Author Topic: Bad vets  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: Bad vets
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 22:56:24 PM »
I agree Gill. Its killing me knowing that when we move out of London, Caroline will no longer be able to be Lexy's vet.

Caroline does home visits as her business which is especially ideal for pets that find it too stressful to travel, as Lexy does.  We will probably be out of her travel range  :-[ . The amount of times Lexy has had to be seen after her surgeries, Caroline has been a godsend, and she really really has compassion for Lexy.  And Lexy doesn't growl at her, Caroline has the gentlest touch with my little one.

It's so sad to hear about the experiences others have had as well, so tragic. It think what makes it worse for us as humans is that we can actually tell a doctor what we feel or don't feel....our babes can't so we have to rely so heavily on the expertise we believe our vet has.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 22:47:23 PM »
Its Ok Saffron , its just that it brings back memories that 18 months on I keep trying to get to fade, maybe they never will but just thinking about makes me so very sad. My current vets are great but they use the same emergency service as the previous ones and I find that is hard to cope with, also the distance I would have to travel with a sick or injured cat.

its funny cos at one of my classes this week we were talking about vets in the area and there really isnt much choice and I wouldnt touch any of the practices they use with a barge pole but they dont want to have to travel as far as I do. I can see their point but I just feel to have a decent caring vet is so very important, even for mundane things like boosters. Aftrer seeing how they cared for untouchable Sasa, That made me feel so good. Also how Lucia laughed and laughed after Ducha spit out 3 worming tablets after holding the last one for about a minute and seeing her on her knees cuddling and kissing a big labrador in the waiting room who had recovered from something bad.

Thats what I want to see, vets who have an empathy with the animals and also  are good with the humans.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 18:50:14 PM »
I suppose I am lucky that although I had reason to complain about a vet not diagnosing an illness, I knew it wouldn't have made any difference to how long I had with her (it was picked up by my normal vet 2 days later anyway). My vet has given the last two I have had pts a sedation first - I didn't want it with Pebbles, as it took Blackie longer to go with it, but my vet was fond of Pebbles and didn't want to look into her eyes as she did it, so I respected her decision. Fortunately, it didn't drag on the second time. I actually would recommend that people think about how they would want things to happen, and what they would want afterwards - while it might sound morbid, esp if you have young cats, I do think it is better to think about this while you are in a good state of mind, rather than having to make decisions when you are incredibly upset.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 17:19:06 PM »
Aaahh Saffron please don't think I'm upset by this thread which of course is well intentioned. I'm upset about what happened to my little man not the thread. Hugs to everyone that has had a bad experience including you of course.  :hug:

saffron

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 15:28:11 PM »
So sorry to find this thread has upset a few people but that was NOT Lyn's the intent.
We all have various problems with vets from time to time & this was just a thread to let off steam so to speak.
Lynn is very aware of a really dreadfull,dreadfull situation that has happened to me & one of my cats & she didn't want anybody else to fall into the same trap as me.
As Kittybabe has said some vets are brilliant some are not, this thread was I know to help anyone who had a problem with their present vet.
 :hug: to anyone this thread has upset, & to Lyn many,many thanks for the good intentions as under no circumstances was it ment to upset people

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »
My sister's little baby girl Smudge was a little angel in our lives. So full of life, full of character, a right shmarmy little madam and oh those eyes could kill you in a second if she was not happy with you. When she turned 10 she started suffering with her breathing.  The vet diagnosed her as asthmatic and put her on quartezone...problem with this is it made her insatiably hungry. As it was they had a tough time controlling the speed at which she ate.

Anyway, my sister went away for a couple nights and I came in regularly to give Smudge her food, medication and just general play with her. Saturday, January 15th 2005 it was. At 7pm OH and I turned up to check on her and gave her food and I found her breathing a bit sluggish. My sister had said vet had said that was to be expected.  The vet had completely ignored my sister when she said the laboured breathing was not normal and it was stressful on our poor Smudge.

I sat with her a bit and she seemed to perk up when she got her meds and her food. So I left.  It was the worst thing I could have done. I called my sister to tell her about the breathing and how Smudge had perked up. At that point they were already on their way back home, about an hour away.  My sister got home and called me. They were taking Smudge to the vets.

An hour later I got a call, my sister in tears, saying that it wasn't asthma. The emergency vet ran a simply scan....Smudge had lymphomas in her throat which were so big and were causing her laboured breathing. The vet told them openly and honestly, there was nothing more to do. My sister kissed her baby goodnight and gave her a kiss from her auntie Ruth. Even my brother-in-law was beyond words.

I keep thinking to this day, two years later, that there was something I should have done. If I had got her to the vets earlier instead of just relying on what I was told. My sister has never blamed me, saying that there was nothing we could have done. The first vet would not listen and to the end they could have made Smudge's last days more bearable.

I don't think the vet was bad, I think that his compassion and his willingness to listen to his patients rather than go only with what he thought was right, was just not there. If he had thought outside his high and mightly perch, he would have gone that extra step to see if there was anything there. The emergency vet ran the scan just as a safe guard. And look what he found.

:censored: can't see through the tears. I miss Smudge every day. She was the little baby of our family. Lexy even looks like her and that was a pure spooky thing when madam chose me to come live with me. Sometimes, even if you have a good experience with a vet, its just like a doctor...not all of them are brilliant.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 12:01:18 PM by Kittybabe »

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 11:43:54 AM »
I think I'll skip this thread from now on as it's bringing it all back but thanks Millys Mum. When the next sad occasion arises, I will look into this in a lot more detail. Happily I am very happy with my current vet and trust him completely. I am so glad Gill that Kocka went peacefully. Both of my previous 2 experiences were like that and it can be very comforting.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 18:06:31 PM »
I thought they could sedate them so they just got calm. Kocka went to sleep very peacefully like I expected but she had been on a drip and they used that attachment. I dont know if she was a bit sedated before or not but she was just so very very ill by the time I saw her again and no choice but pts

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 17:41:12 PM »
there was an option to give Gandi something to calm him down beforehand

What they use makes them gag and vomit, it makes the whole experience visually worse. My precious had this and it wasnt pleasant  :'(

Im not sure if theres any other drugs available or not? Fortunately dont have a lot of pts experiences.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 17:01:57 PM »
Yes I know Desley but really just can't face it. It'll be a year in April and I still feel sick when I think about the pts experience I had with Gandolf. It's quite possible of course that what happened wasn't the fault of the vet at all and it's just one of those things.  However I should have been told that there was an option to give Gandi something to calm him down beforehand and I still think the vet nurse was not sufficiently experienced and allowed Gandi to struggle. I should have been allowed to hold him, as I requested, as I know how strong he was despite being so ill and I'm quite sure he would have been calmer with me holding him. You know?  It will never happen again of course. I know more now.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 07:48:14 AM »
Rosella - I can understand that it would have been hard at the time, but things wont change if people dont know there are problems.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 23:23:02 PM »
Tend to agree Desley.

Have to say that the doubt I had was with my vet's competence rather than his compassion which I didn't doubt for a minute therefore really couldn't face any confrontation and just went to another vet.  Am glad I moved but still feel a twinge of guilt about not explaining my move of vets to the vet concerned. He used to kiss Gandolf on the head whenever he saw him. Life's rarely black & white. :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 21:53:19 PM »
Me too - I did actually complain to the person who owned the surgery, but the answer annoyed me even more!! I am not sure that having a thread slagging off vets is all that good an idea though to be honest. There could be someone who has had a wonderful experience with teh vet that I complained about (and as a result we dont see each other - I thought the receptionists were being nice to me about it until the new one let it slip that the vet doesn't like to see me!! So, I have no chance to see if that was just a one off and that she really is a nice person). And they aren't here to defend themselves
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 19:28:01 PM »
 :hug: Rosella

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »
Well said Gill.  :hug:

I too can't go there re Gandolf RIP (which brought me to CatChat) but had far more excellent vet experiences than bad ones thankfully.

saffron

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 10:29:04 AM »
just seen this thread & it could be very interesting, so sorry gill you have had a bad time  :(  but maybe others have stories they can tell

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 00:58:32 AM »
Yes but but repeating story cos Kocka was just too precious and it hurts too much  :'(

Lyn

Bad vets
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »
Seeing as Saffron has had such an awful experience with a vet recently I just wondered if anyone else has had any bad experiences?

Link to CatChat