floor to evaluate how he was moving he tried jumping up onto the counter!  Vet had to catch him in mid air so he didn't damage leg when he landed.  Don't know who was more shocked - me, the vet or Dillon :wow:, but needless to say all the signs are very positive - vet said any worse injury and it would have been an amputation job, so to be attempting a jump 3 days after surgery is wonderful, if a little foolish. (although he'd had the painkillers about 90 mins earlier so they would have been in full effect)   Hopefully the staples can come out next weekend.

Next trial is to explain to him why his food has got to be decreased while he's in the cage & not exercising - already over 6.5Kg, (big cat, not fat!), otherwise I'd have a Garfield on my hands by the end of the month.

Only problem Dillon has is a bit of constipation, - vet prescribed lactulose, but said the dosage can be a bit hit and miss, so not looking forward to the litter tray tomorrow

Digby his brother is still skirting round the living room as far from crate as possible, but vet said Dillon is probably giving off cat signals that say "touch me, I'll rip your head off".

Anyway, early days yet - Dillon is definately on a Metacam induced roller-coaster, good for a few hours after taking it, but sorry for himself by evening.  Will keep you all posted.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 15:06:23 PM »
What a brave and handsome boy  ;D

He certainly is! How is Dillon today, Liz?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 21:42:19 PM »
What a brave and handsome boy  ;D

Concerning the litter, I think it will be a while before he can do it cos he probably is having a problem with that leg when it comes to doing litter.

Ducha my 3 legged cat tries so hard to cover up but he just cant get the right place.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 20:11:51 PM »
Here's a photo of Dillon feeling sorry for himself,  and still not got the hang of keeping the litter in the tray yet

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 20:14:42 PM by lizfraser »

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 16:31:58 PM »
BIG HEAD KISSES TO DILLON AGAN TODAY FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY LOVE FROM ME AND ALL MY BABIES

XXXXXXXXXXXX

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 15:26:17 PM »
What a brave boy and so pleased he managed to get home so he could be helped. He sounds so wonderful  :ahh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 13:24:22 PM »
Hope he get better quickly and gets lots of fuss & treats on the way!  :ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 12:24:27 PM »
What a brave boy, Tiggy sends a healing head kiss to him  :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 11:16:26 AM »
I think it's only just sunk in with me quite how seriously hurt he was - at the time I had my 2 daughters crying their eyes out and the trauma of trying to get him in the cat carrier without hurting him any more.  Don't actually remember the drive to the vets as I was in shock at seeing his twisted mangled body and how bravely he dragged himelf along using just his front legs.

It's as well the human brain sort of switches to autopilot in these circumstances and the full magnitude of things hits us afterwards. And it brings tears to my eyes to think of little Dillon's courage and determination.

Keep us posted on his progress - I'm think you'll be able to use the painkillers to get him through the worst of it, won't you?

Give him a gentle ear-tug from me.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 11:06:34 AM »
He seems more settled today and has realised that if he moves too much it hurts.  He's being a really good boy and taking his pain killer (put on food) and his Synolux tablets quite happily.  He did manage to displace one of the staples last night with over-enthusiastic licking, and leg bled a little, but looks fine this am.  Back to vets for check-up tomorrow anyway and will get a Buster collar just in case.

I think it's only just sunk in with me quite how seriously hurt he was - at the time I had my 2 daughters crying their eyes out and the trauma of trying to get him in the cat carrier without hurting him any more.  Don't actually remember the drive to the vets as I was in shock at seeing his twisted mangled body and how bravely he dragged himelf along using just his front legs.

Touch wood he can come off the pain killers soon as vet explained that prolonged use is not good for their kidneys, trouble is that he's so used to being active he will go stir crazy caged once he begins to recover.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
How is the little patient today, Liz?

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 15:46:32 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D Hurray ! Dillon came home this afternoon & is safely in his crate.  Vet has said the injury was so severe that he will never make a full recovery - basically the thigh and shin bone had more or less completely separated as he'd ruptured all the soft tissue,  but I'm more than happy to have a house cat and will not miss the mouse and bird pressies I've always been given.  He is obviously in a lot of pain, but desperately trying to give "head kisses" through the bars.  He's got such a loving nature & won't take his eyes off my eldest daughter.  His brother Digby has not been in to torment him yet, so I'll be keeping a close eye on that.

It's probably going to be a 3 - 4 month recovery, and I'll post a photo of my little "chicken leg" boy when I get a chance.

Anyway, thanks all for your kind thoughts & words, & I'll go and nurse my credit card back to health & check out the best pet insurance policies for future use.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 08:09:40 AM »
Aww, fingers crossed the recovery time isn't too bad for you all.
Please spay your cat

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 00:40:54 AM »
Liz, i`m pleased to hear his operation went well. My cat had to have this done about 3 years ago and he is fine now. I would say the main things are the cage rest and making sure he doesn`t bother the wound in case an infection starts which could complicate things. The amount of time your vet has recommended Dillon stays in the crate is the same as i was told. It`s the action of jumping up that will cause problems with his recovery.

Have you got a crate already?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 20:21:19 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

So pleased the op has gone well and hope he recovers very quickly.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 19:40:39 PM »
Dillon has come through the operation ok, and we can hopefully bring him home tomorrow 

Excellent news and I'm sure someone more useful than me will be able to advise you what to expect in terms of recovery times etc...

His brother (what's his name, by the way?) might be a bit perturbed by Dillon's scent when he first comes home - you probably know this already.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 19:15:53 PM »
Thanks for all your good wishes.  Well Dillon has come through the operation ok, and we can hopefully bring him home tomorrow   ;D - his brother is wandering around the house wondering where his playmate is - but hiding when he sees me 'cos he obviously spotted the cat carrier yesterday! 

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 19:01:34 PM »
Hi Liz and welcome,

Sorry about Dillon - hope he makes a quick and complete recovery.

:welcome:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 16:11:09 PM »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 15:36:00 PM »
Poor Dillon - I do hope that the surgery is completely successful and that he recovers very quickly.  I have no experience of this myself, but I am sure others will have - lots of people come here in the evenings, so do check back.  The little chap is certainly going through the wars at the moment, isn't he?

:welcome: to Purrs, by the way.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 15:06:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about poor Dillon........

Hope he gets well soon poor darling... hugs and kisses from me and head kisses from my crew

GET WELL SOON DILLON :catluv:

XXXXXXXXX

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
Poor Dillon at vets (again)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 14:53:11 PM »
My 9 yr old cat is under the knife having cruciate ligament surgery to repair an extremely bad rupture.  Any members got experience of recovery for this op?  Vet has said at least a month in a crate for him.....  We don't know how it happened, but thank God he managed to drag himself home.  Poor thing has only just started going out again having had air-gun pellet removed last Nov.  Nine lives going too quickly, :-:

Link to CatChat