Author Topic: Sooty - 16yrs young - not looking good  (Read 7602 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Sooty - 16yrs young - not looking good
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 14:54:14 PM »
Does anyone know how Sooty is?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 17:36:46 PM »
I didn't think they would be able to feel the thyroid unless it was very advanced

My friend has a golden oldie whos thyroid was palpable so she had a T4 sent off and it came back as normal, so testing is certainly the best way to go!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 15:17:09 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 21:51:38 PM »
I think if you have an elderly cat that is unwell and you are doing blood tests it makes sense to include this test as it is such a common problem.

Desley, as far as i know they can get a goitre (the name for the swelling felt when the thyroid is overactive) anyway. One of the vets i work with examined a cat recently whose thyroid seemed to be very low down and it was difficult to palpate anyway so they ran the test to be on the safe side.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 18:18:50 PM »
I agree with you that they should do the test anyway as it could be the top end of the normal range anyway. 
When the Proot's thyroid was diagnosed the vet said some cats show symptoms at the higher end of the normal range - they tested him even though they couldn't feel any lumps.  Glad they did as his was very high.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 07:55:12 AM »
Fingers crossed Kelly.
I didn't think they would be able to feel the thyroid unless it was very advanced Amanda, I do wonder why they dont seem to like checking thyroids.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:39 AM »
They definitely did a thyroid test Gill - that was what he said he thought the problem was and he said he would test the blood for thyroid/kidney probs. Hopefully we will know more today
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 00:55:35 AM »
If they have done a full blood profile, (which hopefully for that amount of money they have!), then it will not show too much information when it comes to tumours as such. It would show any problems with either the blood or the organs and then from there they can eliminate things such as tumours or various diseases. They may have a problem with their blood machine but i can appreciate that they might not like it if you say that! But seriously the thyroid test on the blood machine at my work went wrong the other day and was giving out incorrect results so i know it is a possibility. Maybe you could suggest that they send the sample away but you will probably need to go back for this so that they can take some more blood.  I agree that waiting for 6 weeks isn`t really a good idea but i hope you get it sorted out soon.

Desley, i know what you mean about vets saying that they can`t feel a thyroid so whats the point. I agree with you that they should do the test anyway as it could be the top end of the normal range anyway. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 20:51:47 PM »
Just looked back down the thread , were thyroid tests done? I know Kockas took 24 hrs to come back and sahe had a benign tumour  on one thyroid and her weight loss was more gradual but she never put it back on again after the removal of the thyroid.

If you get the numbers from the test there are knowledgable peeps.............not me..........on here that can tell you what they look like.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 20:44:08 PM »
Mum's calling tomorrow - going to ask for a break down of results. The vet did say there were no indications of tumours so I'm assuming bloods can show this?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 20:41:06 PM »
I agree losing that much weight in 7 days is just not on and a 6 weeks to see the vet again is rubbish.

Do blood tests show indications of tumours? If so you definately need to get a copy of results and maybe get second opinion and if not I would go to another vet to get all the tests that are needed.

I do hope this is sorted out quickly cos I dont think it can wait.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 15:15:46 PM »
I'll pass on all the advice when I get home - I did think it was all very fast and very 'oh she's fine' when losing soooo much weight in the space of 7days can't be normal in any stretch of the imagination! You just expect the experts to do these things properly I guess!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 14:06:53 PM »
Kelly, can you get your parents to get a copy of the blood test results? I always believe its a good idea to have a copy yourself, and my vet always puts one ready for me now, and she will also go through the results with me too.  You can then see what the actual number for the T4 test was and ask the vet what is considered normal. My Elsa's T4 test was sent away to the lab. The fast heart rate sounds worrying to me too.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
I would tell your parents to go for a second opinion, taking her back in 6 weeks isnt on. Cats dont lose weight with age, they put weight on with age

I agree that I would not wait 6 weeks, although I have always found that with my cats  those that have had a weight change  have tended to lose weight rather than put it on with age.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:12:55 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 09:46:02 AM »
Different vets charge different prices though Ela

Don't I know it. I deal with over 50 vets. The price difference is vast in some cases I suppose overheads also play a big part.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 09:35:52 AM »
The £55 I paid was for a test sent away to a lab.  I think it's cheaper in house but I don't think they do the thyroid one in house.   I do hope you get to the bottom of Sooty's problems. I agree with Desley - perhaps a second opinion is needed here.  Cats can get thin with old age but it's usually caused by something specific, such as thyroid problem.  I'd be concerned about the heart rate too.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 09:26:54 AM »
Different vets charge different prices though Ela - I still agree it sounds excessive, but I do pay between £70 and £80 for my geriatric blood panels as they are sent to the lab due to the thyroid test.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 09:23:19 AM »
Ela - thyroid tests can be done in house -

I was just checking as it apprears that something is wrong somewhere. The collection, handling and external fee for Jeannie last week was  £32.78 Then of course consultation fees. blood pressure measureman GHP + Electrolytes etc and before you know it £161. 41 but worth every penny.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 09:07:47 AM »
I would tell your parents to go for a second opinion, taking her back in 6 weeks isnt on. Cats dont lose weight with age, they put weight on with age, so it isn't just old age. Consultation fee is incredibly high though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 09:03:34 AM »
Looking at the receipt it says a t4 test and 2 in house tests - no idea what they mean! The vet just said take her back in 6 weeks it may just be old age but she really is like a bag of bones bless her. The tests were actually cheaper than I thought £30 consultation fee and £52 tests. He did say he found nothing at all in her bloods so we're kind of in limbo! If it is just old age then she ain't got long cos there's not much more weight she can lose!!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 22:01:27 PM »
WEll, the rescues vet has the attitude that if he can feel the thyroid then he will test a cat, but if he cant feel anything there is no point doing a test - not an attitude I like personally, I want to know numbers so they can be compared each year, as to me, they might not be high enough to be an obvious indicator, but they could be higher than last years, so could still need looking at.
Kelly, another thing has just occured to me - as you got the results the same day, they will have been done in house, in which case nearly 100 was incredibly expensive, I dont pay that much for the super duper lab test and wouldnt be happy at paying it for in house tests.
Please spay your cat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 21:56:10 PM »
I can believe this Desley. Some vets don`t seem overly keen to test older cats for this when they do a routine screen. They say that because a cat doesn`t have a particularly high heart rate then it`s not worth it but i have seen some come back as abnormal regardless. Maybe it`s because things like the heart rate etc haven`t started to go out of control yet.

In this case if it was my cat i would see if they can send the blood away and test it externally. I know it might not sound easy, trying to tell the vets what you think they should do but all of this points to hyperthyroidism so it might be worth checking.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 21:46:28 PM »
Ela - thyroid tests can be done in house - the rescues vet has a special add on to their blood testing machine that can do them, but they can only buy the slides in packs of 5 and they have a very short shelf life, so they send theirs out (but they are odd when it comes to thyroid testing, they actually tried to talk me out of having mine tested!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 21:41:11 PM »
Most of our vets bloods are tested in house however the thyroid has to be sent off, are you sure the thyroid results are known?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 21:38:13 PM »
I agree with Amanda, it sounds strange with a racing heartbeat too - what kind of thyroid test did they do, there are two, and one is more accurate. Plus, I have heard of cats having high normal results but yet still needing meds as it was still too high for their system, so that is a possibility. I do agree that it is slightly pricey, I pay around £80 for my geriatric blood tests. I am always there with my cats though, they took Pebbles out the back for one of hers, and she came back very stressed and with no blood taken, so I wont let them take mine in the back again.
Please spay your cat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 21:20:46 PM »
Thats very strange Kelly because a heart rate of 220 beats with weight loss/increased hunger usually points to hyperthyroidism as everyone else already mentioned. That is quite a high heart rate, are they sure the results are correct?!

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 20:59:13 PM »
Ok so now I'm confused! Mum has just had a call from the vet - Sooty's bloods are clear - she's perfectly healthy in the thyroid, kidney etc dept?!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 20:51:09 PM »
When do the results come back?

Last Wednesday my Jeannie had bloods taken for suspected thyroid and the results came back Fri morning.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 21:37:50 PM by Ela »

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 20:44:03 PM »
Glad it's all over and done!  When do the results come back?
Our vet also takes the cats out of sight to do the blood tests, which I'm relieved about.  Our tests cost £75.
Proot also had a very high pulse and a slight heart murmur which are much better now.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 18:42:47 PM »
Oh bless her.  I think I'm glad they took Jaffa out the back (I stayed in the waiting room) when he had bloods taken from his neck.  Fingers crossed it's something manageable for Sooty.

That does sound rather pricey if all you had done was the blood test.  When Jaffa had his (full senior blood panel including thyroid) it was approx £55.  That did exclude consultation fee as the vet didn't turn up so the nurse just took the blood sample (had booked him in specifically for the blood tests) so it would have come to about £75 - £80 if I'd seen the vet too. 

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 18:31:22 PM »
Well that visit was more traumatising than I thought!!!!! They took her bloods - IN HER NECK - my poor baby!!! I nearly passed out as he had to try 4 times!!!! She was sooooo good though bless her!!!!! Then mum got the bill! Don't get me wrong they would pay anything for her (not insured - parents are 'old school' so never even thought about it) but mum nearly fainted when the bill was £100! I have no idea if this is normal for blood tests or not but I am SO glad Archie is insured.

Now we wait for the results. He was concerned about her heart rate 220, but he said thyroid probs can do that so we'll see.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 08:11:57 AM »
My first instinct was thyroid too, and I sincerely hope for you and your family it is something simple like that Kelly, as it is easily managed and cats can live for years with it. Good luck, and do let us know - you are best asking teh vet to do a full geriatric panel - will check thyroid, and also liver and kidney (thyroid probs can mask kidney probs though) and some other stuff (just forget what!!).
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 23:06:02 PM »
With Kocka it was thyroid too , hope everything goes well at the vets.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 18:37:05 PM »
Fingers crossed for Sooty - as has been said hopefully this will be something straightforward and the vet will have him sorted in no time.

When he adopted us last summer The Proot was virtually skeletal, but and eating fit to bust - you guessed it - thyroid...he was like a different cat once he started the tablets.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 18:31:55 PM »
I know others have already said it but just to help put your mind to rest even more i must say the first thing i thought of when i read your post was Thyroid  - weight loss and eating loads is the classic sign.

fingers crossed this is what it is and then easily controlled with tablets (or an Op if you want to and cat is well enough)

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 18:22:36 PM »
Well thank you guys - I feel better about our trip to the vets already - I had stealed myself for the worst but its nice to know there are other options - THANK YOU

:thanks:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 18:08:02 PM »
My first thought would have been the same as Helen's, hyperthryoidism - having seen it my 19 yr old Elsa. She had a huge appetitie, yet lost weight, but has been on medication for about a year now, the condition stabilised and she put on some weight. But anyway, a blood test will tell you for sure.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 18:07:16 PM »
Don't forget Ela - I'm just a fosterer I don't know the full ins and outs of a cat's health

I know but I don't want you to worry to much, there are just so many things it can be.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 18:07:08 PM »
My neighbours cat, Gershwin was as thin as a rake so Daph took him to the vets and it was thyroid - he had it removed last week and is fine and gradually gaining weight - fingers crossed for you  :catluv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 18:04:40 PM »
Don't forget Ela - I'm just a fosterer I don't know the full ins and outs of a cat's health  ;) but I've seen what stomach cancer does to us humans - hence my initial reaction. I hope it is a thyroid problem, something that can be fixed - it was just a shock seeing her looking so old if that makes sense!!!!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 18:03:59 PM »
Best of luck to you and Sooty  :luck: Thinking of you. xx
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Link to CatChat