Author Topic: Filtered Water  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Filtered Water
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 19:00:02 PM »
Thanks Smudge,

In the meantime I will give them bottled water - The water I get from Lidl is spring water rather than mineral water - not sure what the difference is?

Who would have thought water could be so complicated. I even read somewhere that by filtering water, you are missing out on the calcium  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 12:50:59 PM »
My vet toled me that Bella with her CRF was better having bottled water as our area water contained high potassium levels. Im sure your local water authourity would be ableto tell you about your water or even your vets as mine knew about my water content

good luck

xxxxx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 10:41:18 AM »
We've been giving Jess tap water is this a no no then?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 13:40:06 PM »
Ok, not an expert, but many cats with CRF have low potassium levels, BUT, some CRF cats have high potassium levels, and that can be dangerous (whether potassium is high or low will show in the blood tests) -  but how the amounts of potassium in bottled, filtered, spring waters and even tap water affect these levels - I don't know and would be interested to find out too.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 13:30:29 PM »
I've done a spot of web research over my lentil soup and found this site about CRF:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_chronic_renal_failure.html

Mark, check out the potassium entry - it says that the failing kidney does not conserve potassium efficiently and supplementation may be needed.

That would suggest that the potassium in filtered water is OK, wouldn't it?? :scared:  :-:   :scared: I'd be really interested to hear any expert input.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
I'm confused as I thought phosphorus was the no-no - but it definately said pottasium in regard to kidney disease. It said you can call their careline and get advice that you "may wish to discuss with your GP" :evillaugh: :Crazy:

What happened to the days when you gave your cats a bowl of milk and a lump of raw liver?  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 11:38:26 AM »
Oh - I've been giving Blip filtered water since she came to us seven years ago. Any chemists out there who can shed more light on this issue?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:55:56 AM »
I am worried as Clapton, My CRF cat drinks lots of water (about a cup a day) so want to give him water with minimal or none in it.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
Even with bottled, there's a big difference in potassium and particularly sodium and nitrate levels.  I was told (so AFAIK) that Evian is the purest?  I don't know how to find any comparisons for what's in our ordinary tap water. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Filtered Water
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 09:32:56 AM »
I have been giving the cats filtered water recently but I bought a new Brita Maxtra last week (40th Anniversary offer - £15 including 3 filters!) The booklet had a warning for people with kidney problems saying that filtered water has raised pottassium levels. I guess the way to go is bottled water? (I get spring water in Lidl - 25p for 2L)

Link to CatChat