Author Topic: Vomiting up food a few hours after eating: what could it be?  (Read 15141 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Vomiting up food a few hours after eating: what could it be?
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 19:00:39 PM »
infact the birmans are very good at it.

Don't I know it, one of our fosterers has 6 cats and 4 are Birmans, when she goes away I go to her house twice a day, what a nightmare. We are forever hoovering and cleaning piles ( and not carpet piles either) from the cream carpet.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 18:31:22 PM »
I agree with Christine and find it very useful to hear what others think or have had experience with, vets dont always know or are not the best as we have discovered so many times on Purrs and CC.

My Ducha is often sick, infact the birmans are very good at it. Sometimes its grass or fur and maybe sometimes just gobbling and I am not sure if I would know if they were sick for real cos they are sick so much. Maybe its just cos they seem to moult continuously no matter how much they are groomed, so fur is the usual reason.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 17:39:57 PM »
As long as we all do what we believe in then that is fine and I respect your views and possibly agree with them.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 17:34:25 PM »
I personally don't go along with the notion of just leaving it to the vet (or the doctor, lawyer...) and genuinely believe it is helpful for people to engage their professional advisors armed with as much knowledge as possible. I also believe that folks can tell others what to look out for. It's an attitude which has helped me all my life, which is why I recommend it.

:Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 17:11:03 PM »
My reply on the other topic:-
I appreciate what you say however when some problems are posted I know some things it can be that are easily solved and others that most certainly are not, so in these cases I personally would rather air on the side of caution and just leave it to the vet. My cat could well have the same symptoms so I post what it was yet another cat’s problems could be totally different with the same symptoms. Also some people (not in this case I am sure)  they take what we say   as gospel or think it could be the least serious of things we write because that is what they want to think,  when in fact it could be something that needs veterinary care ASAP. e.g Although a worse case scenario, had I posted on a dog board that my Badger had been sick but seems OK now, I expect folks would have said see how he goes. Yet had we not taken him to the vets he would have been dead in the hour. Yet in another case of sickness it could just be gluttony, “ minutes before he had been sick he had been running around like a puppy and we had not an inkling there was anything seriously wrong with him.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 16:28:52 PM »
The  vet is really the only person who can help you with Max. We could be so wide off the mark giving any advice and the symptoms appear in many problems.

As I posted elsewhere, Ela, l think it's good to learn from the experiences of others, if only to give Swampmaxmum (in this case) options to discuss with her vet as together they move towards a diagnosis. Someone here may suggest something to look out for or to ask and that may be useful for Max.

:Luv:

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 16:14:57 PM »
All I can do is offer the same advice as I have on another topic which is not much help to you at all:- To be honest  The  vet is really the only person who can help you with Max. We could be so wide off the mark giving any advice and the symptoms appear in many problems. Also dehydration is not good as if not nipped in the bud can lead to organ failure. Trust me I know exactly how helpless you must be feeling especially with the fortnight I have had with my pets.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 15:15:15 PM »
I'm just acknowledging your post as I don't know what could be happening with little Max ( I only know that in humans a raised red cell count can indicate a level of dehydration).  I think you're right that there was another discussion about something similar a short while ago: I'm sure someone of more practical use to you will be along in a minute.

:hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Vomiting up food a few hours after eating: what could it be?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 13:27:25 PM »
My other cat, Max started vomiting up his normal dry food about a month or more ago. I put him on the (old) canned l/d on which he did well. When they changed that formula, I tried him on k/d wet food and Specific food (renal) but those caused him to vomit quite frequently, always 2-3 hours after eating.  The vet put him on canned i/d a week ago and took blood from him.  He couldn't find a linear link between the results and the vomiting. He has no fever. He's hungry and eats well, but he can't keep his food down - all weekend he's vomited between 45 mins to 3 hours after eating (I've had to give little amounts with long intervals in between). Originally when the vomiting was sporadic my vet tried him on Katalax in case it was a furball, but I don't think so - for one thing, he's a lazy groomer.

His bloods had his urea normal but creatinine too high, protein too high, red cell count too high and glucose high, but the last is apparently probably stress related as Max is petrified at the vet.  ALT of 35 which is above normal but apparently not significantly so. Slight dehydration but he'd vomited and been starved before his test and he's not a great water drinker.

I am worried that there could be either a blockage or some kind of inflammation as it is weird that he did not vomit for a week, then this weekend has been terrible and also that it takes such a relatively long time after eating for him to vomit.  The way it happens is that he eats well and enthusiastically, has a good sleep, wakes up, sits upright and projectile vomits before he has had time to move (poor Swampy who curls up with him has been vomited on twice now).  He must be a bit dehydrated but for the moment he's still active, yelling for food (not getting any). I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow if he'll see him as the emergency lot say if he's still active, no point in going there as they will just stabilise him.

Looks like a week of tests, so I am very doubtful that I can get to France to sort out Swampy's food shipment. I can't leave him on his own all day.  I know someone (sorry I forget who) said their cat had something blocking his tum which caused these sort of symptoms.  Has anyone got any ideas or similar experiences as I'm really worried.

Link to CatChat