Author Topic: Poor Dillon at vets (again)  (Read 12156 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Poor Dillon at vets (again)
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2007, 11:35:09 AM »
Excellent news

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2007, 11:14:39 AM »
Aww, I do hope that things continue to improve now for him, bless him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2007, 00:47:42 AM »
I am so pleased for Dillon and hope that he continues to improve.........little things are so special  ;D

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2007, 22:02:22 PM »
Oh bless his heart. Im so pleased he managed to have a dignified pee himself woohoooooooooooooooo clever baby

What a lovely bonus though having to miss the outlaws  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

keep on the mend little man

xxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2007, 18:41:35 PM »
Brilliant news about Dillon, Liz, you must be so relieved.

And what an excellent side-effect, missing the old outlaws  :evillaugh:

:hug: to Dillon and you
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2007, 18:36:25 PM »
Woohoo.....Dillon came home late this afternoon, and he did a wee within 5 minutes of being back here.  Phoned vets to let them know, and apparently the vet jumped for joy!  Small things I know, but he had not "been" since cathiter was removed yesterday morning so it was looking like another anaesthetic and re-cathiterization tomorrow.  Have bought him a mega-sized litter tray, so perhaps that helped as he can get his poorly leg comfy.  He's obviously very doped up - metacam, valium and synolux, so is having a good sleep now.  He's also been treated to re-carpetting of his cage with vet-bed so he's all snuggley.

I get to stay at home and look after him tomorrow (instead of Sunday lunch at the Outlaws....) so it's all good......
 :heeee heeee:

Stitches out on Monday, so fingers crossed we can move forward now.  It's been a very stressful couple of weeks, and I swear I've got a few more grey hairs appear.  As long as my boy is ok, that's what matters though. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 10:49:37 AM »
Thrilled to hear that Dillon is on the mend.

Liz I love that soap box of yours :)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
Liz thats fantastic positive news I'm so pleased for you. both you and Dillon deserve to have the courage of the month award.... what a brave little soldier.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

I back you up 100% as far as some SO CALLED FRIENDS are concerned. I always have got the same response when my friends find out how much a year I spend in vets bills. They are all my babies and would spend my last penny on them just like you. I wouldn't buy some of my so called friends a prescription from the doctors

look forward to hearing about him coming home Monday and having the bet birthday party at home with Mummy and family

kisses Dillon and head kisses from my babies

xxxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
I'm really pleased to hear that Dillon's on the mend. What a trooper he is!

others spend much much more just to lie on a beach for a couple of weeks. 

You are right, people have weird priorities  :(...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
I am glad he is doing well, and fingers crossed he will just continue to improve now.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2007, 23:59:19 PM »
Yes I think you are right about the friends bit and the costs.

I am so pleased that Dillon is now doing so well and as the leg gets less painful I am sure he will strt using the tray agin.

Digging up soil LOL, they care and thats what matters  :hug: :hug:

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Arthur and Dottie Dillon (Feb 1998 - 18/12/12 RIP),Tom (RIP 12/11/12), Digby (Feb 1998-17/11/10 RIP)
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 22:21:44 PM »
Dillon seems to be on the mend so they are going to take cathiter out tomorrow am. and monitor for 24 hrs, so he may be coming home Saturday.  Apparently they've been out and dug some soil up to entice him to use the litter tray, but obviously it will be harder to detect if his bladder is back to normal without constant watching - guess that may be a job for the kids on Saturday! 

By all accounts he's fairly cheerful and is eating properly again.  They're going to discharge him with some vallium (can I have some too....) so that he gets less stressed about using the tray.  They seem very pleased with the progress he is making with his leg too and are planning on taking stitches out on Monday  My brave little boy.  My daughter has reminded me that with all this fuss I've missed Dillon and Digby's birthday (they were 9 on Valentines's day) so I'll have some extra grovelling to do when he comes home.  Nothing a few treats and cuddles can't sort out though.

Most of my friends (although I have to question that title now) think I'm mad, as this round of vets bills has been over £1600, but my pets are members of my family and I'd do everything in my power to enable as full a life as possible.  Grrrr...... some people just don't understand do they.  Car repairs can cost people thousands, and I bet they never get questioned as to whether it's worth it, others spend much much more just to lie on a beach for a couple of weeks.  I've had (so far) 9 years x 52 weeks of unquestioning love from my fur babies, how could I not repay that when they need me most?...I think I'm the one with the right priorities....

Now I'll get off my soap box and say Thanks again for all your best wishes, I'm sure the positive healing thoughts are keeping Dillon's spirits up, as they are mine.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2007, 18:43:08 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to Dillon

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2007, 15:45:50 PM »
How is Dillon today?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2007, 23:48:16 PM »
Poor Dillon, hope they can sort him out at the vets this time and he comes home for good on Monday!  Healing head kiss from Tiggy coming his way  :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2007, 21:52:28 PM »
Brave little Dillon. Sending healing thoughts to him tonight...

:Luv:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2007, 21:26:13 PM »
My heart goes out to both of you poor little man  :( :( :( :( :( :(  Hope they get to the bottom of it and can keep him sedated enough to keep him pain free. Its probably because of his leg hurting that he is reluctant to use the tray  :hug:  :hug:  Tom was the same for 2 days

Please give him a kiss from me when you see him and head kisses from all of my fur babies

get well vibes to him from us all and

Thomas asked me to tell you Dillon knows he is only there with the green jacket people to help him get better and if it wasnt for you being such a lovely Mummy he would still have a full bladder.......and asked me to send you a head kiss from him

xxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 22:50:41 PM by smudgepickles »

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2007, 21:18:26 PM »
Me again ! Been to visit Dillon this evening, and he has cheered up considerably since yesterday - does not look comfortable with the curly cathiter sellotaped to his tail though.  Good news is that whilst I was there he did eat a little food.  He will be staying at vets until at least Monday (48 hrs with the cathiter in place, then 48 hrs monitoring once it is removed).  Apparently a bladder infection was just starting so he's had antibiotics for that,  Still no wiser as to why the bladder had filled up so much - no crystals in urine, and no blockage - could just be too painful to squat, or he could just be objecting to using the litter tray - he has been known not to poo for a fortnight when I've left him in a cattery for annual holiday!

OH and my eldest daughter will be visiting him tomorrow so hopefully they will have some good news.

On a positive note he seems to be putting a little weight onto the poorly leg, although it's already looking very thin from muscle loss due to no exercise.  At least by the time he comes home the leg should be more stable.  The nurses have commented on what a well behaved & good natured cat he is, as if he knows they are trying to help him.

Keeping everything crossed (as is Dillon !) that this will be the last saga in this story and I can bring him home soon & start the long road to recovery on his rear leg.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 18:29:36 PM »
Poor Dillon, I feel so sorry for both of you. Has the vet said what the recovery time will be from the original op and whether he will have a painfree time after?

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2007, 14:12:35 PM »
Just spoke to vets again - Dillon had to have yet another anaesthetic (4th since November, 3rd one in last 2 wks) and has been cathiterised, with a drip bag to collect the urine - apparently it's strapped to his tail and he's not too amused about it.  I'll be going to visit him this evening once he's properly come round from the sedation, as the vets hope it will cheer him up enough to get him to eat.   :waiting:

Bless him, I wish I could do more and wish there was a real life Dr Doolittle who could explain to him why Mummy had abandoned him to the mercy of the men and women in green coats so often recently. :(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2007, 10:33:59 AM »
Poor Dillon  :'( my heart goes out to him.  Please let us know what the vet says later...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2007, 08:02:08 AM »
Aww, poor Dillon, he certainly does seem to be having a rough time of things. Fingers crossed this latest incident is nothing too serious, and you can start to get him back on the road to recovery.
Please spay your cat

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2007, 07:09:27 AM »
Poor old Dillon is back at the vets again..  :'(  He just wasn't right yesterday, and did not eat much, so did not get his painkillers (mixed in with food).  During the afternoon he seemed to lose bladder control and was "leaking" onto his bedding.  He was very distressed trying to lick himself clean.  Anyway, he's back in the vets now, they said his bladder was completely full, so they are not sure if it's a blockage, or if his leg is just too painful for him to use litter tray so he's just trying to "not go".  Hopefully he'll be better this morning, otherwise it's another sedation so he can be cathiterised (sp?).  Poor lad did look very sorry for himself.  He even didn't make a fuss when I put him in the cat carrier - just let me pick him up on his blanket - absoluitely unheard of.

Fingers crossed this can be sorted without any more invasive procedures. :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 00:09:04 AM »
So pleased he is back home, Tiggy sends a healing head kiss his way  :Luv:

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 22:41:42 PM »
Awww thats fantastic news. I bet he feels like a million dollars being home with Mummy again....big head kisses from my babies for a speedy recovery and I hope you have a lovely nights sleep knowing he is at home with you

Get well you handsome chap

xxxxxxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 20:08:39 PM »
Glad the little fella's home again  :hug: and wishing him the speediest recovery now.

:Luv:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 18:45:21 PM »
So pleased Dillon is back home and that he still loves you  ;D ;D

I do hope that he heals this time and then he will not be in so much pain. Big purrs from Sasa and Misa  ;D

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 18:42:39 PM »
 :cheer: Dillon came home from vet today - and boy did he tell me off in the car for leaving him there since Wednesday!  He seems ok, and has settled down in his cage once the initial round of head hugs was over. Purring so loud he could be heard at the other end of the phone - and I was 3ft or so away from him.  So it's just a case of take each day as it comes now.  Vets again on Thursday (wish me luck getting him back in the cat carrier  :Nooooo:).  Back on that Metacam induced roller coaster for him, but at least I might get a decent nights sleep knowing he should be on the mend now.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 08:06:21 AM »
Hoping that Dillon is well enough to come home today

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2007, 13:06:42 PM »
Hi Liz

Have been off line for a couple days and just caught up.........
Sorry to hear your fur babies back in the vet. Its such an emotional rollercoaster with our babies isnt it. Little Dillon is in the best place (apart from with Mummy of course) Im sending get well vibes to little Dillon and a cyber hug to you

Head kisses from my gang to you too

xxxxxxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 01:13:06 AM »
Poor Dillon, do hope this ettles over the weekend  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 20:18:06 PM »
Poor little Dillon, he's in the best place though.  He'll need to stock up on cuddles and kisses on Monday to make up for the ones he has missed, Tiggy is sending another healing head kiss for him.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 16:48:46 PM »
Fingers crossed for Dillon.

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 16:32:14 PM »
Hi all, not much of an update today as Dillon has been remanded at the vets until Monday.   :'(  Apparently there is some "oozing" from his second surgery wound which they need to monitor.  By all accounts he's pretty calm & comfortable as he's doped up on painkillers  :tired:, so it's just fingers crossed now that this repair has been successful.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 22:15:45 PM »
Poor Dillon, give him an extra special healing head kiss from Tiggy when he comes home tomorrow.   :hug: to your sister too...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2007, 22:07:54 PM »
So sorry that Dillon needed another op but hopefully this time he will start to heal..............lots of healing vibes to you Mr Dillon

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2007, 19:25:52 PM »
What an awful time for you and your sister. I'm so sorry.  I hope Dillon is better tomorrow. Poor lamb sounds like he has quite a bit to hiss about. all the best to you all.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2007, 18:23:17 PM »
Poor Dillon - I'm so sorry to hear that he's going to be sore for a while yet. I wish him the speediest possible recovery.

I'm sorry to hear of your sister's loss.

:hug:  :hug:

Offline lizfraser

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 17:31:27 PM »
Dillon has been under the knife again today, as the original surgery had broken down because the skin that the internal stitches were in was so badly damaged that it has died away so everything had come adrift in his knee again.  Anyway, a double repair has now been done, he's staying at vets overnight, and should be back home tomorrow.  Apparently he's being very well behaved for the vet nurses, but he did hiss at the vet yesterday - first time I'd ever heard him hiss in 9 years - he's more of a growler. He is very very sore though and will be for many days.

Fingers crossed this time he'll be ok.  Was feeling very positive until I phoned my sister to tell her Dillon was OK, and found out her Cockatiel Zorba had died overnight, at 14 yrs he was a good age for a parrakeet, but it's still very sad.

Only other animal lovers can really appreciate how we feel when something happens to the non human members of our families, so all your good wishes have really helped the last week or so, and I'm sure many of you can appreciate how my little sis is feeling today.

Link to CatChat