Author Topic: Sooty - 16yrs young - not looking good  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Sooty - 16yrs young - not looking good
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 17:59:36 PM »
Have I got this completely wrong?

Hopefully yes, there are many reasons why a cat would lose weight. many can with medication be sorted. To be honest your instant reaction would not have entered my head initially.

Please let us know how you get on at the vets.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Sooty - 16yrs young - not looking good
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 17:57:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about Sooty.  I know it's easy to think the worst as we are so attached to our little ones but what you have described there could be many things, some easily treatable.  What immediately sprung to my mind is an overactive thyroid - hyperthyroid.  The symptoms of this are a voracious appetite yet weight loss, scruffy looking fur and it is very common in elderly cats,  it is treatable with daily tablets or if the cat were up to it a relatively minor operation.

Good luck at the vets, please keep us updated.  Will be thinking of you...

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
Sooty - 16yrs young - not looking good
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 17:42:27 PM »
I turned up at my mum's today to pick up my little boy and saw to my horror that the family cat Sooty has lost a horrendous amount of weight - I can almost see her ribs. Mum says she's eating like a horse - my instant reaction was stomach cancer - mum said she couldn't feel anything but I'm sure you wouldn't always feel it if its inside the stomach???

Have I got this completely wrong? I have agreed to take her to the vet tomorrow - she's been there twice in 16yrs - to be neutered and vaccinated - she's NEVER been ill, hence why I thought it only fair to take her asap - she is absolutely fine in herself though, no sickness, still bounding about, but literally stick thin.

I have that knot in my stomach that says she won't be coming home with me - and I'm the worst person to do this too cos I'm so emotional! I didn't go in with our dog Jess when she was pts as I was 7 months pregnant and couldn't cope, but I've vowed to be there with all the furbabies as I don't want them to be lonely.
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Link to CatChat