Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 2550 times)

saffron

Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 14:33:41 PM »
The RCVS are waiting for the vet to answer them but so far no news

saffron

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 19:08:28 PM »
thanks everyone will have to come back at a later date & tell the full story.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 15:23:15 PM »
Hi Saffron,

I have been following this one on theHovel and I think you already know my opinion.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 14:57:42 PM »
Tough one - it would, as other people have said, very much depend on what the orginal issue was and what the extras were - e.g. if your cat goes in for a thyroid removal and comes home with no lymph nodes as they all had tumours too, you'd probably be grateful. :Dont know:

Our vet gives us a consent form to sign, listing exactly what he intends to do, but then he also gets a vn to phone if he finds something new or if he can't do something (when our dog was spayed I got a phone call to say they couldn't trim her nails as there was nothing to trim, bless them).

If you sign a consent form and it says something about "other such surgery as the vet may consider necessary", you're probably stuffed  - unless you can prove that the surgery wasn't necessary and your vet's incompetent.

Do let us know what the outcome is, and more details when you can (legally etc). Just don't forget to include words such as 'alleged' so that you're covered against the aforementioned libel and slander...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 14:13:09 PM »
It's a difficult one. Without knowing the facts, if one of mine went in for a op and the vet discovered something else that needed doing that was more than trivial - ie a benign cyst. I would be grateful to them for dealing with it. Although I would expect a call if there was time unless it was life threatening. Unfortunately, not all of us have pockets as deep as vets.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 13:53:10 PM »
Slander, harmful statement in a transitory form, especially speech.  libel harmful statement in a fixed medium, especially writing.

You are quite right Susanne unless you know the full story it is impossible to comment. as a few missed out words can make it a very different ball game.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 13:55:32 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 12:21:40 PM »
I don't think that Saffron can fully discuss it yet on the forum because of the legal side of things but it is appalling :(
I think that without the facts it's impossible to pass judgement on this and although names have not been mentioned we should be careful we aren't guilty of slander ourselves (libel or slander - can never remember which applies to the written word!).  These things have a habit of becoming like chinese whispers where the actual story gets lost in telling as it's passed from person to person.  Certainly it's appalling if a vet has carried out an operation without consent, but why would a vet do that?  Was a mistake made?  Was a procedure carried out on the wrong cat?  Did the vet get the cat open and decide further surgery was necessary?  Did they attempt to contact the owner?  Was there time to do that?  Did they discuss with the owner prior to the operation what to do if something further was found?  was a consent form signed at all?  And if so did it mention any further procedures that might be deemed necessary?

So many questions that need answering before I feel I can pass any judgement on this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 10:57:45 AM »
Saffron i am really worried after receiving your PM.

What on earth has happened to her ?
Please get back to me and let me know that everything is ok (have Pm you too)

Big Hugs

Michelle xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »
It would depend upon what X, Y and Z were!  And what explanation the vet gave for doing them.  If a cat is under anaesthetic it isn't usually possible to go and phone the owner to discuss the situation.  But if they couldn't give a good reason and were, indeed, unnecessary then no I wouldn't pay

I agree but often when a cat is under anesthetic our vet will ring to say what the problem is and can they do whatever. Obviously we always say yes. If a person is not available then it may be a little different especially if the 'whatever' is necessary to the cats wellbeing,  then the owner should be grateful as if the surgery was vital it would be a shame to put the little one through anesthetic again so soon after.

Our vet always asks the availability of the owner and where they can be contacted throughout the day of the op.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 07:51:12 AM »
It would depend upon what X, Y and Z were!  And what explanation the vet gave for doing them.  If a cat is under anaesthetic it isn't usually possible to go and phone the owner to discuss the situation.  But if they couldn't give a good reason and were, indeed, unnecessary then no I wouldn't pay.

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 23:16:35 PM »
 >:( Hi everyone, i agree with ccmacey. If you think you know what the vet's going to do,then it seems a bit high-handed for him/her to do other things without your permission.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 22:53:14 PM »
Sending a virtual chin tickle for the poor cat.

Glad the RCVS are looking into it if they carried out unnecessary treatment.

saffron

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 21:12:41 PM »
well some money was paid otherwise the cat would not have been handed back, no contact was made to the owner & even though she made 2 calls to the surgery to check on her cat, she never new everything until after she had handed over her visa card & then a vn slipped around behind her dumping the cat on the floor & proudley anouced what they had done.
The matter is in the hands of the RCVS & it will go the legal route if matters are not resolved.
I just wanted too see what all of you thought, will be back to tell the complete story as soon as I can but in the mean time can positive thought be sent for little cat    :thanks:

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 19:40:49 PM »
No I would not pay if they have done it without your permission! I'm sure they had your number to call and get authorization. The only time I would pay is if it was totally necessary for the cats health and with them doing it I suppose it was? What have they done if you don't mind me asking.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 19:30:52 PM »
Pm me !
Would love to know which vet this is !!!

And in answer to your question NO i would not pay it !

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 19:17:25 PM »
No, I wouldn't expect them to do that.
Have you paid the billl?
Is the vet in question one of the practice owners?

saffron

What Would You Do?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 18:47:24 PM »
Lets put the situation like this, if you take your cat for op called A would you expect the vet (without your permission) to do other severe unnecessary things called X Y & Z, tell you to fit very expensive bill & B***** off???????        >:( :'( >:( :'(

Link to CatChat